Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
Morotcycle Todd

Towing an Impact 28V with a 1/2 Ton

So my introduce yourself thread turned into "your half ton isn't big enough to tow that trailer" circus. I had done my homework before hand, and even though it's at the very upper limits of the published capability of my truck, I am confident my truck is sufficient. However after some very negative feedback from a few people here, I decided to do a little more research and make sure I wasn't wrong.

I am taking delivery of an Impact 28V in March. Here are the specs:
Shipping weight: 7330 lbs.
cargo capacity: 2670lbs
Total max weight of trailer fully loaded: 10,000lbs
published tongue weight: 1225lbs (12.25% of max weight)

Payload sticker of my truck:

Tow rating of truck: 9500lbs (Yes I know you all think it's a useless number and paylaod is more important)

Here are my calculations:
empty trailer: 7330
battery: 66
propane: 60
Onan generator: 178
two race bikes: 666
fuel weight: 180
40 gallons water weight: 332 (we have never run out at the racetrack with current 38 gallon tank)
misc other: 500
Total cargo weight: 1982
Total trailer weight: 9312

At published tongue weight of 12.25% that would mean hitch weight of 1141 lbs

payload deductions
tonneau cover: 50
running boards: 50
Myself: 240
Wife: 140
WD hitch: 100

Total payload with hitch weight: 1711 lbs (45lbs to spare!)

Numbers work just fine. Sure they are pushing the limits but that is what limits are. If you can't approach them, what good are they?

I could theoretically increase the cargo in the trailer 200 lbs more and still be at 1735 lbs payload on the truck with 12.25% tongue weight.

I could also theoretically balance the trailer (easy to do with toyhauler garage in the back) and reduce tongue weight down to 10% with 9500 total trailer and cargo weight and still have 236 lbs of payload left to put some light cargo in the bed of the truck, but the whole purpose of the toyhauler is everything will fit in there just dandy and I won't need the bed of the truck.

I also found this while doing some more research.
https://rvlifemag.com/towing-half-to...e-quarter-ton/

The article makes some good arguments why in some cases a 1/2 ton might actually be better than a 3/4 ton. I'm not saying a 3/4 ton wouldn't be better in my situation, but certainly raised some questions about independent front suspension of 1/2 tons versus live axle of 3/4 tons. As long as you aren't overloading, the 1/2 ton actually has some advantages.

I won't know for sure until I actually take delivery, load the trailer up and try it out.

I am planning on using an Equal-i-zer 4 point sway control weight distribution hitch and will take the time to actually get the trailer weighed and do some cargo re-balancing if needed.

Bottom line is my current setup with the Jayco travel trailer, where I am putting the race bikes, fuel and portable generators in the bed of the truck already overloads the "sticker payload" number of my truck and I have no issues with sway or vehicle handling at all.

500lb tongue weight of Jayco
666 bikes
portable generators: 75
25 gallons of gas: 150
total payload of current setup: 1961lbs (205 lbs over)

With a properly setup quality WD hitch I have no worries about my trucks capablity to tow my new Impact 28V next year.

Unless you can show me where my calculations are actually incorrect, please keep the negative comments to yourself.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morotcycle Todd View Post
So my introduce yourself thread turned into "your half ton isn't big enough to tow that trailer" circus. I had done my homework before hand, and even though it's at the very upper limits of the published capability of my truck, I am confident my truck is sufficient. However after some very negative feedback from a few people here, I decided to do a little more research and make sure I wasn't wrong.

Tow rating of truck: 9500lbs (Yes I know you all think it's a useless number and paylaod is more important)

40 gallons water weight: 332 (we have never run out at the racetrack with current 38 gallon tank)

payload deductions

Numbers work just fine. Sure they are pushing the limits but that is what limits are. If you can't approach them, what good are they?

I could theoretically increase the cargo in the trailer 200 lbs more and still be at 1735 lbs payload on the truck with 12.25% tongue weight.

I could also theoretically balance the trailer (easy to do with toyhauler garage in the back) and reduce tongue weight down to 10% with 9500 total trailer and cargo weight and still have 236 lbs of payload left to put some light cargo in the bed of the truck, but the whole purpose of the toyhauler is everything will fit in there just dandy and I won't need the bed of the truck.

The article makes some good arguments why in some cases a 1/2 ton might actually be better than a 3/4 ton. I'm not saying a 3/4 ton wouldn't be better in my situation, but certainly raised some questions about independent front suspension of 1/2 tons versus live axle of 3/4 tons. As long as you aren't overloading, the 1/2 ton actually has some advantages.

I won't know for sure until I actually take delivery, load the trailer up and try it out.

I am planning on using an Equal-i-zer 4 point sway control weight distribution hitch and will take the time to actually get the trailer weighed and do some cargo re-balancing if needed.

Bottom line is my current setup with the Jayco travel trailer, where I am putting the race bikes, fuel and portable generators in the bed of the truck already overloads the "sticker payload" number of my truck and I have no issues with sway or vehicle handling at all.

666 bikes

With a properly setup quality WD hitch I have no worries about my trucks capablity to tow my new Impact 28V next year.

Unless you can show me where my calculations are actually incorrect, please keep the negative comments to yourself.
Where did you account for the weight of ALL the tools & spare parts necessary for racing, that could easily & very quickly use up that 200 lb cushion.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morotcycle Todd View Post

payload deductions

666 bikes

Where did you account for the weight of ALL the tools & spare parts necessary for racing, either in the truck & rv, that could easily & very quickly use up that 200 lb cushion & the 45 lbs of payload you have left.
Unless you've hit the scales all these numbers are guess work. Typically any numbers posted by the rv manufacturer are light compared to actual weights. On this particular one at least they posted the correct percentage of the GVWR & not the dry weight as they usually do.
From reading your numbers that truck is right at the upper limits of payload & that magic "max tow weight" numder with no room to spare, IMHO it's too light & would be looking for more truck, just my .02!
But if you're convinced you have more than enough truck then by all means head to track & enjoy.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

It's pretty difficult to show you "where your calculations are wrong" when you yourself have no idea if they are correct - they are guesses just like anyone else will do....based on experience.

In your last thread you stated you did not need anyone's validation of your towing situation and argued against anything said. Now you're back to ? Best I can figure is to try to validate your decisions - which don't really hold up - BTDT. I would just say you need to put that Equalizer on a scale - all the components for it. I would also point out that the gvw of the trailer you are using is a "guestimate" from the factory. Every trailer they turn out of the same model does not weigh the same. The trailer I have in my signature was over 500lbs. heavier than the one I was looking at. How/why? I don't know but it was certainly a surprise - only I had enough truck and wasn't concerned.

You've never done it apparently, but towing a 10k lb. trailer behind a 1/2 ton is not like towing your Jayco Jayflight (6500gvw?). You will now be towing a trailer that weighs about double what your truck does (almost); btdt, it's not the same....at all.

You are obviously convinced you know what you are doing and any critical or negative remarks about your assumptions are not allowed....so why the post? Oh, and with that big a trailer on a 1/2 ton you really should keep a 10% safety cushion....
Old 10-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

"Unless you can show me where my calculations are actually incorrect, please keep the negative comments to yourself."

Let me translate .... I have absolutely no idea what the actual weight of my trailer is and I've given you a bunch of "estimated" values and if you can't give me a factual answer than don't bother answering at all.

Consider this a nonanswer. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Why don’t we all just wait until you actually HAVE the trailer, load it up and take a trip to the scales. That way NOBODY has to “guess”. Numbers from a scale ticket don’t lie.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
Morotcycle Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Where did you account for the weight of ALL the tools & spare parts necessary for racing, that could easily & very quickly use up that 200 lb cushion.
It's in there....

MISC: 500lbs
Old 10-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Todd, The camper gross weight is 11400 lbs. and normally the hitch weight will be 13 percent. This says you are likely over 1300-1400 lbs hitch weight. You payload is 1756 lbs. This will give you about 300 lbs for passengers, dogs, cats, canaries, tools, etc etc. You will also be dragging a 33 ft sail down the road with a small pickup and stability and wear on the truck becomes and issue. Time for a new tow vehicle or smaller trailer in my most humble opinion. Of course, you are the final judge on whether you and the ones you carry in the trailer and the other folks on the road are safe so I hope you use good judgement. Good luck and best wishes!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 10-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
linux3

Jut as an aside GMC / Chevy 2500's have independent front suspension.
Don't know about the 3500.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
Old 10-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

"theoretically speaking"

You will most "Likely" be over payload and maybe tow ratings. Your so close and you know you are. Load up and a trip to the scales will show you real numbers. What you do if anything is up to you. If it was me I would feel that for the safety of my family, self and the motoring public. I would get a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.
Pay close attention to the rear axle weight. Make sure the sidewalls are not rubbing the road over bumps.
The argument that others do it, well, yes they do. The question is should they or you.
Sorry, I did not answer your question. It was really a set up question, looking at a pin point of the whole picture. I tried my best to be real, not theoretical.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #11
Morotcycle Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Why don’t we all just wait until you actually HAVE the trailer, load it up and take a trip to the scales. That way NOBODY has to “guess”. Numbers from a scale ticket don’t lie.
Agreed. The naysayers all come on here and criticize someone's rig without all the facts and just making up assumptions.

I do all the calculations and state "theoretically" the numbers are fine and then admit in my original post that until I actually have the trailer, it's just that, guessing and speculation.

Then they guess and speculate about my experience. First they assume because my current trailer is a little Jayco they assume that is the only thing I have every towed. Of course they don't know that I have towed a 13K fifth wheel before (No, not with a half ton, with a 2500HD) and that I have towed a 10K loaded dump trailer with my current 1/2 ton. And none of these naysayers have acknowledged that according to the yellow sticker payload
sticker numbers they revere so highly, that the TH I'm getting is a significant improvement over my current situation. It's quite comical.

I just think it's ridiculous that people on the "it's not safe" side can make all kinds of assumptions and speculation and make judgements without any numbers, then when presented with actual numbers, it's just more excuses why you can't believe the numbers. Have they ever towed a properly setup 33', 9500lb trailer with a 1/2 ton truck themselves?

Even if the numbers from Keystone are not "correct" as someone suggested here, there are always safety factors involved with any published tow ratings, load ratings and GVWR numbers. If you go over the ratings and payload numbers it's not like the rig automatically becomes unsafe.

Case in point my current setup, with all my race gear in the bed of the truck, puts me easily 200lbs over the payload rating of my truck, yet it sits totally level and handles just fine.

A properly setup WD hitch and properly balanced trailer is much more important in making a rig safe then whether the numbers work or not. Come March when I have actual weigths from a scale and picture of my setup, and I tell you it pulls fine at 65mph with no excessive sway, will anyone here concede they were wrong? Somehow I doubt it. Until then, they are just speculating anyways.

This is quite humorous actually...

Anyone want to give me some usual information about my 28V that I might not know about or some tips and ideas about living with a toyhayuler that don't have anything to do with my TV? That is the original reason I came to this forum. Instead I'm on trial for thinking I might be able to tow a 9000lb loaded trailer with a tongue weight of 1225 lbs or less, with a truck that has a tow rating of 9500lbs and payload rating of 1756lbs. Unreal....
Old 10-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
Morotcycle Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
From reading your numbers that truck is right at the upper limits of payload & that magic "max tow weight" numder with no room to spare, IMHO it's too light & would be looking for more truck, just my .02!
This is the crap I'm talkking about. Everyone wants to get all technical when criticizing, but after all the critical thinking and calculations are done it still comes down to "IMHO" and speculation.

I have asked it multiple times and not one person has attempted to answer. What good is a tow rating or payload limit, if you can't approach it?

It's only one's fear that the published limits might not be accurate that makes someone believe they should have a truck that has significantly more capability then they need. As an engineer I know that no manufacturer would publish any limit without a significant safety factor involved.

I have no problem with someone admitting there own fear or worry causes them to be more comfortable with more truck then they really need. But to criticize someone else because they choose to use the full capability of the truck they already have is just wrong. Sure if I had bought the 29V I would agree that instead of approaching the limits of my vehicle I would be going over them.

I get it, that a lot of uninformed ignorant people come to the forum and want someone to say their rig is okay even though it is clearly over the published capability of their TV. That's not the case here.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
Sarge2

MCT, I don't think anyone on here was trying to create a "circus"... I think that the long timers here have a vast knowledge of things and just want you to be safe. That being said, I have a close friend who tows a 32 foot outback with his 1/2 ton Ram.... Since he doesn't go to far from home he is content with it... I myself think it's wayyyy to much trailer for that size truck. His is a new lwb Ram 1500 but that trailer is over 10,000 lbs I'm sure... I'm a relative newbie to TT's and I'm always open to these peoples opinions as they have far more experience than I do... My 2019 Ram 1500 says it will haul 11,250lbs... would I tow something that large... No... The TT I have is nearly 7000 loaded with all my stuff... That's about what I'd say should be the limit regardless... after towing it several times recently I've found a few things about the truck makes me think I err' d in getting it... Number 1 is the wheelbase... found that interesting in a fairly strong crosswind...
All that being said, I make it point to listen to and respect the majority of the people on this site that have been towing for years... Again, they were thinking about your safety... ultimately, it's your call... Best wishes and happy motoring... Sarge
Old 10-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Morotcycle Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
"theoretically speaking"

You will most "Likely" be over payload and maybe tow ratings.
Again all speculation. What is your basis for sayong that I will be "likely" over?

You are also assuming there is no safety factor built into any published numbers.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ll say it one last time:

Why don’t we all just wait until you have the trailer and CAT scale numbers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Pending factual weight results from an actual scale, anything/everything being discussed is "opinion". There have been far too many "You're uninformed and ignorant"... Time to close the thread before someone steps over the line.

OP, when you have your weight slips in hand and should you want any advice about the weights, capabilities or "opinions from other members" please post the FACTUAL information in a new thread... No need for anyone to keep speculating about something nobody can assert as factual.

Thread closed to prevent inadvertent or intentional violation of forum rules.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing