Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
John3Dtraveler

Question 2021 Impact 367 backup camera install

Bought a new Impact 367. While reviewing the specs online I noticed that it was supposed to be prewired for a backup camera. Picked up the trailer today and was asking about the camera install. I didn't see the Furrion bracket mounted above the garage door as I had seen in other pics or videos of the 367 rather I saw a round black plug in the same location as the bracket should have been.
I was assured that this was the "prewired" location so I purchased the Furrion camera and they installed it. It was my understanding that the camera was only to come on when the running lights come on so it doesn't drain the battery when I disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle.
Well... I drove home and disconnected the trailer only to see that the camera was still on.
I called the dealer and the service tech got a little rude and assured me that he installed it correctly and that I am supposed to use the battery disconnect to make sure the camera doesn't drain my battery.
My question is this. Since the 367 did not have the Furrion bracket and the preinstalled weather resistant plug like I saw in other videos etc. is it possible that the only wires available to the technician through the hole where the black plug was were wires that only allowed him to connect it so that it has constant battery power? Or, did he just hook it up incorrectly?
I cannot find a wiring diagram to show me what wires are supposed to be there behind the round black plug to confirm a good install.
Seems like a pain in the *** to have to pull the battery disconnect every time I disconnect the trailer - or is this something that I'd want to do anyway and it's a normal way to connect the camera?
Very long winded post...any input?
John3Dtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Several things:

1. There are no "publicly available" schematics from Keystone for any of their products.

2. On various models the rear camera is wired differently. On some, it is "constant power" on some it is "powered by the running lights" and on some, it's powered by the backup lights (as a true reverse camera)... What you have is apparently a "constant power system".

3. There is considerable impact by having the camera wired through the battery cutoff switch. Yes, that switch will remove power from the camera during storage and help conserve battery power. At the same time, you'll need that switch in the ON position if you do any "dry camping" and need lights, inside power etc while camping. That means your rear camera will be powered the entire time you're camping. That's not an "ideal situation"...

Now, some people just live with it, some have devised a way to turn the camera off when camping. A few have installed a plug to "unplug the camera" a few have installed a switch below the camera and others have installed a switch on the inside of the trailer, about where the camera is located and just reach up to turn the camera on/off as needed. Some have cabinets/cupboards along the back wall and it's easy to "hide the switch inside the cabinet.

So, the service tech "may have installed it properly" and it may/may not be powered with no switch (other than the BCO switch)...

I wouldn't stress too much about it, and while you're getting familiar with your new trailer, see if there's an easy way you can install a switch in the camera power line.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:47 PM   #3
John3Dtraveler

John, thanks for the reply. That's all good information.
Yep, I've discovered since my post that there indeed zero publicly available electrical schematics for anything Keystone. I did get the color chart from Keystone and I'm thinking I'll just open up the cover and see what color wires he had available when he hooked it up.
I've tried to speak with the tech twice since the install and both times, once by phone and once in person at the dealer, he had quite a negative attitude. He cannot tell me what color wires were there to hook up to. If all he had available to hook up to were constant power then I'd deal with it by trying the switch method, if on the other hand there were running light wires available then I'd request that it be re-wired to the running lights.
I'm at the point now that I think I'll just open it up and see what wires are there myself and proceed as necessary.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:19 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Dealerships are like individuals, there are some that seem always happy to help and some that will piss you off when you say good morning to them....

The "personality of that technician" may not be what you would prefer, but it's what you have to deal with in this situation. Can you "fire him and get another"??? Who knows. but currently, his "history is all the information you have"....

That said, almost everyone here will tell you that dealing with any RV dealership service department is the least preferred means to get anything done on your RV. Most have just decided to "do it themselves" or "hire a mobile RV tech to do it for them"... Relying on the dealership, waiting the weeks/months to get anything done, leaving the trailer "unused while making monthly payments" and finding more things broken than repaired with many/most of the times the dealer touches your rig are just a few of the frustrations....

Can you "change the dealership" ?? probably not, deal with it when you have to and avoid it when you can.....

In this situation, while it would be "really nice to drop it off tomorrow morning, have them fix it the way I want it to work and pick it up on the way home tomorrow after work".... Trust me when I say, if you get that kind of service, you'll be the only one in history to be so fortunate.....

Easiest way to fix this is to get out your ladder and your tool box this weekend, roll up your sleeves and do some exploring to see what you "really have to work with"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
John3Dtraveler

Yep, I've learned very quickly that RV life is twofold.
One, you enjoy pulling the trailer and camping etcetera and Two, you deal with an industry that really doesn't seem to have it's s**t together.
I'm sure I will be fixing it myself.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Camping family

You can also call furrion and talk with their tech. They are very helpful and I found them great to deal with.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #7
John3Dtraveler

Good advice, thank you