Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
davidbow43

i want to upgrade my wheels on 04 Springdale

I want to upgrade my wheels from a 15 inch rim to a 16 inch rim. mainly to improve tire life and load capability. I don't want any tire failures. I've had 3 already in my first season. one due to original tire that blew on first trip. the next 2 were on used tires that i bought. never again will i buy used. lesson learned. My only concern is does the camper have enough clearance in the tire well to accommodate this change. the 15 wheel/tire combo i have now is a 28.5 inch tall tire. i need to check my clearance but I'm thinking I have 4 inches of clearance now (forgot to measure when i was working on it last week). the new 16 inch wheel/tire combo i am thinking of using has a 31 inch diameter. this should reduce my clearance by 1.5 inches, so thats a clearance of 2.5. has anyone else done this and is 2.5 enough? Thanks in advance for any answers.
davidbow43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
bg71361

I have about 2.5" after upgrade to 16" combo no issues with anything rubbing etc.. However as you know there are few variables to take into considerations.
Good luck!
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
davidbow43

tire upgrade to 16

Please enlighten me. What variables are you referring to?
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
bg71361

Springs they are usually bare minimum as equipped from factor, I upgraded mine so one would assume the are stiffer and deflect less. You could also have slide which could also introduce more bracing in the wheel well area and reduce clearance. You also want to watch clearance between tires this varies by the size tire you select.
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
davidbow43

16 upgrade

thanks, yes i bet that would make a difference. Plus my axles have shackles on them also which allows them to flex or walk. i will try to find a 16 wheel and tire to try on and see how it looks.