Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Bob Landry

Poorly Built Drawer Supports

I posted on this topic a little while back, but I'm doing it again because these photos show more detail and I think this is a common contruction practice for Keystone with all of their trailers regardless of price point. The photos show out of order becaue of the naming and I didn't want to have to go back and rename them just to get them to appear in a different order.

The middle photo shows how Keystone builds the support for the cabinet and dresser drawer glides. A piece of scrap luan plywood is attached to the 1X2 with wire staples. The bottom photo shows the single screw that goes through the 1X2 creating a pivot point allowing the entire drawer assy to rock in the directions shown by the yellow arrows during travel. This eventually pulls the staples through the 1/8" luan and the result is a drawer that flops around in the cabinet or dresser, especially if it has much of a load in it.
The top photo shows an easy solution, a piece of 1/2" plywood attached to the 1X2 with screws. I used deck screws because that was what I had with me, but any type and length will work. A second scew placed anywhere through the 1X2 eliminates the pivot point and prevents the entire assy from rocking during travel.

Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
therink

Been there, done that. Nice illustration though.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
Jim W

Bob,
This is not only a Keystone issue, this problem exist on even high end models.
I bought a used 2006 Ameri-Camp Summit Ridge in 2007. In 2008 I rebuilt all of the drawer supports in the camper. The drawers supports were plastic face frame supports that failed within a year of use on the camper.
Since I am an amateur wood woodworker, I took the cabinets apart and used ball bearing glides and secured them correctly. The support were rated for 150 LBS ball bearing style so they would not fail again.

This is one area that I looked at when I was buying my Cougar and I felt these were attached correctly to support the intended load.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
Bob Landry

I have no issues with the glides. They are ball bearing type and seem suitable for the task. I just had an issus with how they were assembled and after having twosupports come apart, I decided to rebuild them all. They used good materials, the installation left a little to be desired. I had no difficulty doing it, my question is, why should I have to.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Jim W

Bob, sorry for the delay in replying, but we were away for a week with no internet connection.

What I was trying to reply about is that almost all manufactures take short cuts in the process of building their products.

My wife and I took a tour of another RV manufacture in Middlebury IN. in July 2011. This manufacture of the RV units, is claimed by others on the internet to build a high quality camper. I was able to see the process from start to finish along with the cabinet shop. The cabinets are built in an assembly line fashion and they must complete 7 to 8 units a day. Using modern assembly techniques, such as brad nailer's and screw guns to assembly the cabinets. No mortise and tenon here.
Needles to say I was not impress with the build method in the cabinet shop.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote