Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #21
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is only my opinion, so others may not agree.....

Here's what I have in our range hood (ours is vented outside): https://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Oper.../dp/B00VAAQ3VE There are several other members who also have installed this system and I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain that it's not a worthwhile upgrade.

A fantastic fan in the ceiling is not a very good replacement for a range hood with an efficient exhaust fan. There are "OEM fans that simply don't work worth a hoot" and a fantastic fan is better than them, but there's a "replacement quality exhaust fan" kit available that adds a "high volume exhaust fan". That kit is significantly less noise, works like a "home style range hood" and actually removes the heat/humidity from cooking.

Back to the fantastic fan: If you turn on the fantastic fan and draw the cooking grease/humidity/heat up to the ceiling, the grease is going to collect on the fantastic fan blades, motor and the plastic dome of the roof vent. While (as I said) it's better than nothing, keeping the fantastic fan clean and free of grease is not a "fun job".... In the winter, don't forget to clean it before storage... All that grease "smells like food" to any rodent, so they tend to be attracted to your trailer roof, drawn up there by the smells....

Better than nothing, but.........
John that is an interesting add-on. Does it just mount to the existing hood? Does it use the existing vent opening or require enlarging it?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #22
jvbutter01

Quote:
This is only my opinion, so others may not agree.....

Here's what I have in our range hood (ours is vented outside): https://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Oper.../dp/B00VAAQ3VE There are several other members who also have installed this system and I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain that it's not a worthwhile upgrade.
Thanks for the link. I do need that. For now, my option is to put a fan in the window that is right next to the stove top. It does great job at pumping everything out side. Not sure why there is not outside vents on these hood vents. Seems pretty stupid to just circulate the smoke from my bacon cooking.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:59 AM   #23
BookPaul74

Quote:
You can buy the flap without having to buy the whole vent assembly. The "trick" is to find it for the right price. CW sells the entire vent assembly for $21 and just the flap costs $17. Might as well get the spare parts for that price. Some places do sell "just the flap" for $6 or $7, so.....

Here's one: https://www.starsupplyusa.com/produc...hoCsTsQAvD_BwE
Thanks mine I noticed was broken last winter, the flap is still there but the tiny pins molded into the ends broke. To keep the wind out I held it in place and folded a scrubber sponge in half and stuck it between the vent and flap.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:25 AM   #24
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
Thanks mine I noticed was broken last winter, the flap is still there but the tiny pins molded into the ends broke. To keep the wind out I held it in place and folded a scrubber sponge in half and stuck it between the vent and flap.
I had the same issue on a previous camper. I repair it by cutting a heavy wire coat hanger and attaching it along the top of the flap with metallic duct tape, letting the ends project a quarter inch on each side and using those as pins.
Andersen hitch
Old 06-26-2021, 06:21 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
John that is an interesting add-on. Does it just mount to the existing hood? Does it use the existing vent opening or require enlarging it?
It's a "plug and play" modification to your existing range hood. The existing fan and structure are removed from the range hood shell, the new "improved" box and fan are installed on the range hood shell and connected to the existing switches. Then the modified range hood is reinstalled using the existing screws.

It comes with a different style exterior vent cover that allows for improved airflow, but it will also work with the existing "flapper style vent". There is no need to cut a larger hole or to modify the trailer in any way.

The new fan has 3 speeds and a "positive closure slide". The fan on low will move more air than the OEM fan and on high is not as loud as the OEM fan. We use the fan on low most of the time when cooking and on high to help cool the trailer when we first arrive on a campsite. It moves almost as much air out of the trailer as our Fantastic Roof Vent fan.

There are a couple of people on the forum that I'm aware have installed the range hood fan kit and all of them have been very impressed with the improved performance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #26
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I had the same issue on a previous camper. I repair it by cutting a heavy wire coat hanger and attaching it along the top of the flap with metallic duct tape, letting the ends project a quarter inch on each side and using those as pins.
That’s been a thought but at the time I don’t have any metal hangers around. 🙄😁 I was thinking of brazing rod.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #27
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
That’s been a thought but at the time I don’t have any metal hangers around. 🙄😁 I was thinking of brazing rod.
A brazing rod would be even better, but I had none at the time.
Andersen hitch
Old 06-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #28
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
It's a "plug and play" modification to your existing range hood. The existing fan and structure are removed from the range hood shell, the new "improved" box and fan are installed on the range hood shell and connected to the existing switches. Then the modified range hood is reinstalled using the existing screws.

It comes with a different style exterior vent cover that allows for improved airflow, but it will also work with the existing "flapper style vent". There is no need to cut a larger hole or to modify the trailer in any way.

The new fan has 3 speeds and a "positive closure slide". The fan on low will move more air than the OEM fan and on high is not as loud as the OEM fan. We use the fan on low most of the time when cooking and on high to help cool the trailer when we first arrive on a campsite. It moves almost as much air out of the trailer as our Fantastic Roof Vent fan.

There are a couple of people on the forum that I'm aware have installed the range hood fan kit and all of them have been very impressed with the improved performance.
Thanks John. That sounds like a good upgrade.
Andersen hitch
Old 03-27-2022, 02:24 PM   #29
jvbutter01

Quote:
hello there, working on this mod now for my Passport. Does your hood mount up to the exterior wall? Mine is about 4" away from the wall. I am thinking of ideas to make the duct. Looked at HD / Lowes have some metal, would rather have a factory fit piece if possible.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
hello there, working on this mod now for my Passport. Does your hood mount up to the exterior wall? Mine is about 4" away from the wall. I am thinking of ideas to make the duct. Looked at HD / Lowes have some metal, would rather have a factory fit piece if possible.
I'm not sure what you're facing.... The range hood outer shell and ducting to the sidewall is reused and it fits in exactly the same location and connects to the sidewall exactly as it did before the conversion. There is no difference in how it is attached to the cabinet or in how it is ducted outside.... Are you replacing the "ENTIRE" range hood or installing the conversion kit ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #31
JohnP

I lost my flapper and just made a new one from a piece of alluminum siding , then put a heavy wire guage straight through from the one pivot to the other. Instead of the oem having a little tab ( about 1/8" ) on each end which will easily blow out if you forget to fasten the tabs. I also had to cut in an exhaust port through the trailer wall for the range hood. It really amazes me how the trailer manufacturers try to save costs on such really important features of a R.V. !!! Why not make a great name for your product. Instead , we have to criticize your products on the forums. Obviously the manufacturers don't participate in these great forums. Are they ashamed to join ???
Old 03-28-2022, 02:29 AM   #32
notanlines

DW and I are members that John spoke of who made the change with this hood modification kit. Best $200 we ever spent on ANY RV. As John said, it is a plug and play, and it will suck the socks off a rooster, and do it quietly!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:08 AM   #33
jvbutter01

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're facing.... The range hood outer shell and ducting to the sidewall is reused and it fits in exactly the same location and connects to the sidewall exactly as it did before the conversion. There is no difference in how it is attached to the cabinet or in how it is ducted outside.... Are you replacing the "ENTIRE" range hood or installing the conversion kit ?????
Nope just replacing fan unit only. The hood itself is mounted so that it has a 4" space behind it (back side of stove) away from the wall. I need to make a duct to connect the fan housing to the hole i will make in the exterior wall.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:28 AM   #34
CedarCreekWoody

Does your current vent hood NOT vent to the outside and you are now trying to convert it to one that does vent through the wall?
Andersen hitch
Old 03-28-2022, 06:11 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
Nope just replacing fan unit only. The hood itself is mounted so that it has a 4" space behind it (back side of stove) away from the wall. I need to make a duct to connect the fan housing to the hole i will make in the exterior wall.
The SAM kit is (as far as I know) designed to convert a 6" blade fan to a much more efficient squirrel cage fan IN A VENTED RANGE HOOD. I've never seen anyone attempt to convert a "non-vented range hood" to a "converted SAM vented range hood"..

I'm afraid you're in uncharted territory, watch out for unexpected "obstacles" to pop up from under the surface, potentially at every turn....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2022, 08:12 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

I'd take a good look at your current range hood and see if it has a knock out punched into the back or not. Some hoods are capable of being installed as either vented or non-vented and some are not. When we bought our current trailer it came with a ventless hood. I checked it out and it is made to be installed either way.

After seeing that it was possible I thought "as soon as the warranty is expired I'll retrofit it". I'm glad I waited. One of the reasons we bought this camper was for the outdoor kitchen. We us it 99% of the time. I also added an exterior removable shelf around the center of the awning. It's a Thule shelf that's extreemly sturdy and the brackets that hold it are nearly unoticable. The shelf is next to the exterior 120v ac outlet and is convenient for using an electric griddle, toaster, etc. So even in heavy rain we can still cook outside. About the only cooking we do inside is accomplished with the microwave. With a single 15k btu rtu ans 30 amp service getting the heat from cooking outside is a major plus for us.

The point of this long story is just to convey that I'm glad that I waited. For us, here's the list of considerations that we used to evaluate the usefulness off adding an exterior vent.

1. Need, for us the need was reduced to near zero buy our use which negated to following considerations.
2. A ceiling vent is within 2' or so from the stove. My initial thoughht was to install a fan but didn’t because I didn't want to drag smoke or grease laden vapors across the ceiling surface.
3. The thru the wall vent would have ended up high on the sidewall of the trailer, under the awning about 4' from the the end. I didn’t want grease smoke and other particulates on the awning.

I know having and using the outdoor kitchen changes our decision making but some of those points maybe a concern to you. I'll also add this, if you proceed with the project first measure and re-measure where the vent will exit outside. Make sure that area is free from structural framing and any lights, speaker, awning arm, etc. in that area on the exterior side of the wall.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote