Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 AM   #41
CWtheMan

You know, tire inflation pressures are among the hottest debated subjects discussed in RV trailer forums. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) probably produces more than a dozen documents a year about tire inflation pressures. A lot of that same information is in pamphlets under the heading SAFECAR. All vehicles, including RV trailers must have a tire safety section in their owner’s manuals. Who or how many owners actually read them?

Our trailers are all built using the same set of rules and standards. Most are found in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) written by NHTSA. What we must remember about them is they were written to insure minimal standards are met.

Another thing to remember is vehicle manufacturers have the sole responsibility for setting the correct tire inflation pressures for your trailer’s Original Equipment tires. The term, “cold tire inflation pressures” means correct.

Minimal standards, that’s what cold tire inflation pressures on your trailer’s certification label, tire placard and in it’s owner’s manual is telling you. When researching tire industry standards from any manufacturer or their dealers you will never - under normal circumstances - find a recommendation to use less tire inflation pressures than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and displayed on the vehicle and in it’s owner’s manual.

The Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA) - a major contributor and tire rules committee member - also writes a lot of very useful documents. To reinforce the need for recommended tire inflation pressures I include this bit of information from the RMA. “Any tire found to be 20% below its cold recommended inflation pressure is considered to be in a “run flat” condition.” Further, it should be removed from the wheel and inspected for internal damages. That’s very useful info for anyone doing a PDI on a new trailer. To seat the tire bead 45 psi is maximum. Sometimes that never gets adjusted and makes it all the way to the showroom floor.

Under inflated = below placard recommendation.
Over inflated = above tire sidewall max psi rating.

For automotive tires there is always excess load capacity available above tire placard recommendations (via added inflation pressures). That provision in the standards is not applicable for tires fitted to RV trailer axles.

There is no provision in the FMVSS standards to inflate tires to the load carried. That’s a standard from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) regulations and not applicable to tires fitted to conform to FMVSS standards.

Tire manufacturers do not set recommended tire inflation pressures, unless they are installing plus sized tires. Then they are guided by the OE tire’s load capacity. Tire inflation tables/charts are developed from a collaboration between the builder and user and approved by the Tire & Rim Association (TRA). Consumers seldom, if ever, had access to them until the internet came along. Now they are widely use by consumers to set their own inflation pressures adding to the already higher than average tire failure rate for towed vehicle.

Precedent, often used to set a point. When the DOT has a regulation written it will set a precedent to be followed with similar circumstances. There is one that has an influence on replacement tire selections. It’s called “Vehicle in use inspection standards”. It’s purpose is to set a guideline for states to follow when they perform vehicle inspections. This is the “catch 22” under the tire section. “A mismatch in size and construction between tires on the same axle, or a major deviation from the size recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer, is a cause for rejection.” (When installing plus sized tires, the tire manufacturer’s representative (tire installer) is supposed to provide an auxiliary tire placard and place it next to the original tire placard to identify the new tire size and recommended tire inflation pressure).
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #42
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post

Maxxis is the only ST tire that "suggests" with their load inflation table that their tires can be run at lower than max stated sidewall pressure. I have received verbal confirmation from the Maxxis Canadian distribution center, but nothing in writing.
Partially true. But misleading. Maxxis supports the vehicle manufacturer's tire placard recommendations. However, plus sized tires with higher load capacities than the OE tires provide could be set below sidewall maximum. Maxxis trailer tire warranty does not require full sidewall pressures. And, the plus sized tires may provide acceptable load capacity reserves below full sidewall max.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #43
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
OK, I understand that you either follow the manufacturers placard or the tire maximum psi. I replaced my 205/75 14 Towmaster, trailer placard for this size is 50 psi, as is the tire sidewall. I replaced with same size Carlisle Trail HD with a maximum side wall listed at 65 psi. The Towmasters were not overloaded and I now have even more tire capacity. For the last 1800 miles I have run them at 60 psi and have had no problems also the TPMS shows only a 3-5° temp rise over ambient air.

Now do I go by the placard on the trailer or the psi on the tire sidewall?
You said you replaced them with "the same size", does that include the same "load range" (e.g. load range C I would guess here). It has been brought up in recent threads that Carlisle recommends full cold sidewall pressure on its tires and that includes warranty. Since no one else answered your question and the placard on your trailer was for OEM tires that we don't yet know were the same or different load range as the new ones, I would suggest running them at Carlisle sidewall pressure of 65psi, assuming your wheels are capable of that.

Edit - Since this thread is about Maxxis tire warranty I might have started a new thread considering your subject is different and might get lost in the shuffle.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #44
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
OK, I understand that you either follow the manufacturers placard or the tire maximum psi. I replaced my 205/75 14 Towmaster, trailer placard for this size is 50 psi, as is the tire sidewall. I replaced with same size Carlisle Trail HD with a maximum side wall listed at 65 psi. The Towmasters were not overloaded and I now have even more tire capacity. For the last 1800 miles I have run them at 60 psi and have had no problems also the TPMS shows only a 3-5° temp rise over ambient air.

Now do I go by the placard on the trailer or the psi on the tire sidewall?
Simply, on an ST tire inflate to sidewall pressure. LRD=65psi. LRE=80psi. Cold pressure.

On the TV, inflate to door sticker recommended pressure...unless...you have upgraded tires to an LT from a P tire. In that case, if you now have a LRE LT tire, 80psi on the rear when towing is more than likely recommended with the payload carried. When not towing, deflate rear to a lesser pressure that provides a good contact patch. You can research load carrying requirements vs tire pressure charts when not towing, but the contact patch method will provide a more specialized technique for your particular situation and tire rating.

I like metal stems on the TV and the trailer, particularly when 80psi is called for, with a TPMS on the trailer tires. No china bombs as an extra hedge on karma.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #45
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Partially true. But misleading. Maxxis supports the vehicle manufacturer's tire placard recommendations. However, plus sized tires with higher load capacities than the OE tires provide could be set below sidewall maximum. Maxxis trailer tire warranty does not require full sidewall pressures. And, the plus sized tires may provide acceptable load capacity reserves below full sidewall max.
Thanks for clarifying CW.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty