Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2021, 03:30 AM   #1
jska142

Electric Question for installing a household refrigerator

I am taking out the Atwood Helium 6 RV refrigerator...and replacing it with whatever will fit in it's spot with a household refrigerator...It looks pretty straightforward, just find something at Lowe's or Home Depot that will fit but some sites say "you won't find a 120 volt outlet in the rear of your current refrigerator" but ( not being a electrical guy ) the plug for that RV is plugged into an outlet at the back of the refrigerator.
Now I wouldn't know other than it looks like a regular outlet.... some sites say I need an inverter? I haven't but I'll bet that I could plug in some sort of coffee maker etc and it would work... at least that's what I think.
This is a 2014 Passport 3220BH...so if anyone has info for me I would greatly appreciate it as we are going out again in 3 weeks and want to get one.
Nobody likes warm beer.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:50 AM   #2
ChuckS

If your current RV fridge has a 120 volt AC outlet then yes.. a residential fridge will plug right in and work just fine.. verify this before hand by simply using a multi meter and measure the voltage at that outlet... takes 10 seconds

However... when you are not plugged into shore power that outlet is DEAD.. that's where the inverter and battery to power the inverter comes into play.

your fridge will be dead unless you rewire that outlet so that it gets power via both shore power when hooked up and an inverter when not plugged into shore power..

A auto pass thru inverter will take care of this for you provided you know what you are doing when it comes to electrical wiring and working on 120 volt AC circuits

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:35 AM   #3
jska142

Thanks for the reply...Appreciate it I'm going to get the Atwood out tonight
Old 07-13-2021, 05:12 AM   #4
Laredo Tugger

I have read some posts on different forums addressing the front door size of the trailer (for fridge replacement) and making sure what you are taking out and putting in will fit. Even heard of dealerships that had to build scaffolding next to the trailer and remove a large window to remove/install a fridge. A quick lap around the project with a tape measure will probably save you some heartburn. Sounds like you got this planned out, good luck.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote