Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #21
Eastham

Yea you think if he was going cross country he would of at least washed the trailer.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #22
notanlines

That guy in the video is a whole group of stupids all wrapped up in one.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Gotta call you on this one.... You saying Sam Elliot don't know what he is talking about? Guts, Glory, RAM! (specially modified by the looks of it) Look at this Ram 1500 dually video:
Let's see how I can "wiggle out" of this one: Hmmmmm I know, It's not a "typical 1500" ROFL RAM doesn't offer a "dump bed" on any of their half ton trucks !!! Whew, Safe from that one !!!! LOL But, yeah, it takes a special kind of stupid......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #24
gearhead

To the original poster: do you have anything against a 3/4 ton truck? If you're going to buy something you may as well step up to a more appropriate truck.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #25
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
A fine breakdown analysis JRTJH, thank you. I mis-stated the GVWR so the Laramie should be 5,389 curb weight + 1,410 payload bringing the GVWR to 6,800 lbs. That may still be close to the max with 350 pounds of me and the wife, 425 empty hitch weight, propane, two 6V batteries and a partially full fresh water tank. The Big Horn model is only a bit more with a claimed payload of 1,685
On all RV trailers delivered after Dec 2006 the full propane system - if factory equipped - is figured into UVW as delivered to the dealer. So is the battery if installed when delivered to the dealer. If installed by the dealer and under 100# it will not be added to the UVW by them.

Ref; FMVSS 571.110 paragraph S9.3.2
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

CWtheman,

This is not to diminish your knowledge of federal regulations or where to find them, but to clarify the actual practice followed by Keystone. After your post, I sent a request for clarification to Keystone Customer Service. This is the response I received followed by my request for further clarification and Keystone's final confirmation.

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV Shopper's Konnection. You are correct, the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is the shipping weight plus the carrying capacity. The shipping weight is when you pick it up from the dealer-nothing added to it. The carrying capacity is the maximum amount of weight it can carry due to the axle size. The hitch weight is the amount of a trailers weight that rests on the tow vehicles hitch (also empty). When you are adding weight to the RV you will want to distribute it evenly. Yes, add the weight (100 #) to the trailer weight. Please let me know, if you have further questions. Happy Holidays,

Bettina Rogers
Keystone RV Company
Keystone Shoppers Konnection
574-535-2488

Bettina,
Thank you for your response. If I understand you correctly, the hitch weight as it appears on your website does NOT include a battery or propane, but it does include the weight of the empty propane cylinders. Is that correct? Thanks much !!!
John

Hi John,

Yes, that is correct.

Bettina Rogers
Keystone RV Company
Keystone Shoppers Konnection
574-535-2488

The specifications on the Keystone website indicate the empty hitch weight of the trailer (as it leaves the factory) with EMPTY propane tanks on the hitch and NO BATTERY installed. So, as I stated in a prior post, with 30 pound propane tanks on the tongue, you'd need to add 60 pounds for propane and about 40 pounds for a battery/box. That adds roughly 100 pounds to the advertised hitch weight. If your trailer is equipped with 20 pound propane tanks, you'd need to add 40 pounds for propane and 40 pounds for a battery/box to the advertised hitch weight on the website. Anyway, the above is the actual practice followed by Keystone...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote