Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #21
SR71 Jet Mech

Mine came with 2 group 24 “hybrid” batteries. At best with a 22amp draw from the fridge those batteries are dead in 8 hours. Fried one of mine immediately. The inverter will shut itself down and will actually have a very loud audible alarm when close to shutdown (if you’re close by). You will have to turn the inverter on. Once on it should stay on unless of the low voltage situation and it shuts itself off or someone actually shuts it off. I keep my fiver inside a building plugged in at all times when we’re home. I found all this out due to a prolonged power outage in our area due to a storm about 4 years ago. The inverter should shut down before the batteries are completely dead however they will be way below the 50% state of charge required to not RUIN the lead acid batteries.

Scott
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:06 AM   #22
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I still don’t see the inverter.
It is a box that connects to the battery via heavy gauge cables.

The red battery cutoff switch and inline auto-reset fuses aren’t it.
If you look closely at the pic in post #15 just above the cable wrap stuff is the inverter. when it is on I can see the green, yellow or red light and thats about about it. I have to reach up there and feel around for the on/off switch (which I will be leaving in the on position)

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:11 AM   #23
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
The inverter I installed for our residential fridge will automatically shut down if the battery get below a certain level. I have two deep cycle batteries. I have towed for up to 12 hours with the fridge running off the batteries and so far it has not shut down.
I think they all do that. If I am not mistaken I think the truck will keep the battery(s) charged enough so that it's not a problem.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-24-2021, 02:21 AM   #24
RickV

Just wanted to update. I wanted to take the new 5ver out on a short trip just make sure there weren't any major issues with anything. There weren't. The only problems were a a drawer that needed adjustment and the lock on one of the slam doors was messed up, key won't go in it. So Monday I call the dealer to see about getting a replacement slam door assembly and bitch about them hosing me on the batteries. I get some switchboard operator who says all the service writers are busy and could they call me back so, I give her my name and number. Two days later still no return call. I get pissed and call the salesman who we had worked with. He said that when he entered everything in the computer he remembered he put two group 27's in there. He said he was off for a few days and would deal with it on Friday (yesterday) when he got back to work. He called me around 9:30 yesterday morning and offered me two solutions I could bring the 5ver in and they would replace the batteries or they would just send me a check for $250 so I could buy the batteries and they would have a new slam door assembly drop shipped to me with correct key code. I took option #2 because the dealer is about a 2.5 hour round trip. So to sum it up I am still not happy with the dealership's service people but, at least the salesman came through.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #25
RickV

Put em in today . Correct me if I am wrong but I wired em main positive to one and main ground to other battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210426_24666.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	33190  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK

Tags
inverter