Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Blacktail

Storage question

When storeing the trailer for the winter i have a few quetions. First do i leave it pluged into shore power? If not should i disconect the batteries. Also is it a good idea to leave a few windows craked to let air flow in and out?
This is my firat year with a trailer so want to get everthing right the first time.
Not sure if this makes a difference but i live in seattle washington so it does not get extremly cold.
Thanks
Bob
Blacktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Unless you need to utilize the 110 AC shorepower, I wouldn't bother. Instead, I plug it in every so often mostly to maintain the batteries. My 2 golf cart batteries weigh a ton and I have both in a one battery box sitting inside the front storage compartment. They are difficult to get a good grip on and lift them over the lip of the compartment. So I leave them in. Everything I have read says that IF the charge is kept up, they won't freeze and so far they haven't. The batteries can be left in but you would need to check the water level from time to time. You can remove the fuses from anything that will drain power from them --- detectors, stereo, etc. However, I would recommend that you take them inside and put a trickle charger on them. This seems to be the best way of caring for them.
I hope you have winterized your RV. While Seattle may not get extremely cold, it can and does freeze there and your RV pipes will freeze as well if you haven't taken steps to winterize your RV.
I would also crack your overhead vents and a couple of windows to get some circulation within the RV. You can also purchase some DRI Air Crystals (or similar product) which are placed in your RV and they absorb moisture from the air. The water that results will have to be dumped and the container refilled with fresh crystals.
You can Google winterizing an RV and find numerous sites that will take you through the steps. Search this forum and you will also find many posts about this topic.
Go into your unit from time to time and give it a thorough inspection for leaks, mice, etc.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
gepaine

From Another Seattle Area RV'er

I live in Carnation, WA (near Seattle) and have had good results cracking open the overhead vents as well as one window. I think this prevents condensation from forming on the inside. I have thought about using moisture absorbing crystals, but wonder how they would work with vents and windows cracked. (With our damp climate, I have to wonder how they would "keep up" with the constant flow of moist air thru the trailer.) On the other hand, if I were to close the vents and windows, I would definitely use the crystals due to the increase in condensation.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Jay D

If the TT is not under a roof or some kind of shelter are you worried about leaving the vents/windows open, rain or snow getting in? I live in RI and the winter can get pretty bad. I remove the battery and keep the TT unplugged. Look inside once in a while. So far so good. Jay
Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
pinn

I'm like Jay...I live in New Brunswick Canada and winter can be pretty fierce here.Just remove the battery and close up and inspect once in a while.I keep the battery in the basement of my house in the warm and put trickle charge on a few times each winter...No problems in over 10 yrs.
pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
gepaine

Jay D,

I'm not worried about snow or rain getting in the roof vents because I have a MaxxAir roof vent cover over each vent.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Blacktail

thanks everyone.
Blacktail is offline   Reply With Quote