Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
jasin1

1/19/2020

Most users ever online? What was so special about that day... just been curious about that statistic for awhile. Is that the day everybody realized we were F#$@ed for the year because of COVID?
Old 12-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
dutchmensport

Well, I wasn't "on" that day. I went back and searched my posts. I posted on 3/17/2017 and the next post was 1/22/2020. I was an avid member of another forum web site, and it turned "South" and just got ugly. I quit using it about January and haven't been back since, and probably never will. I'd been a member of the Keystone RV forum for some time (since 1-26-2013) when we purchased our Keystone Springdale camper.

Later sold the Springdale for a Keystone Outback, so I jumped on the Outbacker's forum a while, and when we got our Montana High Country, jumped on the Keystone Montana Owners Club forum. All the while running parallel with this one.

But on 1/19/2020, not I on here.

click here, scroll down for stuff which happened this day.

Actually, it was a pretty amazing time in US History, and we ALL lived through it!
Old 12-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Well, I wasn't "on" that day. I went back and searched my posts. I posted on 3/17/2017 and the next post was 1/22/2020. I was an avid member of another forum web site, and it turned "South" and just got ugly. I quit using it about January and haven't been back since, and probably never will. I'd been a member of the Keystone RV forum for some time (since 1-26-2013) when we purchased our Keystone Springdale camper.

Later sold the Springdale for a Keystone Outback, so I jumped on the Outbacker's forum a while, and when we got our Montana High Country, jumped on the Keystone Montana Owners Club forum. All the while running parallel with this one.

But on 1/19/2020, not I on here.

click here, scroll down for stuff which happened this day.

Actually, it was a pretty amazing time in US History, and we ALL lived through it!
Thanks I’ve been seeing that date at the bottom of the page..and thought I’d ask
Old 12-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you look at the banner on that section of the forum front page, the "tag" right now is: "CURRENTLY ACTIVE USERS: 418 (17 MEMBERS AND 401 GUESTS)"

If you consider that right now, there are 401 "non-members" poking around the forum webpages and only 17 members, only 5 of which are not "viewing forum index" (a nice way of saying, doing nothing on the forum)...

My guess is that of the 2187 users on 1/19/2020, only about 25-30 were members, the rest were "google spiders", foreign SPAM bots, people from Russia, China, Pakistan and other places where nefarious activity is probably the only reason they are watching what you say, looking for weaknesses in the forum, waiting for a member to slip up and post their phone number or address, or if they've already done that in the past, to post when they'll be away from home for an RV trip.....

In other words, of the 2187 people, it's likely better than 2150 of them are "spying on everything posted, linked or discussed on the forum.... That's the reason the site team tries so hard to keep the posts "clean, free of personal information and prevent personalities from shining through the keyboard".....

Looking back, I remember when we had more people from China and Russia spending time on the forum than we had members who actually owned an RV. Now, that "population of forum users" grows and diminishes as the political winds change.... By "political winds" I don't necessarily mean "US political winds" but it could be "Russian political winds" or "Chinese political winds" or "North Korean political winds".... Any of which could motivate a "bot" to become more active in watching us.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:14 AM   #5
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My guess is that of the 2187 users on 1/19/2020, only about 25-30 were members, the rest were "google spiders", foreign SPAM bots, people from Russia, China, Pakistan and other places where nefarious activity is probably the only reason they are watching what you say, looking for weaknesses in the forum, waiting for a member to slip up and post their phone number or address, or if they've already done that in the past, to post when they'll be away from home for an RV trip.....
Thanks for the reminder John. This is the only social media app I use, so I appreciate being reminded of just how public the content is.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #6
BrooksFam

OP, Since the virus wasn't officially identified as a pandemic until March or April, I'm guessing its not the reason. Its just a random day. There has to be one day with the most viewers and that just happened to be then, for now...……..
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
Thanks for the reminder John. This is the only social media app I use, so I appreciate being reminded of just how public the content is.
It's not just "bad players" (bots) and Law Enforcement that use the public's use of social media and web searches. Data mining is a huge business. Insurance companies will look at your social media postings first if they suspect (and often even if they don't suspect) that are defrauding them. This is particularly prevalent with workers comp and disability insurance.

Consider every word, every picture that you post on social media as if it were going on billboards and on the news broadcasts all over the world. The "other" forms of electronic communication are only as secure as your sending, and the receiving parties devices. Seems like there's a steady stream of "data breach" alerts from major banks, retailers, medical providers, you name it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
OP, Since the virus wasn't officially identified as a pandemic until March or April, I'm guessing its not the reason. Its just a random day. There has to be one day with the most viewers and that just happened to be then, for now...……..
Thanks yes I’m a detail kinda guy. I notice stuff in the background and get curious. I’m no fun to watch a movie with either lol