Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
WYrv

Buying Used, Pay for extended warranty??

What is the general consensus on additional warranties? We are buying a 2020 291 UBH. Appears to be in like new shape. Only found 2 little issues. Next week when we buy I have a long check list and plan to spend hours going through everything having the salesman show us everything works etc.

Should we purchase an extended warranty? Or should am I better off just keeping an extra $5,000 in my bank for an RV emergency fund?

I have researched, and found tons of articles, but all the article felt like they were written by people paid for by the industry. So I feel the article are slanted.

Our plan is to own this RV for 7 years then in 7 years trade in for a different one…
WYrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
travelin texans

Bank the warranty money for that "just in case" fund & skip the extended warranty.
Those warranties usually have a very long list of "exclusions" & a VERY short list of "includes, but". Not to mention the VERY long wait times at most dealer service centers to get it into.
If you're somewhat of a handyman with tools, basic knowledge of plumbing & 12 volt/120 volt electrical systems & not afraid to get your hands dirty you'll be much better off asking advice about "how to" here & watching Utube videos to do your own repairs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Set aside a little money each month, and in the end if you dont have any repairs you will have a nice down payment towards the one you want.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
notanlines

Favorite phrase from the 80's: Negatory, big momma! Just like was suggested, bank a little here and there and go on with your life.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

There is a reason the dealerships push those warranties so hard - they generate tons of revenue. How? Owners pay far more for those warranties than the warranty companies ever expend back on the policy holders. If you've got that 5k to put in a piggy bank I would wholeheartedly recommend doing it. In the end you may have a good start toward the next RV in 7 years.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty