Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
twidget

Solar install 2021 210URS

I am looking to start a solar install on our 2021 210URS. I am going to put two or three panels on the roof and also want the option of the panel attached to the portable port (SAMP) installed by the factory. I have a 2 port ZAMP connector on the roof as well... I am looking to see where I can access the wiring to install the charge controller. Does anyone know where it is on this unit?

THanks for the help!
twidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
Itguylv

Same problem

I called keystone and they said there should be a sticker on the door side in in the pass thru on the front panel. Mine is missing...guess I am toning it out
Itguylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:36 PM   #3
Itguylv

Quick update. I was able to tone the wires. I have a 260UML. They were door side about in the pass-thru, behind the front panel, about 8-12 inches left of and below the light. I haven't opened the panel yet. I will post back if it is different that what is said. One thing to note you cannot tone the wires from the side plug or front plug as those appear to go directly to the battery. The roof mount is what drops through the pass-thru, and then goes to the battery.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
twidget

Do you have a 210URS? I do not have a pass through but there is a sticker near the battery cutoff in the front storage area...

Did you find yours??
Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
twidget

I will try this weekend...
Old 04-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
Itguylv

Partial Success

I found the wires, the wires from the battery are bound up together with the wires from the solar roof plug. Unfortunately, when I tried to pull the wires out they came dislodged from each other (electrical tape was what was holding them together.) So I had to make 2 holes in my pass-thu panel. I got everything connected to the controller in the pass-thru but had not power to or from the battery. After inspecting the disconnect box mounted next to the batteries, I determined that while Keystone may pre-wire to the battery disconnect, they do not put the optional breaker in to connect these wires in the disconnect box. After speaking to the dealer service installer, he said that they pull that positive wire out of the disconnect box and wire directly to the battery. They then put in an all-season 12volt 30 amp breaker in between the controller and the battery. You can pick these up at Home Depot and are much cheaper than rewiring the entire disconnect box to install an OEM breaker.

So will try this in a few weeks when I am back in town. 2021 260uml

FYI, get a wire toner or ask a friend for one. This is what I used. Plug into the solar panel port on the roof, then start probing by the battery and in the front compartment if you have one. You will find the wires...
Old 05-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
twidget

Found Wires the solar wiring...

I toned out the rooftop wiring and the front fascia wiring for a portable unit.

As mentioned earlier, the rooftop went to two separate cables near the battery discinnect inside the panel. This will be where the Charge controller goes, and I will either get a bluetooth for monitoring or a remote panel to see while inside.

I have attached some images and what I have for a wiring schematic right now.

Not 1005 accurate or complete... but working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	33303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	33304   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021 210URS Electrical Schematic.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	33306  
Old 05-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
Cheesehead4Life

Hey ITGUYLV, I'm curious which toning tool you use, but your link doesn't work. Can you give a make & model? I'm looking at buying one, but don't want to spend too much given how little use it will get.

2020 Outback 341RD
2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #9
twidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead4Life View Post
Hey ITGUYLV, I'm curious which toning tool you use, but your link doesn't work. Can you give a make & model? I'm looking at buying one, but don't want to spend too much given how little use it will get.
I use one similar to this....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08156WM3G...43XHRG7SWJJVP6
Old 06-26-2023, 03:34 PM   #10
Chris85

Hi so I have the solar prepped 260uml outback I bought a panel I brought a controller. I know how to get the panel on the roof and plug it in the jacks that are up there. You said the wiring is to the left of the light I'm a little nervous about cutting into my panel for the controller but do you believe it is the same on all of them? Also what exactly did you have to do next to the battery in that battery shut off box I have 2 red wires capped in my box.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230625_092322.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	44389   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230625_092410.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	44390  
Chris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 06:40 PM   #11
Itguylv

I hooked a toner up and tone the wires out first but yes according to support they're all in the same place they're supposed to be a sticker there but there wasn't. I send you pictures of where it was but it is up in Utah and I'm not there. As far as red wires in the box after talking to RV support at the place I bought it, they advise me to take it off the switched block in hardwire it but make sure to put in a fuse. This way the battery can always charge. I've done that and have not had any problems and it's worked great.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:48 AM   #12
Chris85

Thank You

I appreciate the info. This stuff does confuse me so I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. When you hooked up your controller to the wires behind the panel in the storage compartment, those wires go to that box next to the battery with the shut off on it. That's the wires you pulled from the box and put to the battery with an inline fuse? Was it just the power wire or ground as well?
Thank You
Chris85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar