Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
Bill-2020

Water Heater Drain Plug - Teflon Tape or Pipe Dope?

This water heater we have (Dometic/Atwood) has worked well (although I feel the preset, and unadjustable, water temperature t-stat is a bit high for our needs). I drain and flush the water heater religiously... maybe I don't need to do it twice or three times a year, but depending on usage seems appropriate to me given the number of times we use it all year.

So... I usually use pipe dope on the plug. This WH is giving me a fit with pipe dope for the plug and small leaks after a while. I was told once by a long time RVer that pipe dope was the best and proper way versus teflon tape. Looking at some other posts tonight, Danny (sourdough) suggested to another member to buy a special angled wrench to remove a plug. He gave a link to the Camco kit included a small roll of teflon tape. So now that has me wondering... is tape really the better way? The factory used a pipe dope/sealant so it seemed OK to me at the time to do the same.

What's your preference for a leak-free WH plug? (no anode, just the plastic plug).
Old 03-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
rhagfo

Plastic plug should self seal, never used tape or dope on the one we had in the old unit, and never leaked. Get a new plug and make sure you don't cross thread it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
gearhead

Teflon tape or teflon pipe dope. Pick one.
If you use tape just wrap it in the opposite direction of tightening so it doesn't wad up.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Plastic plug should self seal, never used tape or dope on the one we had in the old unit, and never leaked. Get a new plug and make sure you don't cross thread it.
The new plugs I already have aren't to 1/2" spec (thanks CAMCO!!! Grrr!). I can thread those all the way in with two fingers. Should be a tapered thread but they are not.

So, where are you getting your new plug(s) from? PVC plugs might not handle the pressures at that temp.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
This water heater we have (Dometic/Atwood) has worked well (although I feel the preset, and unadjustable, water temperature t-stat is a bit high for our needs). I drain and flush the water heater religiously... maybe I don't need to do it twice or three times a year, but depending on usage seems appropriate to me given the number of times we use it all year.

So... I usually use pipe dope on the plug. This WH is giving me a fit with pipe dope for the plug and small leaks after a while. I was told once by a long time RVer that pipe dope was the best and proper way versus teflon tape. Looking at some other posts tonight, Danny (sourdough) suggested to another member to buy a special angled wrench to remove a plug. He gave a link to the Camco kit included a small roll of teflon tape. So now that has me wondering... is tape really the better way? The factory used a pipe dope/sealant so it seemed OK to me at the time to do the same.

What's your preference for a leak-free WH plug? (no anode, just the plastic plug).

Not sure about the link I provided but the wrench, with the way the plug is situated on a 6 gal. tank, made removal much easier up in that little enclosed space. I don't think the poly? plugs need a sealant but I always put one wrap of tape on it and never had a leak. I did however have them fail due to the center of the plug failing and leaking....I believe it was the cheap Camco plugs. Started buying Atwood (I think) plugs which were made better and never leaked.

The Atwood, which I prefer, doesn't require an anode rod and therefore doesn't have the constant deterioration of the anode rod. I have always drained them once a year. I now have a Suburban, which I don't like, but I will be "cleaning" it out every 6 mos. due to anode rod deterioration.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
Bill-2020

I can get to mine with a 8” ratchet extension and a 22mm socket. Lucky I suppose.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I use a 1/2” drive ratchet with a 4” wobble extension.

Anode rod- 1 1/16”
Plastic plug- I’ve seen both 3/4” and 15/16”

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I use a 1/2” drive ratchet with a 4” wobble extension.

Anode rod- 1 1/16”
Plastic plug- I’ve seen both 3/4” and 15/16”
I refused to breakup a full set of sockets in the roll-away and I had purchased a couple odd sizes to do something on the DWs car once. I found the 22 fit well and I tossed that one into the camper tool kit. So, are you a Teflon tape or pipe dope guy?
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

For the record I have both SAE and metric in both my work and home roll aways. I have tape but usually use the white thread seal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, heat, heater, water, water heater