Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
g8er065

Cabinet Door Screws

Last July I purchased a Bullet 294BHS. The second trip the screws on the shock in the door stripped out. Same trip I noticed some of the cabinet doors were loose. Started checking them and found the screws were stripping out of the cabinet. Had it back twice to get them repaired and now I have cabinet doors falling off. Anyone else having this problem?
g8er065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No I haven't had that problem, but you can take a wooden match stick or a toothpick, cut it to fit into the stripped screwhole, mix a little 2 part epoxy and reset the screws. They will hold and not loosen any more. Part of owning an RV is the "joy" of realizing that you need to tighten things that "bounce and vibrate" loose on a regular basis. Cabinet doors in an RV are not like the ones in your stick house. I'd bet if you put them in an RV, they would loosen faster than what you're seeing happen in your Bullet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
fla-gypsy

I have used the matchstick trick very successfully many times, it works
Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Bob Landry

I replaced a lot of my cabinet screws with machine screws with small washers and nuts on the back side. I colored the heads with a Sharpie and it's hard to tell the difference. If a door happens to open during travel, it's almost guaranteed that the screws will pull out and when you get to your destination, you'll find a door on the floor. You may be able to find longer cabinet screws at a hardware store, and that would also take care of the problem. The little screws that come with hinges are less than 1/2" and don't give very much of a bite into the wood.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Corbin1357

I had this problem, not all of them but a couple. Home Depot has screws that look almost the same and are a little thicker, and seem to hold a lot better. I bought a bunch of the screws and as the old ones go I just replace with the new one and seems to be holding great!

2005 Ford F150 Fx4 Supercab 5.4L
2012 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
Corbin1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
2001softy

drove for one hour to get home from a campground parked the trailer opened the door and found 2 cabinet doors on the floor and 2 others real loose with striped screws!used wood glue on the threads with larger screws.trailer is a year old!!
2001softy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No I haven't had that problem, but you can take a wooden match stick or a toothpick, cut it to fit into the stripped screwhole, mix a little 2 part epoxy and reset the screws. They will hold and not loosen any more. Part of owning an RV is the "joy" of realizing that you need to tighten things that "bounce and vibrate" loose on a regular basis. Cabinet doors in an RV are not like the ones in your stick house. I'd bet if you put them in an RV, they would loosen faster than what you're seeing happen in your Bullet.
x2. The addition of the epoxy will guarantee that the screws won't come loose.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:29 AM   #8
CDM

screws loose / counter edging

I've only had my RV for 1 month, but have the same problem with cabinet doors in my Bullet. I will try the matchstick and epoxy method. I also have the edging around the countertops coming out. Any recommendation for a fix for the edging?
CDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #9
jsmith948

Our bathroom door striker plate came loose. The hole in the wood was so gouged out that one of the screws had broken/split the wood in such a way that there wasn't anything left for the screw to bite into. Found a tube of Elmer's stainable wood filler - filled the hole/split with the filler and carefully aligned the striker plate and inserted the screw. Once the filler hardened the screw and the striker were tight.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
sjturbo

Match sticks or such is a good suggestion. If the size of the hole or screw permits I use an old wood golf tee. It is made of hardwood and is much less likely to strip out.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #11
Bob Landry

I also had o rebuild drawer slide supports. Count on having to do that also.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote