Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
zhankat

water pump while dry camping

hi everyone,
we have a 2020 springdale travel trailer

simple question about the water pump, when out dry camping is it best to turn it on and leave it on for the duration? or would it be best to turn it on when the need arises?

I worry about power draw from the battery which is why I posed the question.
While its easy to flip a switch when needed I do wonder if this is causing more wear on the water pump to power it up/down than to just turn it on for the trip and off then off when we head home?

or is turning on/off repeatedly drawing more power overall?

thanks
zhankat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The water pump is a "demand" pump. The pump only runs when water flows and pressure drops. When the faucet is shut off the pump should build up pressure and shut off until a faucet is opened again.

I turn the pump off while traveling as I fear a pipe connection coming loose or something falling and hitting the faucet handle. I also turn off the water (either cg supplied or pump) if leaving the camper for any time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
Canonman

Like Marshall, I leave the pump "on" while we're in the camper and off when we're gone or towing. DW on the other hand is irritated by the "blue light" on the control panel when the pump is on and therefor shuts it off. This has on occasion left me high-and-dry at inopportune times and caused more than one discussion of this subject.

I have "decided" I need to check the status of the pump before taking care of my personal business
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7596.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	29341  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
LewisB

Same for us; off when travelling or away from trailer (e.g. day trip); on when camping and in/around the trailer.

You might consider adding an "accumulator". These are small (e.g. 1 quart size) pressure vessels that have a membrane that divides the vessel with air pressure (like 5 psi) on one side and pressurized water system on the other side. The accumulator acts like a pressure shock absorber and smooths out the flow of the water system, including the pump starting/stopping. Our pump cycles a lot less often now that we added the accumulator. Advertised to extend the life of your pump. Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5HHZPL73&psc=1
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Same for us; off when travelling or away from trailer (e.g. day trip); on when camping and in/around the trailer.

You might consider adding an "accumulator". These are small (e.g. 1 quart size) pressure vessels that have a membrane that divides the vessel with air pressure (like 5 psi) on one side and pressurized water system on the other side. The accumulator acts like a pressure shock absorber and smooths out the flow of the water system, including the pump starting/stopping. Our pump cycles a lot less often now that we added the accumulator. Advertised to extend the life of your pump. Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5HHZPL73&psc=1
Another advantage is you can get 3-4 toilet flushes at night without the pump running. My pump is in a cabinet next to my wife's side of the bed.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump