Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
buckeyebobhockingcamper

auxiliary diesel fuel tank

hello ,i need to extend my fuel range as my 26 gallon tank is waaaaay too small on my trips from ohio to florida keys.i have looked at a lot of online ads for tanks ,but would like a real truck store for purchase or install.any advice would be appreciated.would like vertical as it gives mor bed room 32 gallon or so. 2007 1/2 duramax crew cab 6.5 bed,thanks buckeyebob
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

They are pricey but have you considered a replacement fuel tank These would require no bed space and no filling or transfer problems. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
jtyphoid

Big truck with itty bitty fuel tank is one of my pet peeves. I'm certain that there's a reason why manufacturers do this, but it sure is annoying.

I went with a replacement 47 gallon tank on my 2008 F350, and am very happy with it.

It was, as Hank mentions, rather expensive.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
jsmith948

We looked at a replacement tank as well. More than I want to spend right now. We stop often enough for potty breaks that we do okay with the small tank. For now, guess we'll get a yellow, 5 gal jug to carry in case we find ourselves running low.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
We looked at a replacement tank as well. More than I want to spend right now. We stop often enough for potty breaks that we do okay with the small tank. For now, guess we'll get a yellow, 5 gal jug to carry in case we find ourselves running low.
Get 2. I was quoted $1,200 for a Titan tank and just decided the yellow cans are a heck of a lot cheaper. Needed to use one heading North from Vegas and very glad I had it.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
buckeyebobhockingcamper

i dont mind stopping for rest but 37 foot 5er doesnt fit everywhere.i went to flying j near florida city and paid 4.21 for diesel!!!it was less in key west!!!figured id get it cheaper and drive further.best price i have for aux tank is around 550 with kit /shipping 85 more.
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
jsmith948

Yeah, an aux or larger tank would make it possible to buy fuel where it's cheaper. We got caught too low on fuel on our way back from Quartzsite and had to pay 4.59. If I had a 5 gal can we could have made it to cheaper station.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
2014Fuzion300

We bought a 50 gallons transfer tank from craigslist with a pump for $300.

Only use it for the long-haul's.
(2x2x2) feet.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
floatflyer

Take a look at Transfer Flow tanks. I replaced my 26 gallon tank with their 47 gallon version.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #10
DiverB

I have a 60 Gallon Titan Fuel tank. Yep pricey, but during the summer months I make my own bio diesel and the larger tank allows me to head north 250-300 miles and make it back without buying diesel, or very little of it if I do buy some its only 10-15 gallons to get me back home.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #11
mazboy123

titan fuel tank

we or should I say I went with a titan tank that replaced our bottom fuel tank.

total cost was about $1900...including labor.

The tank I have in my chevy short bed is suppose to be 50 gallons but the best I've gotten is 40 gallons. Been to 2 different garages to try to revamp the venting hoses (this is what is causing the limitation--what titans says)

Couple of things to note: 1. my wife still wants to stop every 1 1/2-2 hours and now that I don't have to fill up, I am finding it difficult to find a parking place with my 40 foot trailer behind me. I don't pull into gas stations now.

2. wife is still mad at my spending the money.

3. wish I could get the 50 gallon fill as titan stated.

4. seems like it now requires my stopping pressure on brake foot pedal.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
schrod
Permanent User Ban

I went this route for the time being as it doubles my fuel capacity and takes up little bed space. Much cheaper than aftermarket larger tank. Comes complete with pump and was shipped directly from the factory and was super wrapped to avoid shipping damage.

EnduraPlas Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank — 25-Gal., Compact Style, Model# DLC2512V10

It was on sale at Northern Tool & Equipment. I really like it and have it strapped up front and the tonneau clears it nicely.

Made in the U.S.A. in I believe North Dakota. Weighs around 85 lbs.

That guy with the 50 gal. tank he bought showing it in the back of his truck is asking for trouble. Sitting in there loose and not strapped down. Liabilities up the arse if he is ever stopped or in an accident.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
AdkWoody

I got a Titan midship replacement tank that nearly doubled my fuel capacity. I went from a 26 gal to a 50 gal. As a daily I fill up once every 3-4 weeks. My towing distance has increased significantly as well. For me, if I say a 1/4 = empty then I have a good "buffer" in case I hit a traffic jam or something I still have fuel. So now my 1/4 tank is almost equal to half my old tank. I never worry about running out of fuel with such a simple mindset. FYI, the larger tank also allows me to take advantage of cheap fuel. I fill up when it's cheaper then I can hold out until the price falls again. The tank was over a grand and I installed it with some help in my driveway. The savings in one year by waiting out fuel prices, was close to $800. Not a HUGE savings but the tank will pay for itself in just a few years (for me). Now you WILL pay near double per trip to the pump, ie. $100 is now $200 per tank, but you have to stop at least half as much! They also offer a spare tire replacement if I remember correctly. Not sure if that was something you'd be interested in. Search Titan Tanks and you'll find them. Good luck!

Mods to come....

Door stops for bathroom and bedroom doors.

12V receptacles in bedrooms, kitchen and entertainment center.

L.E.D. bulb replacement throughout.

Sewer hose holder (I don't like it in the bumper)
AdkWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
kampfitt

Check Northern Hyd. RDS 45 gal. tank under $500, 60"W x 21"T x 9"D ,no problem in shortbox truck , then either use a transfer pump when you stop for breaks or the install kit $59. that's what i use with a 12 volt valve to control when i fill truck tank. stops the gas gauge from going to E when it stays on full to long. 26 gal truck tank 45 gal Aux tank you can count on 60 gal usable with out stopping!! worked great out west and use at home find cheapest fuel (gasbuddy.com) around then go fill up!! paid for itself already.
kampfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
Jim Dow

Aux Fuel Tank/Tool Box

I added a combination 45 gal aux diesel tank/tool box to the bed of my F250.

I'm very glad I did!!!

It only takes a few minutes to refill from the aux tank at a rest stop; and it saves a lot on my peace of mind not to have to pull into a crowded service station when I'm running dangerously low on fuel.

Total installed price was around $900 with quick connect hose and keyed off/on switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckToolboxHoist.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	6345  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote