Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

My concern, at this point in the conversation is: WE STILL DON'T KNOW THE ACTUAL TONGUE WEIGHT OF THE OP'S TRAILER NOR DO WE KNOW THE ACTUAL WEIGHT OF HIS TRAILER.....

Without those two "extremely important" weights, any "workaround vehicle" may wind up being just as "detrimental to safe towing" as what he currently has....

When "guessing" there's always a potential to "guess wrong"....

OP: Weigh your trailer and post that information, then you'll get "real world recommendations" not "best guess if..." recommendations....

Do it once, do it correctly, don't step off the deep end into "deeper water" (financially) trying to improve on a guess !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #22
travelin texans

[QUOTE=HideoutSpadz;411877]Hi All

Thank you all for the tough love and hard knocks truth.

My first concern is my family’s safety. Second is the safety of others on the road. 3 is the truck....as expensive on an issue it could be!

So I have decided to not make any trailer changes and HAVE decided to change my truck.

I have an opportunity to get a 5.7 litre V8 Hemi Ram 1500 for a minimum increase in payments. The alternative is an F150 XTR as that will also be a minimal increase but am concerned about the turbo blowing out as I’ve heard issues about the engine not lasting.

I will Definitely be looking at all the stickers to determine the correct action.

If you have thoughts on the Ram 5.7l V8 versus the F150, please chime in.

Unfortunately the 250 or 2500 are not an option for me at this time.

Thanks again![/QUOTE

With either of these trucks seems you're trading a 1/2 ton for a 1/2 ton one with a V8 & the other another V6 so what are you gaining? A couple hundred pounds of payload maybe! All I can see is definitely a slight increase in payments for the same truck.
Why not the 2500? Get IT with the Hemi if you're willing to increase payments.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #23
HideoutSpadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
HideoutSpadz, While a certain brand of truck may be the favorite for you and others, the point is, you are contemplating buying yet another 1/2 ton. The V8 will likely be more capable as far as pulling power but the payload issue still looms. Since you seem to have your eye on a very specific 1/2 ton, what does the number on the payload sticker on that truck say? Going from a bad choice of tow vehicles to a less bad choice may not be the way to go... just my opinion, of course. Payload????
The payload for the Ram 1500 V8 (from the sticker on the door) is 1716 pounds.

Rated tow capacity is 11,500.

I weighed my tongue and unfortunately it passed the max on the scale (770lbs) by about an inch which based on the scale ratios, I would put tongue weight at 875lbs. That’s with my typical load in the trailer.

My thought process is, use 950 pounds for tongue and add 600 for occupants putting my at 1550 which gives me 150 pounds in my payload.....again, I’m inserting some buffer room in my numbers which makes me believe the 150 Lbs payload room is more like 250ish range.

Given that the towing capacity is 11,500, I would make it a habit of putting my 300-400 pounds of gear in the trailer keeping my payload below max while bringing my total tow weight to about 8500 pounds.

Would you agree with my strategy?

Thx
HideoutSpadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

I have stayed out of this thread because everyone else has given you the best advice. I think your still going from not enough to not quite enough.

People always say “ I won’t put that much stuff in the trailer”, “I won’t haul water”, etc. invariably we all end up cramming more and more stuff and before you know it, your over weight.

Then there are those that say “this is the only trailer I’m going to buy”, once again too many times I’ve seen people “upgrade” a year or two later and at that point have to look at a new TV and trailer. Do yourself a favor and step up to the 3/4 ton. I have been through 2 TV’s and now my 4th trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #25
HideoutSpadz

[QUOTE=travelin texans;412000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideoutSpadz View Post
Hi All

Thank you all for the tough love and hard knocks truth.

My first concern is my family’s safety. Second is the safety of others on the road. 3 is the truck....as expensive on an issue it could be!

So I have decided to not make any trailer changes and HAVE decided to change my truck.

I have an opportunity to get a 5.7 litre V8 Hemi Ram 1500 for a minimum increase in payments. The alternative is an F150 XTR as that will also be a minimal increase but am concerned about the turbo blowing out as I’ve heard issues about the engine not lasting.

I will Definitely be looking at all the stickers to determine the correct action.

If you have thoughts on the Ram 5.7l V8 versus the F150, please chime in.

Unfortunately the 250 or 2500 are not an option for me at this time.

Thanks again![/QUOTE

With either of these trucks seems you're trading a 1/2 ton for a 1/2 ton one with a V8 & the other another V6 so what are you gaining? A couple hundred pounds of payload maybe! All I can see is definitely a slight increase in payments for the same truck.
Why not the 2500? Get IT with the Hemi if you're willing to increase payments.
Unfortunately the 2500 is not in budget. The 1500 Hemi is already $53K and the 2500’s are kicking up another $20+ thousand. Just not possible.

The V6 EcoBoost was only an option as it can tow 13,200 plus you add the max tow package giving you more. It also has about 100lbs more payload.

Having said that, I’m not a fan of the F-150 and get a better deal with Ram.

So you think with a slightly better than 1700 payload and 11,500 tow, if I put everything in the trailer keeping my payload at just occupants and tongue, I’ll be making a bad decision?
Old 09-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The payload for the Ram 1500 V8 (from the sticker on the door) is 1716 pounds.

Rated tow capacity is 11,500.

I weighed my tongue and unfortunately it passed the max on the scale (770lbs) by about an inch which based on the scale ratios, I would put tongue weight at 875lbs. That’s with my typical load in the trailer.

My thought process is, use 950 pounds for tongue and add 600 for occupants putting my at 1550 which gives me 150 pounds in my payload.....again, I’m inserting some buffer room in my numbers which makes me believe the 150 Lbs payload room is more like 250ish range.

Given that the towing capacity is 11,500, I would make it a habit of putting my 300-400 pounds of gear in the trailer keeping my payload below max while bringing my total tow weight to about 8500 pounds.

Would you agree with my strategy?

Thx
You are wasting your time with all the postulating and guessing. From your remarks you are either “locked in to” or for whatever reason convinced that a 1/2 ton is your limit. So with that predisposition and not having any real numbers you are continually “ making it work on paper” because you want it to work.

Good luck with your exercise in “ guess the number” to make it work.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

You don’t have to buy new. There are plenty of used 3/4 and 1 ton trucks below the price of a new one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #28
Bmackr6

Total towing capacity is an absolute useless number......I don’t care what it is it doesn’t matter at all.
Reason
You will run out of payload long before you reach your “towing capacity.”

Buy a truck based on payload, and then you won’t be sorry.
Bmackr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #29
HideoutSpadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have stayed out of this thread because everyone else has given you the best advice. I think your still going from not enough to not quite enough.

People always say “ I won’t put that much stuff in the trailer”, “I won’t haul water”, etc. invariably we all end up cramming more and more stuff and before you know it, your over weight.

Then there are those that say “this is the only trailer I’m going to buy”, once again too many times I’ve seen people “upgrade” a year or two later and at that point have to look at a new TV and trailer. Do yourself a favor and step up to the 3/4 ton. I have been through 2 TV’s and now my 4th trailer.
Thank you for your input and I completely understand your point. But there has to be a Mendoza line one way or another.

Either I cap my spend on my truck and buy my trailers within the capacity of such as well as pack accordingly or I completely dump my current 1 month old trailer, stay with V6 and buy one smaller and lighter.

I feel as though it’s a crap shoot either way. Spend way more money (like $200/m more in car pymnt) or live within the limits.

???????
Old 09-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #30
Northofu1

[QUOTE=HideoutSpadz;412072]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Unfortunately the 2500 is not in budget. The 1500 Hemi is already $53K and the 2500’s are kicking up another $20+ thousand. Just not possible.

The V6 EcoBoost was only an option as it can tow 13,200 plus you add the max tow package giving you more. It also has about 100lbs more payload.

Having said that, I’m not a fan of the F-150 and get a better deal with Ram.

So you think with a slightly better than 1700 payload and 11,500 tow, if I put everything in the trailer keeping my payload at just occupants and tongue, I’ll be making a bad decision?
Not sure where you're looking for trucks, I found my truck for close to the same price you're wanting to pay for a 1500. That was also in Canadian dollars and 13% tax added.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for your input and I completely understand your point. But there has to be a Mendoza line one way or another.

Either I cap my spend on my truck and buy my trailers within the capacity of such as well as pack accordingly or I completely dump my current 1 month old trailer, stay with V6 and buy one smaller and lighter.

I feel as though it’s a crap shoot either way. Spend way more money (like $200/m more in car pymnt) or live within the limits.

???????
At this point your going to lose some money if you upgrade tow vehicle or get a smaller trailer. What are your LONG TERM plans? If upgrading your trailer is even a remote possibility, then bite the bullet now and get a bigger (not necessarily new) truck and consider it an investment in your future.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #32
HideoutSpadz

Long term for 3-5 years is to stay with what we have. It’s large enough for the family. Has the amenities needed.

I don’t see (At this point) doing a fifth wheel or a 35 plus foot with 3 slide outs. We are long weekenders going within 300km radius of home.

Post 3-5 years.....who knows. Could abandon the whole concept or look to upgrade trailer quality/value but stay in the same range or upgrade completely. Not the type of person to try and predict that far out....more living in the next 18-24 months at a time.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #33
Javi

https://www.covertfordhutto.com/new-...8W3DT9LEE18801
Old 09-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #34
Cyberian

Watch these guys in December and January for left-over 2020 2500 and 3500

https://www.victorychryslerdodgejeep...rnetPrice+asc&

I bought my '18 2500 Tradesman from them new in January '19 when they had more than 60 '18s on hand and were blowing them out @ $33,500

Their explanation for the price was that the wind generator guys would come in and buy 10 at a time, so MOPAR shuffled all the New Old Stock to them
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #35
HideoutSpadz

Thx but I live in Canada.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #36
Cyberian

Quote:
Thx but I live in Canada.
Never stopped them from selling. They have buyers from all of North America including CA and MX fly in to drive home new trucks when the prices run right

A MT buyer purchasing new in KS was like water off a duck's back to them

Digital speedometer switches easily between kilometers and miles. Likely saved my butt driving to a Blue Jays game from Hartford CT
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Long term for 3-5 years is to stay with what we have. It’s large enough for the family. Has the amenities needed.

I don’t see (At this point) doing a fifth wheel or a 35 plus foot with 3 slide outs. We are long weekenders going within 300km radius of home.

Post 3-5 years.....who knows. Could abandon the whole concept or look to upgrade trailer quality/value but stay in the same range or upgrade completely. Not the type of person to try and predict that far out....more living in the next 18-24 months at a time.
I wasn’t trying to imply you would upgrade to a fifth wheel. I started with a fiver in 1989, so bumper pulls were never on MY radar. If your overloaded it doesn’t matter if your going 3 miles or 3,000 miles. I guess at this point, your pretty much set on staying with what you bought...enjoy and be safe. Hope nothing bad ever happens.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #38
tech740

Buy a used 3500 and don’t look back. I have now had new and used trucks, I would buy used again if I can’t swing new.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #39
Gegrad

[QUOTE=HideoutSpadz;412072]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I paid $43k for my 2500 6.4L.....Just a thought.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

???????

Throughout this you haven't posted the payload of your truck although asked several times. So now you have the oft repeated conundrum presented to new RV owners - more truck? less trailer? take a chance with the family? etc.

Here's the deal to me bottom line - safety. Some vehicle combos are marginal and some are just a huge red flag from the getgo...that would be your situation.

In your mind the options are "I can't afford a new truck" so dump the 1 month old trailer and keep the V6 truck. That shouldn't even be a thought. When you dump the old trailer you will lose your wazoo, when you buy a new trailer you will lose your wazoo yet again. RVs are not like houses or even vehicles, their value drops like a ROCK once purchased.

In addition to the above the inescapable fact is that the V6 truck is just not, in any way, meant to tow an RV. To do so will eventually get you and/or others in trouble. So the scenario is you want an RV and you can't use the V6 - it cannot be in the equation unless you want to get a pop up. Now, what do we do with that? You have a 1 month old trailer and replacing it is a lose, lose, lose proposition - far worse than acquiring a new truck - which, if done properly, you can use for this trailer and the next should you choose to upgrade...which you probably will.

$200 mo. to upgrade to a HD truck from what you have? I'm not sure I get that unless you're going from a stripped 1500 to a loaded Laramie 2500. The base price for a 2500 over a 1500 is approx. $2500 - it's all about trim levels and options...trust me, I've bought lots of them.

I guess the bottom line is up to you. You bought a new trailer and don't have a nearly adequate tow vehicle. The path from that is not cheap unless you dump the trailer. It would do no good to dump the truck and have a trailer you can't use nor is it viable to keep that V6 truck and try to pull that trailer.
I and countless others have had to bite that bullet and upgrade trucks, sometimes repeatedly. It's the nature of the beast if you're going to do it right - and safely.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing