Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
randymci

water tank bypass?

Just took possession of a 2017 Outback 328RL. Anyone have any idea where the bypass is located? My hot water tank is at the left front corner. I can't find any panel or hidden door in the front bedroom or closet that grants access to anything around the tank.
randymci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
busterbrown

Considering your HW tank is located on your trailer's driver side front, the access panel must be in or around that front sliding door closet. I just looked at your floor plan and the tank sits at the bottom of that closet on the driver side. Removable trim panels can be deceptive at first glance.

I'm sure someone on the forum who owns this floor plan will chime in.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Is there a raised "box" section in the closet right behind the access door outside? The front of my trailer is similar to yours but the HWH is on the passenger side in the same place. I have a raised area inside the closet and have to pull a panel to access the back of the heater. The bypass should be at the back of the HWH so wherever the access is to the heater outside, there should be access to the back of it directly behind that location.

On a different note; a word of caution. Your trailer seems to be in the same boat mine was. You have a gvw on the trailer of 10,500 lbs. Your tires will only support 10,160. Yes, they say to deduct the tongue weight from the gvw, but, that still leaves you in a precarious position IMO. They skim just under the law but the tires give you no reserve and they WILL be overloaded in real life and give out....I've already experienced that and upgraded; but after 7k in damages. Just a heads up.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
randymci

Thanks for your comments folks. I had a second, more detailed look in the closet above the tank and found a trap door very well concealed (carpeted over). Once i popped off the upholstery button over the screw and reversed it out, the trap door lifts up to reveal the tank and bypass valve.
Looking forward to helping others as I get better acquainted with my new Outback. 😀
Old 04-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
randymci

Thanks for the info on the tires!

Tags
tank, water