Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

I'm resurrecting this thread for just a bit of an update.

I am by no means a pellet smoker pro - still learning. My biggest hope was top have something that would allow me to smoke meat (chickens, pork shoulder, brisket, ribs) and do a good job of grilling. Pellet smokers aren't very good at that from everything I could find and it's something I do all the time. I didn't want to smoke everything or cook it like it was in an oven. I've made some excellent progress with this little smoker -

Mine came with the solid drip tray - no way to get to a good grilling temp. The older models had a 2 piece perforated tray that could be moved to open up the grate for open flame grilling, which I ordered. There are some great add on "grill grates" that you can add as well. Sort of like heat sinks. I set the smoker to 450 and the grates heat to 600 or so. The normal small grill inserts on top don't do anything for "grilling" but the grates fix that. I also bought a smoke tube for next go round on smoking.

I initially had no idea what I would get from this thing. My hopes were to eliminate the issues with carrying a gas grill and then buying a cheap charcoal grill everywhere we went....and still unable to smoke anything. I think I've found the solution for me. I'm leaving the gas grill (to join the others in the "gas grill graveyard" at the barn) and won't be buying the charcoal grills, associated charcoal/LP bottles etc. everywhere I go. I've got my fingers crossed that this is "the one".

Just wanted to update because I know all of us are looking for that perfect "grill" that does what we like to do. I'm giving this a whirl this winter and will update. I will not that it does not take the place of my Blackstone and induction cookers for "other cooking".
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #22
Chris P

Danny, What exactly are you looking for from the pellet ? The ability to sear? For chicken breasts,Pork ,Its perfect, Burgers on the flattop, As well as steaks.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Danny, What exactly are you looking for from the pellet ? The ability to sear? For chicken breasts,Pork ,Its perfect, Burgers on the flattop, As well as steaks.

I want the pellet to serve the function of a gas/charcoal grill/smoker with the higher temps, searing and a little of the charring that occurs with an open flame (along with quicker cooking times). I don't do burgers (unless smash burgers) or steaks/ribs (not racks)/chops on a flattop, skillet etc. I like the hotter, open fire and it is one of the reasons I've had such a time trying to find a "one size fits all" in a smoker/grill vs carrying/buying/giving away all kinds of cooking paraphernalia on every trip. I do understand I want a lot but I have to say that, after research and buying "stuff", I am as close as I've ever been to getting the "one". Now, I leave in a few weeks using that assumption; I may end up with a truck load of new cooking gear after several weeks, but I've experimented now for several weeks and I'm confident we're going to be happy. Just wanted to let anyone interested that the "smoker" can be much more than that from what I've found.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #24
Chris P

I agree, I'm in the same boat as I carry 3 grill, Griddle ,pellet and a small gas Coleman, I'm almost ready to get a mini max big green egg,very portable but fragile. I have the large egg, A Davey Crocket gmg pellet and a Weber gas grill for home, And the little GMG for camping. So many grills so little time.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
I agree, I'm in the same boat as I carry 3 grill, Griddle ,pellet and a small gas Coleman, I'm almost ready to get a mini max big green egg,very portable but fragile. I have the large egg, A Davey Crocket gmg pellet and a Weber gas grill for home, And the little GMG for camping. So many grills so little time.

Man, that is the truth. I'm not into an egg for travel. My son had the large egg, asked my GS to move it 5' (he was 30), dropped it a bit and poof! it was destroyed. He loved it but said he wouldn't have another. I think when traveling in an RV, like anything in an RV, it is a matter of tradeoffs and trying to get the best you can out of what's been dealt.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #26
Jim2366

After reading these post I found the same grill that I use at home in a smaller size. Its the lower cost egg grill smoker. Its metal so it will withstand the bumps on the road.
Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill, Graphite. Its just $150. Amazon delivered early so I hope its still on the porch. We are camping at Eisenhower State Park near Wichita KS.