Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
pikespeakviewer

Mystery Leak

1st time poster, but not 1st problem with my 2016 Springdale 240BHWE.

Current issue: leak in the cupboard by door. The shop pressurized my unit and found a leak in the seal around the hot water heater, they sealed it, tested it and sent me on my way. It wasn't raining when they had my trailer and I had dried the cupboard with a space heater as I didn't want the wood to warp any further. They did not go on the roof as they thought that they found the problem. I'm gathering they found a problem that had yet to cause us any worry (but am glad that it was found).

It rained yesterday afternoon and the corner in the cupboard was wet again within 4 hours. There is no visible damage to the walls, trim, floor. I have removed the door sill on the inside of the door and there was water there too (and I can wick it out if it shove paper towel under the door.

1st picture is of corner of cabinet near door - water looks to be climbing up the wood, so coming from the floor?

2nd picture is of paper towel wicking water from under the siding above the door - is this normal?

3rd picture is of the roof - I'm guessing that the cracking is where the water is actually coming in from?

I've currently got a tarp on the trailer as it was dry for a few hours and it's supposed to rain for a few days now.

Advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cupboard.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	14673   Click image for larger version

Name:	siding.png
Views:	157
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	14674   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	14675  
pikespeakviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I cannot really see the crack in the 3rd photo but, any and all cracks on the roof need sealed. In fact you should be up there 1 or 2 times a year and look for them. Is the crack near the side wall near where water is found? That would be a good clue as to where the leak is. If it was me, I would get the roof taken care of and then check for that water again. If still present start checking the nearby outer wall around windows etc. near where you found the water.
I think you might know this but, I will state it. Water always runs down unless it is forced up by road spray etc. It also wicks, I think your right about that.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Tbos

My roof had several cracks appear in the sealant where the roof meets the side. When I zoom in it looks like you may have the same issue. Hope you are able to get it fixed soon.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
CrazyCain

So what sealent is used on those area? Silicone or No sag Dicor??

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
So what sealent is used on those area? Silicone or No sag Dicor??

Non-self leveling Dicor for that edge. To be honest I’ve used self leveling too. Still worked.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
pikespeakviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I cannot really see the crack in the 3rd photo but, any and all cracks on the roof need sealed. In fact you should be up there 1 or 2 times a year and look for them. Is the crack near the side wall near where water is found? That would be a good clue as to where the leak is. If it was me, I would get the roof taken care of and then check for that water again. If still present start checking the nearby outer wall around windows etc. near where you found the water.
I think you might know this but, I will state it. Water always runs down unless it is forced up by road spray etc. It also wicks, I think your right about that.
We were just up there at the end of August checking it all out... I've tarped the trailer and so far, no more water, so I'm gathering that's the cause. Yes, it's above the door, which is right beside the cabinet that is getting wet.

We have rain straight for the next 36 hours, it should be sunny and dry on Monday.

Trailer company is coming out Monday to look at it. My worry is getting the avenue that the water is taking dry so that it doesn't grow mould. Furnace is on, and trailer is toasty warm. That should help?
pikespeakviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Non-self leveling Dicor for that edge. To be honest I’ve used self leveling too. Still worked.

Thanks

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak