Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
CaptRon

Battery issues

When in storage I keep my RV plugged in 24/7. I've noticed that not only with mine but a friends has done the same, keeping the RV plugged up like this tends to cook out all of the battery acid over time. Anyone else have this problem and other than disconnecting the battery and putting on a tender on it is there a solution?
Thx!!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure how often you can get to your RV while it is plugged in and in storage, but the fluid level in your batteries needs to be checked on a regular basis and should be topped up from time-to-time. If the level keeps dropping and is left unchecked for extended periods of time, the batteries will, as you say, "cook".
You could disconnect them from the RV and put them on a separate trickle charger or battery tender but you still need to occasionally check the fluid level. Another option would be to remove them from the RV, take them home and trickle charge them there.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
2011 keystone

I had the same problem with mine. I took it to the dealer to have it checked out. They said that it is normal if left plugged in all the time.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon View Post
When in storage I keep my RV plugged in 24/7. I've noticed that not only with mine but a friends has done the same, keeping the RV plugged up like this tends to cook out all of the battery acid over time. Anyone else have this problem and other than disconnecting the battery and putting on a tender on it is there a solution?
Thx!!
My trailer is on shore power 24/7/365. (except while traveling of course) I check electrolyte levels about every two months and usually only have to top off twice a year if that. I've had the same gallon of distiled water since Noah's flood and I hide it from the DW so it doesn't get used up in the steam iron. If your three stage converter/charger is working right you should go several months before NEEDING to top off. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
smiller

If you are going to have the battery on charge continuously it is very important to use a quality charger that will float the battery at a low enough voltage to prevent gassing (approx. 13.2 volts, depending on temperature.) Many simpler converter/chargers utilize a single (higher) voltage that will not be good for a battery on a continuous basis. Some of the better units will also supply an equalizing charge at regular intervals for a battery that has been on extended float, which is even better. A quality 3-stage converter/charger is not that expensive (around $150), especially when you consider how much batteries cost.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
jol

Had a friend send me this link:

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
hankaye

jol. Howdy;

Excellent resource... Thanks for the link!

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
jol. Howdy;

Excellent resource... Thanks for the link!

hankaye
Hey I need information all the time and find sites such as this more than helpful.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
CaptRon

Thanks for the responses guys!!
I'm actually storing it right next to my house. When we built the place I had a 30amp breaker/outlet (with oversized wiring) installed on the south side of the house. The only thing I'm using to charge the battery is the RVs built in system. I guess I need to set myself a reminder to check the fluid level every couple of months. It sat for a full yr this time which included one of the hottest Texas summers on record. Lack of memory and complacent laziness gets me every time. It would be nice to have some type of auto disconnect setup on the battery(ies). Have it on a timer so that when activated the power to the RV stays on but it's connection to the battery is shut down for say 50% 0f the time. Maybe even 75%. When in use the occupants could just turn off the timer.
Man if I still worked at the cement plant I bet I could get our controls/technician to build something for me!!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
SteveC7010

I am looking into a smart charger right now. The one I have almost settled on is the CTEK 7002 model which retails for around $110. This would be used in place of the on board charger most of the time and certainly in the winter when the battery is out of the trailer and stored in the house. Here is the manufacturer's info:

CTEK Multi US 7002 Battery Charger

7-Step Charging, Reconditioning & Maintenance - and a Power Source

The "powerhouse" of battery chargers, the CTEK MULTI US 7002, with a thorough 7-step process for maintenance and charging, is well-suited for year-round use with just about any vehicle. A special "recon" mode reconditions a drained battery after deep discharging, allowing the battery to recover more quickly and last longer. The CTEK MULTI US 7002 also functions as a power source, enabling in-place recharging of batteries without loss of power to the vehicle - maintaining the memory of the vehicle electronics. The latest addition to the CTEK lineup of "the smartest battery chargers in the world", the Multi US 7002 is not only suitable for automobiles and smaller recreation equipment, but also ideal for leisure, starter and marine batteries, as well as RVs and heavy trucks.

Using Switch Mode Technology, the Multi US 7002 utilizes a 7-cycle intelligent process for exceptional battery maintenance and charging.

Switch Mode "Intelligent" Technology

Desulfation: Recovers or "wakes" a sulfated or under-charged battery. Soft Start: Tests the battery condition. Bulk Charge: Begins charging at 7A. Absorption: Applies peak charge at 14.4/14.7V until fully charged. Recondition: Reconditioning of drained battery. Float: Float charge applied for maintenance of maximum performance. Pulse: Sends out current pulses for charge maintenance.

The Multi US 7002 is essentially foolproof to connect, wherever the battery is located. Unlike many competitive battery chargers, the Multi US 7002 has a patented protection system against sparks, short circuits and reverse polarity, virtually eliminating any fear or apprehension about charging a battery.

The Multi US 7002 is approved for outdoor use in all types of weather and is a Five step, fully automatic (IIUoIUp) switch mode battery charger for all 12V lead-acid batteries, 14-225Ah.

Features and Benefits

* Five step, fully automatic switch mode model
* Charges lead-acid batteries (Wet, MF, Gel and AGM) from 14Ah to 225Ah
* Maintenance pulse charging increases battery life and gives superb performance
* Supply mode for float maintenance for 100 % state of charge.
* Charges even drained batteries
* Pulse recover of slightly sulphated batteries
* Four options: 14.4V, 14.7V, 13.6V/Supply and 16V/Boost
* Low back current drain, low ripple and input voltage independent (85-125V)
* High efficiency: 85%
* Delivered with two interchangeable connection leads, one with clamps, and one with eyelet terminals
* The charger can be connected for months, ideal for seasonal vehicles
* Compact design with mounting holes for permanent assembly
* The charger can be connected for months, ideal for seasonal vehicles
* 2 year warranty

The CTEK MULTI US 7002 is recommended for Optima Yellow Top batteries.
NOTE: CTEK7002 replaces CTEK7000

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Steve:
Looks like you have found an ideal charger -- one that does a lot for not that much money! Two questions.... does it have a separate 6v charge switch or is it strictly 12v? Where are you getting it from ? Online or ???
Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Steve:
Looks like you have found an ideal charger -- one that does a lot for not that much money! Two questions.... does it have a separate 6v charge switch or is it strictly 12v? Where are you getting it from ? Online or ???
Thanks
They sell a separate 6 volt model, but I don't think it does all the stuff that the 7002 will do. I wonder if you could use the 12v model on your two 6's? That would be a question for the CTEK folks. http://smartercharger.com/ There are also full product info sheets, etc. available on the website.

The CTEK website offers the 7002 for $149.95 plus shipping. There are several Ebay sellers offering the same charger for around $110 and no shipping costs. There is also a CTEK dealer not too far from me so I may go see what they want for it.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

I can use a separate, regular 12v charger on my 6volts so long as I watch the polarity and hook it up so that the pos from the charger goes to one of the pos terminals on ONE battery and the neg from the charger to the neg on the OTHER battery. This is no different than using the onboard inverter battery charging system.
In any case, it does appear as though the CTEK7002 would make an ideal charger for any RV system.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
trucker LOU

Smile

Hey Ron, I keep my 5er pluged in 24/7 on my 2010 springdale& also on previous(22 yrs) komfort. I check water,connections,etc.the first of every Quarter.batts last 5/6 yrs.no problems.PS at same time check flashlight batts. hope this helps---LOU--
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
CaptRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
Hey Ron, I keep my 5er pluged in 24/7 on my 2010 springdale& also on previous(22 yrs) komfort. I check water,connections,etc.the first of every Quarter.batts last 5/6 yrs.no problems.PS at same time check flashlight batts. hope this helps---LOU--
Yea!!!!!! I've got several dead flash lights in the 5er!!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #16
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon View Post
Yea!!!!!! I've got several dead flash lights in the 5er!!
Flashlight - a place to store dead batteries ...
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
CaptRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Flashlight - a place to store dead batteries ...
BINGO!!!!!
That's where I store mine!!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
albertr

Question Batteries

I have 2 6-volt interstate batteries in the 2011 Avalanche 290RL. Everytime I check those batteries there is a pool of acid on top of one of them. Acid levels are good. Anybody know what could be causing this to happen? Thanks ...Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote