Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
gbsb

5th Wheel Hitch (Low)

I have a 2003F 450 Ford CC Cab and Chassis, 19.5 tires and a aluminum flat bed. The truck has a straight axle under the front and sets high, even for a 459 it sets real high. My question does any one make a low 5th wheel hitch. I have a 40 foot 3 axle toy hauler and for it to set level on the truck I will need a very low hitch. I do not have the measurements handy but I have backed up to the 5th wheel and know there is not much room. I have never pulled the trailer with this truck I had a slide in truck camper on it.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
MattHelm21

From your description, it sounds like you have the commercial F450, and the stiffer suspension, I would think you should probably look into a hitch with air bags to protect the trailer some. If you check out some of these in the 32K range, you will find they are very low profile and could fit your needs even though your trailer is not that heavy. I'm not shilling here but check out Air Safe Hitches as an example. I have one and if you are interested in specifics feel free to PM me.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:09 AM   #3
xcntrk

Several manufactures make 5th wheel hitches for flatbeds. They are much shorter units (since bed rail clearance isn't an issue) and allow for taller rigs to tow level. B&W is one of them for example:

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
gbsb

Thanks every one. I not towed the 5th wheel in a few years but want the ability to when the need arises. I am pulling a 30 foot travel trailer while we are traveling at this time. We are Escapees RV club members and have a RV lot in Hondo TX. and that is where the 5th wheel is.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch