Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
Musicmancgs

Keystone 1760 Battery Issue

Hello all!

We just purchased a new Keystone 1760 BH. We went to pick it up today after a week in storage and the battery was completely dead. I am looking at ways for this not to be the case and wanted to ask a few questions.

1) I saw that there is a 10 amp fuse located near the battery box that looks like it connects to both terminals. Could that be a battery disconnect fuze? or what would that fuze be for as it is separate from the others.

2) We do not have 30 amp hookups at storage but do have standard power plugs. We bought a converted to plug out 30 amp into the standard plug. Would that provide enough power to keep the battery from dying?

3) or is it best to just disconnect the battery? If i do this do I still need to check the water level or is that just when it is running? I did refill the water today as it was very low in all three spots.

Thank you for your response to these or any other suggestions/tips you may have for this first time owner but long time camper!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	31435  
Musicmancgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your new purchase. The fuse your talking about is most likely from a solar panel system. If your trailer came with solar prep those wires would be the “charge” line.

There will be parasitic draws like the radio preset, LP detector that will stay on if the trailer is connected to the battery.

Some people install an aftermarket battery cut off switch, factory installed used the Positive cable, others use the Negative cable. You could just remove the battery, or if you trust your adapter and extension cord won’t get up and walk away you could leave it plugged in.

Hope this helps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

As Chuck mentioned, there are multiple ways to isolate the batteries but even then you need to put a battery tender on them for prolonged periods. When at home and in storage I keep my trailer plugged into 110vac with a 50A/20A converter cable. I DO have to keep an eye on the water and fill it from time to time. I installed a battery watering system to make it simple.

You said you added water, it was very low and you added it in all three spots? What 3 spots do you reference? A 12v battery should have 6 individual caps or 2 strips with 3 plugs each. Yours shows to be an Intersate SRM 24 so should have 2 caps with 3 plugs on each, or, 6 cells. If the water was badly depleted the battery has probably been damaged.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
Musicmancgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As Chuck mentioned, there are multiple ways to isolate the batteries but even then you need to put a battery tender on them for prolonged periods. When at home and in storage I keep my trailer plugged into 110vac with a 50A/20A converter cable. I DO have to keep an eye on the water and fill it from time to time. I installed a battery watering system to make it simple.

You said you added water, it was very low and you added it in all three spots? What 3 spots do you reference? A 12v battery should have 6 individual caps or 2 strips with 3 plugs each. Yours shows to be an Intersate SRM 24 so should have 2 caps with 3 plugs on each, or, 6 cells. If the water was badly depleted the battery has probably been damaged.
You are correct, Shortly after I posted this I realized there was a second cap with three more plugs. The battery has been working well so far... Hopefully its not damaged. I am looking into having a battery disconnect installed as it probably wont ever go more than 6 weeks or so without any use.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you leave it plugged in while in storage, then there isn’t a need to install a disconnect. If you do it however, you DO need to check the water in the battery at least once a month.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:46 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

RV batteries have a rather large learning curve. They are not like the batteries in your TV remote control When a battery is drained below about 50% state of charge (SOC), then it will be damaged. By how much is hard to tell. Given yours was also low on water, I would think you're not going to get much more out of it and should consider replacing it.

To keep your batteries healthy, you should keep them charged up. Never let them go below about 50% SOC and keep an eye on the water level (at least monthly).

If you have access to 120v power at your storage site, I would definitely use that. The charger in your trailer will maintain the battery properly. However, you should make sure you use a quality 30A -> 15A adapter. Get one of the yellow dog-bone ones and not the little black hockey puck looking ones. They will melt.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:50 AM   #7
Musicmancgs

Thank you all! As it turns out there is also an issue with my converter. I am taking it in soon to get it fixed. Still had a great time camping last weekend and can’t wait to take it on more trips!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:04 AM   #8
cavie

you have a battery disconnect. It must be "IN Use" to keep the battery charged. The fuse you posted does not go from post to post. It goes to some piece of equipment and back to the battery. Even if you have the battery disconnect off there still is somethings attached to it and working. CO detector. LP detector. Stereo for clock etc.

Tags
battery, keystone