Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
bdaniel

Tire Repair Question

I just had a tire repaired under warranty on my Copper Canyon. It had a simple RV type screw in it. I assumed the tire would be disassembled and a proper tubeless patch/plug installed. This is how my truck tires have been done by Discount Tire in the past.

It looks like they did the sticky rope repair where they simply plugged the tire without taking it off the rim. This does not seem right to me when these tires require 65 lbs of air pressure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
ktmracer

I've had plugs put on many a tire, including LR E and no problems. Done properly it should be just as good as an internal patch.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

If the screw or nail did not damage the radial cords of the tire, running a file in and out of the hole and then jamming a plug in, is bound to break some cords. This is why tire manufacturers do not consider this a proper repair. This is also a major cause of future tread separation. Since the damage may have already been done, I would watch it very closely and switch it with the spare as soon as possible. If you plug a tire on your car or truck you will hear and feel it if the tread starts to separate or bubble. On the trailer you probably won't know until it separates and causes $$$$$ damage to your trailer and vehicles behind you. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
chuck&gail

If it was mine I'd take it to Discount Tire and let them repair it "properly" from the inside. Did the repair guy at least ask if you wanted fries with it?
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
KenBob

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

This may answer your question.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
scottm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
I just had a tire repaired under warranty on my Copper Canyon. It had a simple RV type screw in it. I assumed the tire would be disassembled and a proper tubeless patch/plug installed. This is how my truck tires have been done by Discount Tire in the past.

It looks like they did the sticky rope repair where they simply plugged the tire without taking it off the rim. This does not seem right to me when these tires require 65 lbs of air pressure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bobby
JMHO, but Tire plugs are for fork lifts, lawn mower, and wheel barrow tires....not for something that holds 60-80 lbs of air, goes 75 mph, and has you and your family in or attached to it. Take it to the tire store and have it repaired from the inside with a plug/patch. This is a repair that patches from the inside so the air pressure presses the patch against the hole, and the plug seals the water from getting in the hole and rusting the steel cords from the outside. This is the best repair on the market. While I must admit, I have used tire plugs on my vehicles, it was only to get me home ro to the tire store so I either didn't have to risk my life changing a spare on the side of the road, or it was so darn hot or cold it was too uncomfortable to do it. I then would plug the hole, inflate it with my onboard air compressor, then get to the tire store and have it fixed properly the way I described. JMHO
scottm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
bdaniel

I agree 100%. Before my recent 7,000 mile trip I took the tire off, took it to Discount Tire and asked them if they could fix it. They said yes. I ask how much it would cost. I expected to pay $20.

They said it was free. I said, but I did not buy the tire from you guys. They said it does not matter, that is just what we do. I told them I had spent a lot of money with them in the past and I would continue to do so.

The dealership repair guy had left on vacation when I picked up my unit and left word that we would settle later. Apparently he did not get the message that I expected the tire to be repaired under warranty since the tire had the screw in it when I towed it home from the dealership. I did not pick up a classic camper screw in my driveway. That happened at the dealership or the factory. I am sure he will try to charge me $20 for the plug and another $40-50 for labor. I have the old plug. It looks pathetic. No reputable tire repair place would put a sticky rope plug in a tire with 65 pounds of air pressure. I could have done that in my driveway. I also carry a plug kit and air compressor for emergency repairs.

And when I picked up the unit, the pressure was not correct.

Thanks to all who replied.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote