Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
PiGraf

Junction block wiring

Just replaced my junction block and now all my lights flash whenever I put a turn signal on. I'm sure I put the wires back on like they came off. Any ideas?
PiGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
PiGraf

Also, it seems like the lights are dim. I put a meter on it and there are only 3-5 volts going through.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Do you mean a "junction box" to convert from "European standard" to "US standard" or do you mean the "junction box" where the 7 pin umbilical is joined to the trailer wiring harness?

The "European standard" uses yellow (separate) turn signals and red brake/tail lights and the "US standard" uses the same light for turn signals and brake lights.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
PiGraf

The 7-way umbilical
Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
PiGraf

Here's a pic
Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Todd727

You have a short between terminals and possibly a bad ground if the lights are dim.

Without looking at it, none of us can fix it.

You need to double check everything. If you don't have a diagram that shows which wires connect to which terminals on the tow vehicle, search for that diagram on the internet.

You can also use a volt meter to check for voltage when circuits are activated. If you don't have a volt meter, you can get an inexpensive one just about anywhere, Lowe's, HD, Sears, Harbor Freight or any auto parts store.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Todd727

Your picture didn't come through for me.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Then, it sounds like you've connected either the left or right turn signal to the running lights. It's easy to get "turned around" when looking at a wiring diagram of the "back" of the trailer plug and looking at the wiring colors at the junction block. My approach would be to use a multimeter (continuity tester) to "map out" each pin on the umbilical connector to determine which color wire is which, then use a 12 volt battery and connect it to each wire on the "trailer wiring harness", see what lights come on, then connect that wire to the "corresponding colored wire" on the trailer side of the umbilical. You probably already know this, but there is no "hard and fast" color code for each wire "ON THE UMBILICAL CONNECTOR" so it "should be" as simple as identifying what's what on the trailer side and connecting the right color to that function:

As you can see by these diagrams, the colors aren't "standard throughout the industry" as seen by the color of the left turn signal/brake light in one diagram and the backup lights in another. One diagram shows it as YELLOW but another shows it as red. On most travel trailers YELLOW is backup lights (at the connector and is not used) although the wiring harness is "yellow" in the back (at the left tail light assembly. So, don't believe what colors you see in that 7 wire cable as being the function, use a tester to make sure the corresponding pin location is the color you think it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 PIN WIRING PICTURE.jpg
Views:	3852
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	12576   Click image for larger version

Name:	7pintrailer.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	12577   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way WIRING DIAGRAM.jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	12578  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:07 AM   #9
Gary4

If your turn signals are working correctly you probably have a bad ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
PiGraf

Thanks everyone... This morning I just put everything just like I had it (after taking it apart again), and everything worked fine. Probably the ground. Electrical is frustrating!
Old 05-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
xrated

Anytime you make a ground connection and you are using the frame, make sure that you get down to bare metal. Use a file, emory cloth, whatever it takes to get to the bare metal. Using a little dielectric grease on the connection will help insure that the connection stays good.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiGraf View Post
Thanks everyone... This morning I just put everything just like I had it (after taking it apart again), and everything worked fine. Probably the ground. Electrical is frustrating!
Good Job, unfortunately this is how we learn, from our own mistakes. Your asked questions and stuck with it!!
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Anytime you make a ground connection and you are using the frame, make sure that you get down to bare metal. Use a file, emory cloth, whatever it takes to get to the bare metal. Using a little dielectric grease on the connection will help insure that the connection stays good.
We use star washers too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring