Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
Misfit

AC wiring location

Hello I have a 341RKI and I want to install an inverter that includes an automatic transfer switch. My fuse panel is at the rear wall. Do I need to run wire all the way to the front where the battery and inverter will be located and then back to the fuse panel?
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You want the inverter as CLOSE TO THE BATTERY(S) as possible.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
stryker8

AC wiring location

If I understand your question correctly the answer is no.

Your battery and inverter are located up front so you will

have an inline fuse or breaker in the DC feeder between

battery and inverter. The fuse or breaker usually needs to

be within 18" of the battery. You will need an AC feeder

from your inverter or ATS if it is not integral with the

inverter back to your AC panel. Follow any manufacturers

instructions included with the inverter and with the ATS if

it is a separate unit. With electrical upgrades the simpler

the intallation the better.
stryker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

any quality inverter should have an internal automatic transfer switch, so you will have pass through when on shore power and inverter power when unplugged from shore power and on inverter power.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ agree with the above. Remember, if you use an inverter with an integral automatic transfer switch, it will only switch between shore power/battery power AT THE TRANSFER SWITCH. It will not shut down your converter/charger, usually a part of the trailer power distribution center. So, unless you have a means to also turn off the converter charger when on battery power, as soon as the inverter switches to providing AC power from the battery, you'll also be using the inverter to charge the battery through t he power center. So, you'll need to determine how to shut down the trailer converter/charger when on inverter power. I don't know of any Keystone trailer with a "solar ready package" that includes provisions to protect the aftermarket inverter/ATS from the "circular battery charging sequence.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
Misfit

Ok the inverter will be next to the battery. The issue is I need to run the AC (shore power) to the inverter (so the automatic switch can work), then run the AC (either shore power or inverter) from the inverter back to the fuse panel. I believe this is correct. Any guidance if not correct is welcome.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
Ok the inverter will be next to the battery. The issue is I need to run the AC (shore power) to the inverter (so the automatic switch can work), then run the AC (either shore power or inverter) from the inverter back to the fuse panel. I believe this is correct. Any guidance if not correct is welcome.

Yes it is, sort of. Is your trailer 30A or 50A service and what are you wanting to power with the inverter?

Old 11-20-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yes it is, sort of. Is your trailer 30A or 50A service and what are you wanting to power with the inverter?
It is a 50 amp service. I was going to disconnect one side from the fuse panel and connect to the wire that I will run up front to the inverter. I want to run outlets, microwave mainly. I'm will not run the AC from the inverter.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Make sure what you want to power is on one the leg your going to power from the inverter. I would move wires around if needed.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #10
Misfit

Quote:
Make sure what you want to power is on one the leg your going to power from the inverter. I would move wires around if needed.
Yes that is the plan. I will move all the AC items that I want to power onto one side of the fuse panel.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #11
Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
^^^ agree with the above. Remember, if you use an inverter with an integral automatic transfer switch, it will only switch between shore power/battery power AT THE TRANSFER SWITCH. It will not shut down your converter/charger, usually a part of the trailer power distribution center. So, unless you have a means to also turn off the converter charger when on battery power, as soon as the inverter switches to providing AC power from the battery, you'll also be using the inverter to charge the battery through t he power center. So, you'll need to determine how to shut down the trailer converter/charger when on inverter power. I don't know of any Keystone trailer with a "solar ready package" that includes provisions to protect the aftermarket inverter/ATS from the "circular battery charging sequence.
Yes disconnecting the onboard rv battery charger is another item I need to look into.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

And make sure the converter is on the other side. If it’s a stand alone and plugged into the back of the breaker panel, I’m not sure which leg would power it.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #13
Misfit

Quote:
And make sure the converter is on the other side. If it’s a stand alone and plugged into the back of the breaker panel, I’m not sure which leg would power it.
Good point. If it is on the other leg with shore power, then I'm good. Should be easy to figure this out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
Misfit

So the inverter I'm looking to buy has a better battery charger built in. So this charger will work when on shore power. Seem I need to find the fuse for the onboard charger and permanently disconnect it. Problem solved.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Or if it’s stand alone just unplug it.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:21 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
So the inverter I'm looking to buy has a better battery charger built in. So this charger will work when on shore power. Seem I need to find the fuse for the onboard charger and permanently disconnect it. Problem solved.
Be careful using a "built in battery charger" installed in an inverter to power the trailer... While it may work OK, it's not going to have the "oomph" needed to run the furnace while charging the battery.... What Keystone installed is a "converter/charger" not a "charger"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #17
stryker8

AC wiring location

Quote:

You should only need one set of AC conductors from the inverter output to the fuse panel. The inverter will detect shore power from the same source that it is feeding. Grid tie inverters for home solar installations do this. You don't need a separate AC in and AC out unless for some reason it was in the manufacturers installation insructions. It looks like you got it mostly figured out, it is nice to have a forum like this. I'm not an RV expert or anything but I have some electrical experience: 6 months@ Country Coach. Electrician in stages 1,2,and 3 in the bus division and I've worked as an Inside Electrician 20 years IBEW Local 280
stryker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker8 View Post
You should only need one set of AC conductors from the inverter output to the fuse panel. The inverter will detect shore power from the same source that it is feeding. Grid tie inverters for home solar installations do this. You don't need a separate AC in and AC out unless for some reason it was in the manufacturers installation insructions. It looks like you got it mostly figured out, it is nice to have a forum like this. I'm not an RV expert or anything but I have some electrical experience: 6 months@ Country Coach. Electrician in stages 1,2,and 3 in the bus division and I've worked as an Inside Electrician 20 years IBEW Local 280
Most RV inverters have AC in and AC out with an internal automatic “transfer switch”.

Tags
wiring