Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Alaskan Cougar

Question Question about slide out operation, what's the clicking?

I've got a 2012 Cougar 29BHSWE, and had a question about the slide out operation on it. When I push the button to extend it out, it slides out fine, then when it gets to the end of the travel, there's a loud 'click, click, click' sound (it would continue clicking if I didn't get my finger off the button, but I quickly got my finger off the button when I heard it). When I retract the slide, the slide comes in and there's a noticable stop to the motor and the slide section is all nice and snug. I guess I was expecting the same motor stop situation when I extended it all the way out. What is the 'clicking' I'm hearing, and is it damaging to the slide gears and motor?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
fred1609

That is the same on all slideouts....don't worry its just means your slideout is at its max....just don't keep holding the switch...I was told to let go immediately when the clicks start....
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
rjsurfer

That's a normal "noise" with most slideouts, mine even makes that ratcheting sound when bringing it in also.

As others have said be quick with getting you're finger off the switch when the noise is heard.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
chris199

Ditto.....was told by dealer to listen for clicks on out and in. Stop expansion or retraction when heard.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Cougar View Post
I've got a 2012 Cougar 29BHSWE, and had a question about the slide out operation on it. When I push the button to extend it out, it slides out fine, then when it gets to the end of the travel, there's a loud 'click, click, click' sound (it would continue clicking if I didn't get my finger off the button, but I quickly got my finger off the button when I heard it). When I retract the slide, the slide comes in and there's a noticable stop to the motor and the slide section is all nice and snug. I guess I was expecting the same motor stop situation when I extended it all the way out. What is the 'clicking' I'm hearing, and is it damaging to the slide gears and motor?
The slide mechanism has a ratchet assembly that stops movement by disengaging the motor drive at the end of travel. This prevents damage to gears and to the slide. It is designed to "ratchet" at BOTH ends of travel. It should "click" when it reaches the full out position AND when it reaches the full in position. If, when you retract your side and you hear the motor "strain and change sound WITHOUT the clicking, your slide stops need to be adjusted. If you keep torquing the motor by putting that much load on it, eventually it will fail or damage the slide mechanism. It should be "clicking" at both ends of travel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Alaskan Cougar

Thank you fred1609, rjsurfer, chris199, and JRTJH! I didn't have a chance for a dealer walkthru since I bought it in Oregon and had it shipped up here, so some of these new sounds have me curious. I read the manual and it didn't have anything in there about the ratchet noise, seems odd that it isn't mentioned if it was something designed into the system. I do know that it doesn't do the clicking sound when I retract it, now I'm wondering if I should have the dealer look into that.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
azlee56

this is all good to know. We weren't told about this either.

(have I told you how much I like the edit button?)
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
snow

that might just be like a limit switch clicking telling you its out
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

It is a type of clutch that engages when the mechanism reaches its limit or resistance. (Binding, or maybe even a little old tree too close to the trailer or a pair of shoes behind the trim when retracting. ) As soon as you hear the sound STOP! or you will burn out the clutch or cause worse damage. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote