Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #1
Chippewa93

Frig not working while traveling

Frig works fine when plugged into standard power. But nothing when on battery, hooked up to TV,l or on propane. "Check" light flashes and I hear a clicking sound from the back/outside. It's a Domestic in a 2015 Passport 3320bh. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First thing that comes to mind: is the propane turned on? Next, is there propane in the tanks? And next, is all the air purged?

If the refer is near the stove, light the stove to verify gas supply. If you just filled the cylinder(s) it might take 3 or 4 try's to get the air out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Also if you turn the propane valves open too fast that will restrict gas flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:01 AM   #4
xrated

I always light a burner on the stove first to make sure that the propane is in the main line that feeds to the stove/refrigerator area. The frig. Sometimes takes 3 or 4 cycles of trying to start before it actually fires up. On mine, the igniter will fire for 45 seconds if memory serves me correctly, the you have to power off the refrigerator and turn it back on and go through the same procedure. As I stated, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 cycles.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Chippewa93

I've got propane, stove works just not frig. Not on propane or 12volt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
dcg9381

The clicking sound is the propane ignitor. It's trying to light. On my RV, if I have the gas off, it can take as much as 3-4 cycle before the gas will "catch" and fridge become reliable.

Open the propane valve slowly. Some people light the stove first, then I put the fridge on gas and go outside until I've confirmed that it's lit (via hearing the propane burning). Sometimes I'll turn it off and let it do one more cycle just to be sure.

This doesn't mean you don't have an issue (like gas flow) - and sometimes I've had to adjust the position of igniters and other small things..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

First, Your fridge needs 12v dc to operate but it does not "RUN" on it. It is 120v ac or propane only. If you are on shore power and fridge is set on "AUTO" it will work on electric only. Disconnect from shore power or switch fridge to "GAS" and the ignition process should start.(ticking of igniter and slight sound of gas flowing.)
As mentioned above, if after "SEVERAL" attempts (turning fridge on "GAS" and waiting for complete cycle ..... turning off then on and waiting again) the fridge still goes to "CHECK" you may have to trouble shoot further.

Let us know the outcome, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote