Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #41
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
CrazyCain,

From what I see, the LHS is a single axle trailer with a empty weight of 3245 and a GVW of 4475. Tongue weight is around 500 pounds, so at "camping weight" I'd guess it'll be about 4200 pounds with all but the tongue weight on the axle. So 4200 - 500 = 3700 pounds on the axle, which is around 1850 on each tire (assuming they are loaded equally, side to side).

The trailer has 205 75R 14 LRD tires rated to carry 2040 at 65 PSI.

So, there is just about a 10% "safety factor" on the factory tires. Since ST tires "degrade with age" at about 10% per year, when your tires are a year old (check the sidewalls for the exact date of manufacture) they will probably be at or very near overloaded.

Now, whether you want to take the chance, buy new tires now, risk a tire failure or something else, that's up to you. But, looking at the load rating for the tires installed on your trailer and the probability that you don't have much reserve, it would be prudent to look at replacing the tires earlier than "next year with tires that are a Christmas gift......

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You know, in all honesty, I don't know. Some of them seem to last years for some then some want to pop when they see daylight...so to speak.

I think one of the biggest things is weight. Our tires from the factory were only rated for 40 lbs. more per tire than our gvw. I think I mentioned that load vs tire rating would be an important factor. If you haven't I would look at the tire rating x 4 then see what your gvw of the trailer is. Hopefully you have a significant safety margin.

Will be taking it to the scales when i bring the LHS home from up north the weekend of May 5th. (<200 miles)I really don't think i will be close to the GVW. We don't carry a ton of stuff in the trailer, but who knows, light stuff adds up. Most heavy items, beer, cooler and the such, i carry in the bed of the truck.. All new to me with this TT stuff, never had to worry about this with the pop up, or didn't care because we were free wheeling and wild back then..I'm convinced that those new tires will be a memorial day present now!! Hum, I wonder what kind of tires I should get! Carlisle, Maxxis??? You go crazy reading about tires on the forum,,,,,,

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Will be taking it to the scales when i bring the LHS home from up north the weekend of May 5th. (<200 miles)I really don't think i will be close to the GVW. We don't carry a ton of stuff in the trailer, but who knows, light stuff adds up. Most heavy items, beer, cooler and the such, i carry in the bed of the truck.. All new to me with this TT stuff, never had to worry about this with the pop up, or didn't care because we were free wheeling and wild back then..I'm convinced that those new tires will be a memorial day present now!! Hum, I wonder what kind of tires I should get! Carlisle, Maxxis??? You go crazy reading about tires on the forum,,,,,,

Load it up like you would use it and see where you're at. Hopefully you are in a good place with plenty of reserve. We never worried about it in our popup either; but, I couldn't put thousands of pounds of stuff in it, most went in the back of the truck.

RV tires ARE something that generates a lot of discussion and therefore plenty of "reading" material. Just read through them and realize that those bad things do happen, and not necessarily because of poor maintenance. I, and many others, stayed on top of my tires year round....but that didn't make any difference when it came time to implode at a very early stage.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #43
CrazyCain

Quote:
Load it up like you would use it and see where you're at. Hopefully you are in a good place with plenty of reserve. We never worried about it in our popup either; but, I couldn't put thousands of pounds of stuff in it, most went in the back of the truck.

RV tires ARE something that generates a lot of discussion and therefore plenty of "reading" material. Just read through them and realize that those bad things do happen, and not necessarily because of poor maintenance. I, and many others, stayed on top of my tires year round....but that didn't make any difference when it came time to implode at a very early stage.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #44
CrazyCain

Sorry, but i am way to confused on what type of Carlise tire to buy.. HELP!!!!!!
LoadSTAR) 205 75R 14 LRD are on the trailer now, same thing in Carlise (?) no idea about load rating, PSi still be 65???? Think i will go for a bicycle ride, humm, wonder what type of tires are on it... will be pulling the trigger this week and ordering me some.. thankfully my Brother in Law mounts tires at his shop....

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Carlisle Radial Trail HD is available in ST205/75R14. The tire model number is 6H04561. That is (as far as I know) the heaviest 14" radial tire available on the market. The "big factor" for you, is getting rid of the questionable tires that were OEM and going with a better quality tire. You won't be increasing your load range with these tires since they are rated the same as your OEM tires.

In order to increase your load rating, if you're looking to do that, you'll need to buy new wheels and tires in 15" size. That's an option, but not an absolute necessity.

If you do option for 15" wheels, you'll need to check for clearance in your wheel wells before you make any decisions. If you have enough clearance, then changing to 15" wheels with 225 75R15 LRD tires would increase your load capacity from 2040 per tire to 2540, an increase of 1000 pounds for the pair. Note that the 15" LRD tires are 2" larger in diameter (28") than your current 26" diameter 14" tires. That means you'll have 1" more "tire between your axle and the wheel well. (the other inch is on the ground, under the axle and doesn't count)

The Carlisle tire information is available at this website: http://www.carlislebrandtires.com/ou...adial-trail-hd

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

As John said getting a better quality tire is the goal.

You don't need a larger or higher rated tire. The gvw of your trailer is 4475 lbs. The rating of your current tire size, LRD, is 2040 lbs. each = 8160 lbs total capacity, or, approx. a 45% reserve capacity. Plenty.

I bought the Carlisle Radial HD and have been very happy.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #47
CrazyCain

Not looking to increase my load ratiing, just better peace of mind quality tires, Sold on the carisle's....thanks guys..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Not looking to increase my load ratiing, just better peace of mind quality tires, Sold on the carisle's....thanks guys..

CrazyCain - did you have a post about the tire rating etc. and then delete it or something?? I was writing a reply and my screen jumped, I looked back at the posts and it was gone

I was replying to the various ratings but in a nutshell they looked good. Or, I AM losing it like DW keeps telling me!!
Old 04-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #49
CrazyCain

Quote:
CrazyCain - did you have a post about the tire rating etc. and then delete it or something?? I was writing a reply and my screen jumped, I looked back at the posts and it was gone

I was replying to the various ratings but in a nutshell they looked good. Or, I AM losing it like DW keeps telling me!!
i deleted it by mistake, then could not remember anything
.. These are the tires im getting from Discount Tire

CARLISLE
BEST

CARLISLE
RADIAL TRAIL HD

ST205 /75 R14 105M D1 BSB just wanted to make sure the 105M is the load rating and what the D1 stands for..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

105 is the load rating -2039 lbs. D1 is load range/max load carrying capacity - 8 ply rating @ 65 psi. M is speed rating - 81 mph.

What does all that tell you? Your 8 ply rated tire will carry 2039 lbs. when inflated to 65 psi and should not exceed 81 mph.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #51
CrazyCain

Quote:
105 is the load rating -2039 lbs. D1 is load range/max load carrying capacity - 8 ply rating @ 65 psi. M is speed rating - 81 mph.

What does all that tell you? Your 8 ply rated tire will carry 2039 lbs. when inflated to 65 psi and should not exceed 81 mph.
Sourdough, thanks. That is al that i need to know, i will never go over 65mph. One more question, if i do not have max load, should i still run the tires at MAx 65psi? Don't you just love newbies!!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #52
66joej

There are varying opinions on tire pressures. I run ST tires at the maximum sidewall recommended pressures. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Sourdough, thanks. That is al that i need to know, i will never go over 65mph. One more question, if i do not have max load, should i still run the tires at MAx 65psi? Don't you just love newbies!!!!

An ST trailer tire needs to be at max PSI to achieve its load rating. It is not a radial and not designed so that lower pressures enhance its performance by "sidewall flex". Keep it at 65 psi and all should be good.

Edit: I DO love newbies. I was one and experience, along with this forum, taught me a l lot. Sharing is good....and fun.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #54
CWtheMan

Carlisle has always recommended full sidewall tire inflation pressures for their ST tires. Here is a Carlisle reference with that information. It used to be in their warranty package but I think it was removed from there when they signed-up with BASS.

Look under tire inflation, page 288, LH column.

http://www.dutchmen.com/media/6183/c...nformation.pdf

Note: Tire industry standards support the vehicle manufacturer's cold tire inflation pressures over all others. NHTSA says it's the correct inflation pressure. Not a problem, almost 100% of RV trailer manufacturers only recommend full sidewall pressures for Original Equipment tire fitments. Besides that, over-inflation does not occur unless the cold inflation pressure is greater than sidewall pressure values. Sure, some argue that point, but, their argument is more often than not based on their experiences with other tire designs. The ST tire is designed to use full sidewall pressures all the time. Remember, they age-out. They may look good, even at 5 years old, but they can go Boom regardless of looks or mileage at that age. The closer they are to being fully loaded the shorter their life cycle.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #55
CWtheMan

Quote:
A It is not a radial and not designed so that lower pressures enhance its performance by "sidewall flex". Keep it at 65 psi and all should be good.
ST225/75D15D Is a bias ply tire.

ST225/75R15D Is a radial ply tire.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #56
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
ST225/75D15D Is a bias ply tire.

ST225/75R15D Is a radial ply tire.

You are correct. Maybe I wasn't clear. Even though a trailer tire is marked as R, ie; 225/75R 15 (meaning a radial) IMO they are not meant to "flex" and "roll" like a softer sided sports car or passenger car tire. Their strength comes from the strong sidewall, not a soft, flexible one IMO hence the full rated pressure recommendations.

I understand what you are saying. On the D part I was referring to load range.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #57
CWtheMan

Quote:
You are correct. Maybe I wasn't clear. Even though a trailer tire is marked as R, ie; 225/75R 15 (meaning a radial) IMO they are not meant to "flex" and "roll" like a softer sided sports car or passenger car tire. Their strength comes from the strong sidewall, not a soft, flexible one IMO hence the full rated pressure recommendations. Carlisle only recommends full sidewall inflation pressures for their tires. They say they are designed for it. It's not a violation of any tire standard to increase tire inflation pressures above vehicle manufacturer recommendations as long as you do not exceed the tires maximum inflation pressure for the maximum load. However, using inflation pressures below the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations does violate industry standards.

I understand what you are saying. On the D part I was referring to load range.
A lot of the information I have amassed over the years has come from the pages of Carlisle documents. They have always been very prolific posters of information about their brands of trailer tires (ST). Problem is, I never downloaded their documents, just the web addresses. So, whenever they changed their documents, references to that information was lost to me. But, I used their info in lots of my posts which I do have copies of.

For instance, Carlisle has said in the past that ST tire sidewalls are stiffer on top and bottom and softer in the middle area to absorb the stresses produced from the taller vehicle sway and the scrubbing actions in turns, especially the sharper ones. I do not have their remarks on that subject so you can treat it as hearsay from me. However, it was once in Carlisle’s PDF files.

Tags
tires