Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Again check the numbers on an Excursion! They appear to be a beast, look like a school bus, but have limited towing abilities. Not to mention if it has the 6.0 POS diesel you'd be better off with the rusted 7.3 250.

I have a 6.0L and it really isn't a "POS". My truck is reliable and pulls well and there are a zillion and a half 6.0L diesels out there doing yeoman duty. I have just under 150K miles on my 6.0L and I purchased for under $7K and have put a bit of money into it as you would expect for a 14 year old vehicle but have a reliable camper pulling truck for under $11K and that includes a front end, brakes and tires. Wish folks would quit bashing Ford diesels as I would put my truck for reliability against any Ram or Chevy of the same age. The one nice thing about the 7.3L is they have a great rep and resale value as most experience fewer negatives when in production; probably because the internet wasn't a big factor in the late 90s as one possible explanation. They are also fuel hogs and a bit under powered.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Thanks for the input. I will look in to the GVWR for carrying capacity.

I am open to other suggestions for a TV, I just haven’t been able to find another vehicle that would fit my need.

Looks like your need involves quite a few passengers. How many are your talking about? A crew cab with bench seats will do 5 passengers plus a driver but you will hear "he is touching me or she is touching me" a lot. Most vans and SUVs which are passenger friendly are not up to towing a larger/longer camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #23
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Looks like your need involves quite a few passengers. How many are your talking about? A crew cab with bench seats will do 5 passengers plus a driver but you will hear "he is touching me or she is touching me" a lot. Most vans and SUVs which are passenger friendly are not up to towing a larger/longer camper.

There are 5 of us. 6 if you count my son in college who will be home for the holidays and summer (as well as some weekend). We also have 3 dogs.

We do make some longer trips and more room is better. I kinda with my e-250 wasn’t so far gone. It had tons of room and did really well towing my old camper, but it has gotten pretty sketchy and has started with a head gasket leak.
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I will look in to the GVWR for carrying capacity.

I am open to other suggestions for a TV, I just haven’t been able to find another vehicle that would fit my need.
I understand the dilemma. A few years back my BIL went thru the same issue. He was using a Ford van (I think an E 350) that was a custom airport Limo that had 15 seats. He removed all hut 7 seats and towed his 30' Jayco wood frame/aluminum sided trailer (read heavy).

It worked OK until someone ran a stop light and totaled it. He ended up with the V10 Excursion. We were camping together about 6 years ago when he hitched up and the brake line rusted thru. So we changed that out in the cg. Another trip his tranny started slipping. I towed his camper home for him while he followed limping his sub home.

Last year he hitched up in his driveway, pulled forward about 2 feet and the hitch and rear bumper literaly broke off and fell on the ground. It rusted and just fell off the frame. Those were my observations, you may have a better experience.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #25
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I understand the dilemma. A few years back my BIL went thru the same issue. He was using a Ford van (I think an E 350) that was a custom airport Limo that had 15 seats. He removed all hut 7 seats and towed his 30' Jayco wood frame/aluminum sided trailer (read heavy).

It worked OK until someone ran a stop light and totaled it. He ended up with the V10 Excursion. We were camping together about 6 years ago when he hitched up and the brake line rusted thru. So we changed that out in the cg. Another trip his tranny started slipping. I towed his camper home for him while he followed limping his sub home.

Last year he hitched up in his driveway, pulled forward about 2 feet and the hitch and rear bumper literaly broke off and fell on the ground. It rusted and just fell off the frame. Those were my observations, you may have a better experience.

Doesn’t sound like he had a good experience with his.

I am looking for a southern/western one to try and avoid rust issues. We are willing to spend a bit on one, so wanting to find one with all the wear parts replaced, or one for a little less then I can have it done.

On my e-250 c6 I added a low stall towing/diesel converter and a giant trans cooler from a Ford 6.0l along with a thermostat block. I never had any issues with trans temps while towing my old camper. Hooked up I would grossed just over 14k lbs.
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Doesn’t sound like he had a good experience with his.

I am looking for a southern/western one to try and avoid rust issues. We are willing to spend a bit on one, so wanting to find one with all the wear parts replaced, or one for a little less then I can have it done.

On my e-250 c6 I added a low stall towing/diesel converter and a giant trans cooler from a Ford 6.0l along with a thermostat block. I never had any issues with trans temps while towing my old camper. Hooked up I would grossed just over 14k lbs.
His tranny went out backing in the trailer. The space was up hill and when he got it in it started to slip. The transmission shop told him that's when they typically go, backing up hill. Never heard of that. The transmission shop (independently owned and open since the the 1940's) is a very reputable ouitfit.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote