Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
msubobcats

Not sure which highway to blame... Great cali roads

Made a trip down to Colusa via Hwy 70, Hwy 89, I-80, I-5 and Hwy 20. When we pulled into the Fairgrounds and set up ALL my clothes in the rear closet (a bunkhouse) were in a big pile. Not one hangar was on the rack.
Then on our trip home from Vacaville on I-80, Hwy 89 and Hwy 70 most of the clothes were on the floor, two beers in the outside kitchen fridge (nothing I would touch, MGD, I drink only micros) were shook up and mostly emptied inside the fridge and we found a couple screws that had rattled their way out... And we had stopped at the Rest Area outside of Colfax for a bite to eat and must not have pushed it shut real tight because it was open when we got home it was open and some containers were on the floor. But nothing had opened.
TIGHTEN everything down and secure the cargo... And I drive 60 mph max...
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
dcg9381

2016 Keystone:
Had the wheels balanced yet? There's no cure for poorly maintained highways, but you can help things stay screwed in by having those wheels/tires properly balanced...

Other than that, there's an art to getting it all bolted down.. :-)
Glad nothing serious was damaged.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
bobbecky

We were just up there last week, on the way south from Oregon. The roads are bad, but you have the added benefit of having your clothes hanging in the rear of your rig, don't know where the fridge is, but the rear of your trailer is going to move up and down a lot. Our previous 5er had a rear kitchen, and we had drawers completely out of the cabinet, doors over the fridge open and contents on the floor, among other messes. It took quite a bit of creativity to secure all the weak points of the rig so we didn't have to clean up at every stop.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
msubobcats

That is what I have heard about rear kitchens.
It was really hiarious about the clothes. But the fridge, fairly center passenger side was our boo-boo....
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Jayco had a rear bath/rear closet and we also has problems with the hangers bouncing off the rod. We solved that by getting "permanently attached hangers" only to have the clothes vibrating off the hangers, so it was a "no win" situation. We finally gave up and just packed clothes on the hangers and laid them on the floor before the trip, hanging them on the rod at our destination.

Fortunately, with our rear kitchen model, we haven't had "that much" stuff bounce around. Even the rear pantry seems to stay "organized" during travel. We pack everything in plastic baskets and that tends to keep things "in the same place". All our dishes are plastic/melamine and glasses are also plastic. About our only "luxury" is "real coffee cups" that we store separated from each other during travel.

Hopefully saying all of this hasn't "jinxed" my next trip

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Figuring out where to put what and how to secure them is an ongoing thing I suppose. We have a front bedroom, mid kitchen and rear living area. We've never had an issue with hanging clothes in the front, but, we did lose the sliding bathroom door when traveling on I20 thru Bossier City, LA. The glide/support was installed wrong from the factory and it busted which then let the door go crazy breaking loose from the strap, breaking the stop screws and busting out the enclosing woodwork; Keystone took care of it under warranty.

We've not had any issues with the rear of our trailer, which has 2 recliners there with doors above them, until this last trip. We had bought a new toaster oven for the trailer and stored it in an area behind one of the doors. When we stopped for the night (after covering the same stretch of I20 thru Shreveport/Bossier City, we found one door wide open and the "innards" of the toaster oven in the floor. We now secure those doors with a padded wooden dowel (we also turned the toaster oven around so its door faces to the rear). We use bungee cords and the spring loaded bars from CW for all our other kinds of stuff.

Unfortunately our roads aren't getting better; only worse, so I figure we RVers will have to continue to be creative with ways to keep things from flying around.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
Barbell

We have a "RL" and have had no problems in 3+ years. On a very rough section of I-20 around Jackson, MS, we had a few clothes jump off the rack in front BR closet but that was a one-time thing. If we turn the hangers around and hang from the rear, they seem to stay on. We have one cabinet door in kitchen that sometimes comes open but have never lost anything out of it. Probably need to adjust the latch.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Made a trip down to Colusa via Hwy 70, Hwy 89, I-80, I-5 and Hwy 20. When we pulled into the Fairgrounds and set up ALL my clothes in the rear closet (a bunkhouse) were in a big pile. Not one hangar was on the rack.
Then on our trip home from Vacaville on I-80, Hwy 89 and Hwy 70 most of the clothes were on the floor, two beers in the outside kitchen fridge (nothing I would touch, MGD, I drink only micros) were shook up and mostly emptied inside the fridge and we found a couple screws that had rattled their way out... And we had stopped at the Rest Area outside of Colfax for a bite to eat and must not have pushed it shut real tight because it was open when we got home it was open and some containers were on the floor. But nothing had opened.
TIGHTEN everything down and secure the cargo... And I drive 60 mph max...
When I was attempting to grow up in California years ago, the roads were great. You knew when you entered Nevada as the roads were rough. Now, in present day Kalifornia, the tables have turned and the Nevada roads are smoother.

To be fair, the roads in San Antonio and Houston are pretty sad, too...and I ❤️ Texas.

Bilstein 5100 shocks.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
gearhead

^^^A lot of truth there. We used to joke about when we crossed the border into Louisiana. Now there's not much difference.
Houston, Orange TX, Lake Charles LA, Jackson MS, and Birmingham, AL. Jeez, y'all do something.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote