Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
socalhd

Lifing Rig using Lippert Leveling system

This weekend we were camped in an unlevel spot. I used the auto level and although it did level the rig the tires on one side were about an inch off the ground. I thought I read somewhere, you should not lift tires off the ground with the Leveling system. I freaked a bit, so I hooked the truck back up, repositioned the rig and put 2x6s under the tires that had been off the ground. then re-did the Auto Level.
For future reference: Is it okay to leave it with tires off the ground while camping for a few days?
Secondly can you use the levelers to lift the trailer to remove tires or other mechanical work on the axles?

2007 F350 Dually
2014 Fuzion FZ342
2015 Harley CVO Limited
socalhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:01 AM   #2
canesfan

There was a thread on here a couple years ago about this. It was soon after I bought my current rig and there was a lot of discussion about it. Someone finally found and posted a photo of a trailer lifted off the ground in a brochure or ad touting the Lippert level up system. The consensus was yes you can lift the trailer. The other consensus was that the statement about not lifting your trailer off the ground was a legal CYA type thing. I've been in unlevel spots where one sides tires were off the ground. One time I did like you and put boards under it, the next time I didn't have my boards anymore and just left it. All that said I would not lift it to do any work on it where I had to be under the trailer. At least not without jack stands or blocks or whatever. But I'm not one to crawl around under my trailer anyway, one way or the other. I couldn't find the other thread with a brief search, but it's out there.

Edit - Here is the thread http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...=lippert+level
Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
cw3jason

Yes. The system is designed to lift the weight of your coach off the ground for leveling purposes. The longer the extension of the jacks will cause some shaking and the closer and more things you have on the ground will add to stability. The cya or caution is in reference to using the level up to change your tires. As the system is hydraulic and and could possibly fail it is not recommended to use it for maintenance. I would definitely use it if I was stuck on the side of the road with a flat, but I do understand the company covering their asses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
Fit4Infinity

So if the system lifts my FW tires off the ground then I could lift another inch to slide some boards under the tires. Hopefully when the auto level completes the second time the tires will rest comfortable on the boards on the ground. DW is not very happy to see FW with the tires off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fit4Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

IIRC the ground control 3.0 is rated at 20,000 lbs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
bobbecky

On the Trekwood site, they show the hydraulic ram assembly as having an 8,000 lb capacity, so for six of them, that is 48,000 lbs of capacity, so I think the system is more than capable of having the entire rig off the tires. I do the bearing service every year using the system, and once when I had to have the drums turned, it was like that for three days. http://www.trekwood.com/products/138...evel-Up-System
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Hydraulic is much stronger than the electric. Ground control is electric and level up is hydraulic.

I may have had ground control stuck in my head...LOL.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote