Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

That thread is over 3 1/2 years old. The primary problem was the owner refusing to use established repair procedures/protocols by not insisting his dealer handle it....because he didn't want to. Can there be warranty issues on a Samsung fridge? I have no doubt. Can there be warranty issues on anything everything we buy? Yes - btdt. My dealer recommended a residential fridge and when I questioned the SM about this kind of situation (I may have even used this thread as a reference) he just shook his head and said getting the fridge worked on was no problem.

Prior to deciding to go with an rv fridge in this trailer, and particularly a Samsung, I did a LOT of research. Although there were a few issues with them, the major ones already resolved, the vast majority of owners loved their units and reported no problems. I talked to 2 appliance dealers that sold them and both loved them; the owner of one store said if/when he replaced his personal fridge it would only be with a Samsung.

I've owned this trailer 11 months and it's been across the country 3 times over some of the roughest roads in the country and used a total of 6 months of those 11 continuously. Our fridge works like a charm and offers so much more than any RV fridge we ever owned - and RV fridges presented far more problems in my experience. Anyone likes what they like, but it doesn't mean their choice for them is the best choice for everyone.

The OP has a damaged fridge, the reason obviously being debated, which is different than a component failure so not really apples to apples IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Just because this thread i decided to investigate the one we are disposing of today. Customer paid selling dealer for 4 service calls on this 4 year old refrigerator. As verified by the picture you only see frost on the upper portion of the refrigerator evaporator a classic sign of low refrigerant or a compressor not pumping properly.....
And personally that looks like a defrost issue .. a misplaced or bad sensor that is closing early allowing the unit to come back on and not fully defrost the entire coil..these are sealed systems and it’s a very small amount of refrigerant. Factory controlled brazing connections..not often a problem like in residential hvac systems where you don’t know the skill of the guy making the brazing connections in the field.
If it was a leak because of the small charge in the system it probably would leak out fast and not show a frosted evap coil for very long.
The only other possibility I see is a partially opening txv valve or clogged metering orifice but again that would usually make the entire coil freeze like a block of ice not just the top
Old 02-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #23
jasin1

I will say that would be my last resort if my dealer would not take responsibility
Old 02-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #24
Ruger

Well I haven’t had any luck ...Keystone refuses to warranty nor make a repair!The dealer offered to glue some rubber roof mastic over it! REALLY...I didn’t even realize the crack was as extensive as it is. I really think it’s gotten bigger in the last three months sitting on their lot.[QUOTE][/QUIMG_3943.jpegOTE]
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:57 PM   #25
Ruger

Cracked fridge

Well we got our camper back today, Keystone refused to do anything about repairing or replacing our frig!They said since it’s been over 6 months since we took delivery they couldn’t do anything.....! I explained to them our dealer sold over a thousand units and they were backed up on repairs and told me they would honor the adjustment time period. So the dealer offered to attempt a repair,they said they would glue roof mastic over the crack! I was like NO DONT TOUCH IT! I will either buy Samsung’s repair kit or I will have a fiberglass repair man come out. The crack has gotten twice as big in the past 3 months sitting on their lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	764AEAED-B684-414C-B196-2E61E2A69E22.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	31869   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7AE2738-8E14-4CED-B3CE-B76013BDA265.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	31870   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F21A3AF-7716-40A2-AE24-B90B2C82FC9D.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	31871   Click image for larger version

Name:	62872355-C606-42D3-8691-2340765C898B.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	31872  
Old 02-07-2021, 05:25 AM   #26
Vet4jdc

Ruger....this is not the answer you are looking for but if it were mine, I would just have a fiberglass repair expert fix it and pay the man and move on. Sometimes fighting with Dealers and Keystone is more frustration than its worth. I bet we had 10 things to fix under the initial 1 year warranty and I fixed everyone of them myself. Cost me a little money but I didn't have the frustration of dealing with other incompetent people.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #27
Rwake901

We have the same Samsung fridge in our 2019 Avalanche. No cracks in the inside after two years of on and off use. Worried about the compressor going out though, makes a really weird noise when it starts.
Good luck getting anything out of Keystone or Samsung. Several of our local appliance stores won’t even sell Samsung because of their warranty issues.
Keystone was the same way when we had some issues with even some small things. I just fixed everything myself to avoid the headaches of dealing with Keystone. Last Keystone product I will own for sure! Good luck with your fridge.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #28
Ruger

