Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2018, 02:53 AM   #21
JimMach1

Back when we used to pack bearings I used to remove outer bearing reinstall castle nut grab drum or rotor and quickly yank it off that would leave the bearing and seal on the spindle.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:53 AM   #22
goodellj

I have been repacking every 2 years or 12,000 miles. Before every trip I remove the rubber plugs, have a look at the outside, and add a few pumps of grease through the zerk fittings.
I had a wheel bearing burn out on me a few years ago before I started doing this. The original dealer told me the wheel bearing were "sealed" and needed no maintenance! If you could see that bearing you would know what a dry bearing looks like, as opposed to the proper gooey look that you should expect! Before that I knew almost nothing about wheel bearings, and now I am well read on the subject. Believe me, having your wheel bearings repacked is a lot cheaper than replacing a burnt-out spindle!
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:11 AM   #23
bivijrjax2

I have been using the Lucas Red and Tacky in my boat trailer and the travel trailer. I have been very happy with it in both applications.
bivijrjax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #24
travelin texans

[QUOTE=goodellj;305108]I have been repacking every 2 years or 12,000 miles. Before every trip I remove the rubber plugs, have a look at the outside, and add a few pumps of grease through the zerk fittings.
I had a wheel bearing burn out on me a few years ago before I started doing this. The original dealer told me the wheel bearing were "sealed" and needed no maintenance! If you could see that bearing you would know what a dry bearing looks like, as opposed to the proper gooey look that you should expect! Before that I knew almost nothing about wheel bearings, and now I am well read on the subject. Believe me, having your wheel bearings repacked is a lot cheaper than replacing a burnt-out spindle![/QUO
This is good lesson to all newbies! If the dealer of any rv tells you the bearings are sealed, look them straight in the eye & tell them they are full of crap & maybe they should at least walk thru the service area once in awhile before giving ANY advice about service items.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:50 PM   #25
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMach1 View Post
Back when we used to pack bearings I used to remove outer bearing reinstall castle nut grab drum or rotor and quickly yank it off that would leave the bearing and seal on the spindle.
That is how I have done it for cars and trucks, but it would not work on my trailer... the nut would not fit through the outer hole in the hub.

I bought one of those "T" style seal pullers... it was a PITA, think the hammer handle will be my next choice.

-Brian