Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
turbofatguy

Air conditioning issue

2014 Keystone premiere bullet 19fpbr (not sure on the last 4 letters) So I think I left my ac on in my trailer when I was away (trying to rid it of the basement type smell) so I get back like 8-9 days later and the power is all off. My fridge didn’t do the gas back up but that’s a different issue. So it popped the breaker at the power source not the one in the rv. I get the power back on and now the ac doesn’t work. It tries to turn on but then doesn’t. Like something turns on but never gets to the blowing air part. Any help appreciated
turbofatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofatguy View Post
2014 Keystone premiere bullet 19fpbr (not sure on the last 4 letters) So I think I left my ac on in my trailer when I was away (trying to rid it of the basement type smell) so I get back like 8-9 days later and the power is all off. My fridge didn’t do the gas back up but that’s a different issue. So it popped the breaker at the power source not the one in the rv. I get the power back on and now the ac doesn’t work. It tries to turn on but then doesn’t. Like something turns on but never gets to the blowing air part. Any help appreciated
Could be a capacitor... that would explain the breaker tripping.. is it just humming like it wants to start? But rv electrical systems are a little different. Maybe missing one leg of input rv power.. sure someone will chime in... also could have a
Had a low voltage situation at the pedestal causing high amps at the ac and wreaking havoc on the ac unit compressor or circuit board..a good ems system can help this
Old 02-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum : wlcm:

It sounds like your AC fan motor may have bit the dust. Easy quick check:
Take the ceiling cover off. It should be held in with Square head #2 screws. Then with it TURNED OFF, reach up and try to spin the fan. If it spins then turn the AC on, if the fan starts spinning, you fixed it. If it doesn’t then it’s done and can be replaced.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You would need to run the trouble back toward the AC and you've been helped in that direction.

My thoughts are 1) "so you think you left the AC on to get rid of the basement smell"....what is that and why? Did you intentionally leave it on for that or don't know when you left or....??, 2) what has caused that "basement smell"? and 3) I would never leave my trailer running with AC and fridge on (assuming it has contents) for 9 days "hoping for the best". Is there a reason for that?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofatguy View Post
I get back like 8-9 days later and the power is all off. My fridge didn’t do the gas back up but that’s a different issue. So it popped the breaker at the power source not the one in the rv.
Or... your fridge did do the gas backup, but died after it drained your battery several days later...
Old 02-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Is there an EMS in the trailer power system? If not, a brown-out could have reduced power, burned up the air conditioner compressor, then blown the circuit breaker. That would explain why/how the refrigerator "did switch as it was supposed to" but when the battery died, the refrigerator failed as well. Once the circuit breaker was turned on, the refrigerator switched back to ELEC and started again, but the air conditioner compressor/fan motor which were "melted" will not function.

Repair ??? First either get on the roof, remove the A/C shroud and use an ammeter to test the compressor and fan motor draw and repair as needed. If you don't know how to do that, call a repairman.

Next, if there isn't an EMS in the trailer, it's the best $250 you'll ever spend. Right now, replacing the A/C will be double or triple that cost...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
turbofatguy

Thanks for the advice. Gonna be checking it out today. The smell is like a musty smell you can smell on stuff when you get home but don’t really notice when I’m the trailer. So I’ve been trying different things. I don’t typically leave the ac on but I have been trying things to combat the odor issue. I’d leave it at like 80 so it wouldn’t get super hot in the hopes the hot/cold was the odor issue. Don’t think I have an ems so I need to look into that also. Again thanks for the advice from you all and I’ll keep y’all informed.
turbofatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I would worry that the musty smell is from water intrusion somewhere. Have you checked the roof seams to make sure there are no cracks or voids? It could leak from any number of places as well. If it's just an accumulation of moisture inside due to condensation some folks use things like Damp Rid or other absorbent agents. I always carry a dehumidifier (I have large and small compressor type) and they work extremely well at removing moisture from the air.

Get that EMS then determine the cause of that musty smell then get rid of it. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Musty smells can be overcome by buying a dog with long hair, lettting the dog run around outside in the rain and then bringing the dog into the trailer. Either that or consider taking up smoking Camel cigarettes in the trailer. Either will do the trick and no more must smells. Seriously, get an EMS. Electrical Management System. There are a couple major players in that marketspace and do NOT be fooled into saving a buck and buying a surge protector; they don't but an EMS will.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #10
MarkEHansen

How do you have your trailer connected to shore power? Do you have a real 30A/50A receptacle, or are you connecting your trailer to a standard 15A house outlet through an adapter and extension cord?