Thanks, I am well aware of fixing most everything myself. I’ve been of that mantra for years most RV repair techs are barely trained or competent. This frig is a big purchase item! I dont want to have too buy a new one in the first year!
Old 02-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #29
jasin1

I’m sure you checked but is all of the floor levelers adjusted and touching the floor base? I wonder if it isn’t sitting uneven and caused undo stress
Old 02-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #30
Frank G

From my limited knowledge, some of it going back some 50 years, refrigerator interiors are vacuumed formed from polystyrene. No gelcoat, fiberglass or resins here. Can a person fill the crack, paint it and make it look new again, yes, but you have not fixed the underlining problem.

After the refrigerator is assembled it is held in a cage and foam filled. This process prohibits the replacement of the liner.

In the early 70's I worked in a large vacuum forming facility. The construction and foam filling was witnessed at a freezer/refrigerator manufacture in the mid 90's.

Manufacturing processes, materials, and components can and will very across product lines.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #31
Rwake901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
Thanks, I am well aware of fixing most everything myself. I’ve been of that mantra for years most RV repair techs are barely trained or competent. This frig is a big purchase item! I dont want to have too buy a new one in the first year!
This may sound funny but before you buy a new fridge have you thought about using that white Flex Seal tape to seal the crack? That stuff works really well. I think that I would try that before I spent fifteen hundred or two grand on a new fridge. Just a idea.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:36 AM   #32
Ruger

That is a thought ...I didn’t think of yet. thanks . if I can’t fix the crack with their repair kit I’ll give it a try.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:07 AM   #33
garysol1

My question would be IF the dealer or the owner decided to replace that big residential sized refrigerator how do you plan to get it out of the trailer? I would guess the easiest way to remove that refrigerator would be to remove a room slide. Thats a lot of work for what appears to be a cosmetic issue in a fridge.
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:19 AM   #34
jasin1

Is it possible the damage was done when they originally installed it? The cracking may have been caused by rough handling when they remove the doors or pick it up with straps to load into the trailer while building it and the temperature swings have made it worse. That would explain why other people have had no problem with there same refrigerator. It would be something easily overlooked when doing walkthrough
Old 02-10-2021, 05:56 AM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
My question would be IF the dealer or the owner decided to replace that big residential sized refrigerator how do you plan to get it out of the trailer? I would guess the easiest way to remove that refrigerator would be to remove a room slide. Thats a lot of work for what appears to be a cosmetic issue in a fridge.
Us techs measure and most often with the doors off it will fit through the entry door. I have taken large Windows out too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:29 AM   #36
kfxgreenie

That is worse than even I suspected, I anticipated a single crack in the liner. Keystone's answer is BS, but that is what i would expect out of a company trying to save profits, and this is where your DEALER is on the hook. My question is what exactly was Samsung's response as to their lack of honoring the warranty? This information needs to be cleared up so future RV owners that may buy a Residential Refrigerator fully understand what they are getting. It would be nice to know what exactly Samsung told Ruger. If you don't have a subscription to RV LIFE magazine, you may want to get one and send them a letter including pictures and dates of service initiation and Keystones response and Samsung's response. Seems the manufactures do the right thing once shamed with proof in front of a large readership across all brands.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:22 AM   #37
jimborokz

We have the same fridg. When it was new the ice maker wouldn't fill. The dealer said they're not trained to fix the res/fridg and I should call Samsung.
I noticed the water line under the sink is 1/2" pex and the line behind the fridg is 1/4" plastic. Looked behind the cabinet next to it and sure enough found the second shut off. The dealer had not clue.
Since then (in our third year) we have had no problems with it. Someone mentioned the leveling legs. My understanding is that they remove them to install in an RV which explains the two knobs I found in a drawer. There should also be a steel strap securing it to the back wall.
When I asked my dealer about potential problems down the road (some suspect the compressors won't hold up under travel conditions) he told me that under my Forever Warranty that specifically lists all appliances as covered he would just replace the whole unit. Hoping I don't need to test that promise.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack