Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
nesparky

Awnings and wind speed

What kind of wind speeds is a typical awning capable of withstanding?
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Electric or manual?

Manual awnings can take more wind than electric ones. On manual awnings you can take the arm off and stake it to the ground. You can also add "de flappers" to hold the fabric tighter.

Electric awnings don't have the same options and as such less wind will play havoc. To say what wind speed is max, is a guessing game IMO. I always advise my customers that if the awning starts rocking it's time to bring it in.

My old trailer had a manual awning and I can say I have left it up in 20MPH cross wind. My current trailer has an electric awning and I have retracted it at 5 MPH.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
chris199

I leave it out for maybe 5 mph. I dont risk damage. I may go higher in practice but if it starts flopping, in it goes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
rschad

I have flown quite a number of hang gliders and sailplanes and so hearing the question what wind speed can an awning handle is quite enjoyable.

There are quite a number of factors involved: the square footage of the awning(sail or wing), the angle of attack(is it fully up and catching all the wind or lowered and the wind is pushing it toward the trailer), strength of attachments, strength of the sail/awning, the type of wind, gusty or steady and how frigging lucky are you?

Trailers aren't meant to fly so best to not extend a wing not capable of lifting the fuselage (if it could lift the fuselage then you would have a flying rv and that would really be neat).
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 AM   #5
Pull Toy

If in doubt about conditions... put it away... save BIG bucks! $$$ (and the grief of trying to figure out how to get it home, after it all came apart)

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:22 AM   #6
zuley

This is probably as good of a place as anywhere to ask this question... Why do they suggest you do not tie down electric awnings? I do tie mine down with the thoughts it may save grief from an unforeseen gust of wind. However, if it starts to get windy continually I do in fact retract it.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #7
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
This is probably as good of a place as anywhere to ask this question... Why do they suggest you do not tie down electric awnings? I do tie mine down with the thoughts it may save grief from an unforeseen gust of wind. However, if it starts to get windy continually I do in fact retract it.
This is exactly what I do as well on most occasions after setting up. I don't put an undue amount of stress on it when tying it down though, just enough. The way I do the stakes it handles most small winds just fine, but if a big gust can along, it would likely pull them up.

My intent here is to allow a big gust to pull the stakes out but not take the awning off. Of course I look ahead in the weather patterns, and if I'm not going to be close by to retract it in case of big winds, I do so before I leave.

I think the reasoning has to with either the fabric or the mechanism. Like has been said, most manuals can be staked to the ground. Most electrics are attached at 4 points on the trailer. I would think that enough wind on a manual staked to the ground would lead to fabric tearing, where as an electric...its either flipping up over the trailer are tearing arms off the side of the trailer or both.

In my case, the tying down is just to give myself a little breathing room while I'm around if it is a little windy and I want to have the awning out.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
Model A Driver

Our friends lost an awning at the Outer Banks one year. All three families left for an hour to get dinner. Sky was clear when we returned his canopy was draped completely over his 35' fifth wheel. I have an electric awning and it does not behave like my manual one on the Damon. I reel it in even if I go to the convenience store and back.
The Damon awning came undone during high winds on I-75 to Florida. The wind was so bad it moved our 35' MH and tow car into the inside lane with one big gust. Another RV alerted me that my awning had come detached from the RV. I guess my moral of the story is do not underestimate wind. It has got my attention.
2000 Damon Challenger MH - Totaled by wrecker driver
Model A Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Higher end ($$$) motor homes come with auto retract awnings. Older models had an anemometer mounted on the roof. New technology uses a motion detector mounted on the outer edge of the awning. We test the new ones by hitting the awning with our hands.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:11 AM   #10
cpaulsen

I made pvc awning poles for my electric awning and used the screw in ground anchors to tie it down. Have had it out in 25 mph winds with no problems. If it does get windy....I just bring it in.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #11
Mike484

Costs too much to get it repaired to take a chance.

Ours is only out if we are out, if we are not going to be sitting outside, the awning is in. If we leave, it comes in. It's push button, only takes a few seconds to go out or come in, why take a chance.

Weigh the risk. If your not actually useing it, what is the purpose to have it out? If it's flapping in the wind and you wonder if it's OK, why is it out. One repair bill will get you to realize it's not worth taking a chance.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
socalhd

Ive found my electric awnings are almost useless in any type breeze. In reading other articles. I tried something this weekend. I used Bungie cords and Motorcycl straps. I looped a bungie around the arms at the lowest half circle cut in the arm. ( almost looks like it is cut out for this). Then the strap hooked to the bottom hole of the leveler. did the same thing fron and rear of the awnings. Worked great

2007 F350 Dually
2014 Fuzion FZ342
2015 Harley CVO Limited
socalhd is offline   Reply With Quote