Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #61
jim1

Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone knows the measurement on a ram 3500 SB from the front of the box to the edge of the factory puck system. I'm wondering if there is enough room for a tool box or tool/fuel box combo. Thanks
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #62
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone knows the measurement on a ram 3500 SB from the front of the box to the edge of the factory puck system. I'm wondering if there is enough room for a tool box or tool/fuel box combo. Thanks

I can't go to the truck right now but probably can in 1 1/2-2hrs. You want from the front wall of the bed or from the top rail which will be shorter?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #63
Zoe

Two more short bed Ram 2500 questions

Not new to the forum, regularly follow and have found many answers within! Thanks to all the experienced and The sage! Moving up from a Ford F-150 pulling a Passport Elite 19RB to a new Ram 2500 with a 6’4” bed going to haul a 2021 Cougar half ton 23MLS- our first fifth wheel! Have done the research and we’re very comfortable with the pairing. Getting mixed messages about the hitch and would like some guidance there. The “Max turn technology” pin on the fifth wheel states it is “short bed friendly. The corners of the Fiver nose are rounded somewhat. One dealer told us a “short bed” was a 5.5’ bed and that 6’4” is the new “standard” and that we would not need a slider. Another said any truck that has a bed less than 8’ needs a slider. ??? The other question may seem terribly elementary but we need to know- does the height of the truck bed affect the overall height of the camper or is the fiver leveled somehow via the pin or the hitch so that it remains the height of an unhitched parked and level fiver? Thanks again to you all!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #64
sourdough
Site Team

I am in a Ram 3500 but my 2500 had the same bed. I have not had any issues with the Andersen in the 3500. Didn't want the size, weight or hassle of a full size slider. I've read of some that do and don't use sliders in the 6.4' Ram bed so if you want a particular hitch I would then research it.

I'm not sure what the dealer was talking about with the 6.4' being the new "standard" bed and the 5.5' being a short bed. I guess I'm of the old school; 8' bed is a long bed and the 6.4/6.5 is the short bed. 5.5 is just.....too short.

The height of the truck bed does have an impact on the height of the pin/level of the trailer. The hitch and pin both have adjustments to raise/lower the respective parts to get as good a fit as possible. Unless your 2500 has been modified in some way you should not have any problems.

Looked at that trailer and that looks like a nice unit. What drive train do you have in your 2500? The reason I ask is that 10k is what the gvw of my last trailer was and it could put a strain on the truck depending on which Ram I drove, the engine, tranny and ratio.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #65
Zoe

Thanks, Sourdough, still lots to learn. Not entirely fluent in “truck” yet, but I think this might answer what you’re asking- it’s a 6.4L heavy duty Hemi with MDS, 8 spd auto 8HP75-LCV transmission. Rated to handle 16,000#. The cougar won’t get near that loaded, but we do a lot of driving in the hills and mountains and don’t want excessive strain on the transmission. We weren’t falling for the line that the f150 could handle it!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #66
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Thanks, Sourdough, still lots to learn. Not entirely fluent in “truck” yet, but I think this might answer what you’re asking- it’s a 6.4L heavy duty Hemi with MDS, 8 spd auto 8HP75-LCV transmission. Rated to handle 16,000#. The cougar won’t get near that loaded, but we do a lot of driving in the hills and mountains and don’t want excessive strain on the transmission. We weren’t falling for the line that the f150 could handle it!

Thanks Zoe. The 6.4 w/8 speed is a great combination. Do you know the rear axle ratio? Probably 3.73 or maybe 4.10. Look on the inside door pillar of the driver door and there should be 2 stickers; 1 gray with axle ratings etc. and a white/yellow/black sticker that says load should not exceed xxx lbs. Those will help you know what you have. The 16k towing capacity isn't really applicable with an RV.

I suspect your payload (carrying capacity) should be in the 3000-3100lb. range unless you have the limited or laramie. Either way you should be good on weights. That trailer has almost 3k lbs. of carrying capacity so, if you're like me, you won't get near that and won't reach the gvw.

Let me know what ratio you've got (if you can find it and what those stickers say) and I can give you an idea of what to expect out of the truck. They are great trucks IMO.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:12 PM   #67
jim1

Hey Sourdough if you measure from top rail it should be close enough for me. Thanks, I appreciate all the help and knowledge available here. Thinking about a new TV but the lovely bride doesn't need to concern her self with it yet.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #68
jasin1

I have a 2012 ram 2500 6.7 short bed. I bought the Reese sliding hitch. Initially I used it in slide position when maneuvering because I was afraid of hitting cab. I’ve come to realize that it’s not needed most of the time. I can back into sites or my driveway in full forward position and it doesn’t come close to hitting cab. I left a site in the finger lakes that had a tight turn and limited forward access so I used it To be safe in that situation. Haven’t had any issues in regular driving.
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed