Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
Vet4jdc

RV side repair

I had hoped I would NEVER need to ask this question. We arrived at a campground yesterday and upon entering the cg I got too close and hit a building overhang with the side of our rig. Put a 6” x 24 “ gouge right in the side between the two slides. Long story but did damage to the side all the way thru to the interior kitchen wall. Pretty serious but we are able to operate the slides and keep going on our 15 day trip. I have contacted insurance and will start a claim. I am curious what is the process in fixing a major side penetration like this? Is the damage cut out and replaced and fiberglassed in? Who had had this type or repair done?
Vet4jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
roadglide

Can you post some pictures? That could be main Structural area because of the slides.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
Vet4jdc

Stud next to slide is intact. Next stud appears to be past the damage? From the damage on the insude I can not see one stud. Hole may be bwteen them??? What is the stud spacing on the side walls?

Covered the outside with gorilla tape so pics wont show much
Old 10-08-2020, 01:10 AM   #4
Vet4jdc

Trying to see if anyone has had a repair done to fiberglass siding? What is the procedure? Anyone ???
Old 10-08-2020, 04:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Marine repair facilities do this kind of restoration all the time. I'd recommend contacting a boat fiberglass repair in your area and discuss with them what they'd do and how much it would cost.

Have you filed the insurance claim yet? Most insurance companies take on the responsibility of locating suitable repair facilities to complete the work, of course with the approval of the insured. What have they suggested?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
LewisB

My damage came from another driver who side-swiped our trailer with this rear-view mirror. We were fortunate that it put a 6" X 24" gash through the outer wall but didn't extend to the inner wall. No internal structural components were damaged. So this was basically just a penetration/scrape of the outer fiberglass wall. The flat tire came from his knocking off the TST TPMS sensor; the system works and the sensor was easily replaced. Praise God this didn't impact the fuel station or fuel tanks. He did take the bottom rung of the side-mounted ladder; I just cut that bottom rung off and use a step stool to get to the next rung up. Perfect repair? Not by any stretch of the imagination. But by being flexible in my expectations, I save thousands of dollars and more importantly didn't have to relinquish my trailer to repair shops for several weeks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	30244

Name:	IMG_2103 (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	30243

I emailed photos to two different fiberglass shops and they gave me estimates of $4,000 to $5,000 for this repair! I couldn't believe it - either they didn't really want the work or they were concerned that I would be picky about the final work. They both stated the biggest cost was matching the paint and that they would have to paint and redo the graphics on the entire side panel.

This ended up being on my dime - the police refused to cite the other driver. I could have let my insurance handle the repair but it would have taken weeks to accomplish and I would undoubtedly see an increase in my insurance costs.

So, I purchased some fiberglass repair materials (glass, bondo, etc.), sanded the area down, patched it, sanded it, and painted it - cost about $100 for materials and a week of my time. Lots of "how to" videos on YouTube. For paint I could not find a direct match, so I cut straight lines that sort of integrated the repair in with the graphics. If you look close, it looks like it was done by a disinterested 15 year old - I'm definitely NOT a fiberglass repair guy. But if you didn't know about it, I bet most people would walk by and not even notice it.

I still have a couple of rounds of sanding and then final paint to go - I think I can find a better match on the "grey" paint. Here's how I left it so we could go on a recent trip. I can't advise you on your rig, but if there was no structural damage, the outside CAN be repaired without a lot of expense. I actually kind of enjoyed this new experience and gained some skill and tools in the process.

Hope this helps.

Name:	Repair 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	30246

Name:	Repair 1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	30245
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:36 AM   #7
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Marine repair facilities do this kind of restoration all the time. I'd recommend contacting a boat fiberglass repair in your area and discuss with them what they'd do and how much it would cost.

Have you filed the insurance claim yet? Most insurance companies take on the responsibility of locating suitable repair facilities to complete the work, of course with the approval of the insured. What have they suggested?
Progressive is having me take it to an authorized Keystone repair shop for an estimate
Vet4jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
Progressive is having me take it to an authorized Keystone repair shop for an estimate
When a tree fell on our Springdale and made the roof look like a colander, Progressive "guided us through the entire process"... I'd suggest you "wait and see" what their claims adjuster has to say. Their job is to supervise RV repairs from start to finish and they do it hundreds of times a month.

When our RV was damaged, I made the choice to let Progressive help us through the process. They didn't let us down. I'd suspect you'll get the same "guiding hand help" from your adjuster.

Keep us posted as things progress, it'll help others in the same situation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #9
travelin texans

There are body shops that specialize in rv repairs. I gouged mine a couple years ago, fortunately not all the way through, took it to a rv body shop in Tucson that did a fantastic job repairing it, took about 4 week's & most of that trying to get parts from the manufacturer, finally they actually fabricated some so they didn't have to wait for months. I'd recommend this type of shop rather than a rv dealer where it may sit for months waiting it's turn.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote