Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
Howie

Nail/screw head in floor Cougar 2015 303RLS

Does anyone have any experience with a nail or screw head starting to backout of the floor? We noticed it in the floor starting to push up on the vinyl flooring. I tried a hammer and it didn't move and it appeared that if I keep hitting it I might actually cause the head to puncture through the flooring. The belly is enclosed so being able to look underneath is a problem and probably not going to be able to see anything anyway. Is there any solution to repair/fix that anyone is aware of?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Probably the easiest "fix" would be to cut a "2 sided flap" (a 1" cut should be more than sufficient), lift the vinyl, use a screwdriver to remove the screw (or a claw hammer if it's a nail: be sure to protect the vinyl when pulling the nail). If you think the screw is "important to floor integrity" you can use locktite or liquid nails adhesive and reinstall the screw. Once that's done, use some adhesive, fold the flap down and weight it down with a heavy flat object for about 24 hours. Then, use a "vinyl seal sealer" product to reseal the top coat. It should be "nearly invisible" if you're careful with your cut and use a SHARP RAZOR BLADE to do the cutting.

One of the "tricks" I use when gluing the flap back in place is to clean any adhesive off the surface and put a piece of wax paper over the repair before weighting it. That way, the adhesive won't stick to the weight. Cleaning the wax paper from the repair is much easier than pulling the vinyl off the floor while trying to remove the weight !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
Howie

vinyl sealer question

thank you for the excellent reply, it is appreciated. One question, I am not clear on is the vinyl sealer. Is that basically a clear topcoat? I haven't had any experience with this type of product. Any particular name? Thanks
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I use Congoleum Seam Sealer, available at Lowe's. It's a small 2 ounce plastic bottle with a T shaped applicator tip. Lay down a bead of sealant on the cut (after the underlying adhesive has secured it in place) and let it dry. It will seal the seam, preventing any water from getting under the surface coating and make it smooth so it won't attract or hold dirt, grease or grime. In other words, it "recoats the surface" to make it perform like the cut was never there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SEAM SEALER.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	22528  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
nellie1289

I have this issue. What kind of adhesive for the floor to glue it down