Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
JRobertson

2021 Keystone Hideout

Hello

I have a 2021 Keystone Hideout 5th Wheel. We have been looking for the main battery shut off. Each time we store our trailer I turn off the refrigerator and all of the breakers but when I return the battery is deal. We did have a 2nd battery replaced at the factory and maybe this unit doesn't come with a main shut off but figured I would ask here first.

TIA Jayme
JRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Turning off the breakers doesn’t do anything for the battery, they are 110VAC. Your battery is going dead from parasitic draws. The LP detector and radio presets are the most common. Not all trailers are built with a factory battery shut off. Easy to install one, or simply disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't believe the Hideout line comes with a factory installed cutoff switch for the battery. The only sure way to disconnect your battery, especially if you can't find the battery cutoff switch, is to disconnect the battery cables. If the trailer is plugged into shore power (either now or in the future) make sure the battery cable terminals are not touching anything metal, you can destroy your power center converter/charger if you short it out through the battery cables laying against the trailer frame.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
MarkEHansen

How long are you leaving the battery? I take mine home and put them on a battery maintainer to keep them charged up and ready to go. I would think a good battery can go 2-4 weeks (with no load) and still be okay, but I wouldn't go much longer than that.

Also, when you discharge these batteries, they don't take that well. There is a lot of research you can do on this topic, but basically, if allowed to discharge all the way down, the battery looses about 80% of it's usefulness. You really should never allow them to go below about 50% charge (as determined by a quality battery monitor).

If your battery has been discharged more than once, I would consider replacing it and taking steps with the new one to prevent it from discharging below 50%.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
boblang

Having the same problem. 2020 Cruiser Lite 28RD. Battery is switched to red/off and it is dead 2 days later. Parasitic draw from radio or CO detectors can't be that much of a draw can they?
boblang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblang View Post
Having the same problem. 2020 Cruiser Lite 28RD. Battery is switched to red/off and it is dead 2 days later. Parasitic draw from radio or CO detectors can't be that much of a draw can they?
Yep!
Forget the factory disconnect & remove the negative cable from the battery that goes directly to ground, that will TOTALLY disconnect everything.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Depends on how old the battery is, what size, and how much charge it had, and what other draws there might be.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #8
boblang

Battery was a brand new 24. It read 12.9V on my meter and when connected lit up as "full" on indicator inside trailer. 2-3 days later it read zero on indicator inside trailer. Switch was off or red. I get that there is still a CO detector and a radio that still draw, but doesn't that seem excessive?
boblang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Battery was a brand new 24. It read 12.9V on my meter and when connected lit up as "full" on indicator inside trailer. 2-3 days later it read zero on indicator inside trailer. Switch was off or red. I get that there is still a CO detector and a radio that still draw, but doesn't that seem excessive?
In addition to the LPG and CO detectors, you will have the radio memory, holding tank heaters, TV antenna pre-amp, possibly a WIFI system draw, a remote control receiver, intrinsic inverter draws, even if the inverter in the solar system is turned to standby. A GP 24 battery is the smallest battery size that dealers will put in an RV. It's "OK for travel" and if you never boondock, it will get you from "campground to campground" but it is woefully inadequate for even one night of dry camping, especially if it's cold enough to need the tank heaters and the furnace.

There's significantly more "parasitic drain" than just the CO detector and radio.....

To verify whether the battery is "being drained" or is "failing on its own", just remove both the battery cables from the battery when it's fully charged and let it sit "unattached" for 2 or 3 days and check the charge remaining on the battery. If it's still charged, the drain is "parasitic trailer drain" if it's discharged, it's an "internal battery issue" and you need to replace the battery.

No matter the battery status, realize that a single GP 24 battery is the "bare minimum to operate a trailer" and "unable to supply power for boondocking on a regular basis".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, keystone