Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Adding helium

If I fill the tires with helium and fill the interior with helium balloons while on the road can I pull a Bullet 1700RB with my Suzuki Samurai?
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
ROBNPEN

Assuming you cleared out all furniture and fixtures, my quick calculation suggest you have approximately 1,300 cubic feet of interior space. Helium has a lift capacity of approximately 60 lbs per 1,000 cubic feet, so you should achieve a weight reduction of about 80 lbs... So, yep .. good to go.
ROBNPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Sarge2

Wouldn't you like a ride in my beautiful "balloon"...
Is this one of those "if a chicken and a half, laid an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long would it take a grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle"?
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
linux3

Oh don't be silly.
I'm pretty sure someone posted about puling their 330BHS with a Suzuki Samurai and almost didn't know it was back there.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNPEN View Post
Assuming you cleared out all furniture and fixtures, my quick calculation suggest you have approximately 1,300 cubic feet of interior space. Helium has a lift capacity of approximately 60 lbs per 1,000 cubic feet, so you should achieve a weight reduction of about 80 lbs... So, yep .. good to go.
Maybe to be safe I should look at a bigger trailer to have more room for helium. Or maybe strap some more balloons to the front and back. Will the back bumper be able to take a vertical load?
Old 12-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I think you're onto something!! It might take a Geo Tracker to be completely in clear with that 330bhs, BUT BE CAREFUL!! I've seen it; it can be done but you could get TOO much helium....I watched UP!

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Great news. Now if I can figure out how to fill my pontoon boat with helium I could pull that behind the trailer.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
If I fill the tires with helium and fill the interior with helium balloons while on the road can I pull a Bullet 1700RB with my Suzuki Samurai?
You don’t really want a boring physics lesson do you???
Old 12-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #9
fatcatzzz

Next you will be complaining about trailer sway because the trailer does not have enough tongue weight.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #10
skids

You would have to use a weight distributing hitch to lift all 4 tires of the Suzuki off the ground.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

No hitch, just a rope to the trailer, like a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #12
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Great to have a little fun on here! Would be even better if this type of post was strictly fictional but it seems that every week brings a real life example of "You sure can tow this with that" and someone who doesn't know any better believing it. We can hope that one day someone will come up with a website that gives a true and accurate matchup for travel trailers and fifth wheels and what can realistically tow them. Even a small fee would be reasonable for truly accurate info. Pay your one week fee, put in your known entity, and find what can be towed by it or what is needed to tow it. My Christmas wish!
Old 12-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Great to have a little fun on here! Would be even better if this type of post was strictly fictional but it seems that every week brings a real life example of "You sure can tow this with that" and someone who doesn't know any better believing it. We can hope that one day someone will come up with a website that gives a true and accurate matchup for travel trailers and fifth wheels and what can realistically tow them. Even a small fee would be reasonable for truly accurate info. Pay your one week fee, put in your known entity, and find what can be towed by it or what is needed to tow it. My Christmas wish!
There are literally "hundreds" of such calculator programs available (for free). All anyone has to do is a "google search" for topics like: "Trailer tow vehicle weight calculator" or any such similar search topic.

Here's just a few:

https://fifthwheelst.com/conventiona...alculator.html
https://canitowthis.com/
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
http://towcalculator.com/
https://rvtowcheck.com/

The problem, at least as I see it, is that there's way more "gullible people" than there are "honest salesmen"... That leads to people believing what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear..... Then, after they buy it, they come here to "check for sure"....

It's a problem that comes with our "disposable society": If it breaks, throw it away and buy another one... That grows to include major purchases. People buy first and ask questions later.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Every time someone comes along and asks a question "can I tow X with vehicle Y ?" then proceeds to argue with the dozen or so people that say no and here's the numbers why, I think of this Darwin quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charles-darwin-11114.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	31171  
Old 12-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Great news. Now if I can figure out how to fill my pontoon boat with helium I could pull that behind the trailer.

If the helium in the pontoon boat doesn't work out, let the helium out slowly and take a whiff and amaze your friends and family with your new WAYNE NEWTON singing voice!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #16
Pull Toy

Sure! Here's how we fixed our dilema!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5er.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	31174  

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #17
Sarge2

Well that was SMART..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #18
QCMan
Gone Traveling

I was not referring to some program with many disclaimers but to a reference that gives true certified results. Something that would hold up to scrutiny instead of "here is our advice but don't hold us to it". Possibly a panel that has automakers and RVIA representation.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I was not referring to some program with many disclaimers but to a reference that gives true certified results. Something that would hold up to scrutiny instead of "here is our advice but don't hold us to it". Possibly a panel that has automakers and RVIA representation.
I don't think you'll ever find that kind of "I'll accept legal responsibility for everything you put into my program, hoping that you don't make a mistake" kind of certification. There are just too many variables, too much risk and it's too expensive if someone decides to sue you, even if they're the one who's wrong..... It costs more to defend yourself in court than to go to a "we only charge if you win" shark.....

And, to add "insult to injury", just think how many people would argue with "stone cold facts" by saying, "but my salesman told me....." The owner/operator of such a website would be "forever vulnerable for everything"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:10 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

To John's point above....

I worked in the Development Dept (Realestate, Construction, Facilities) at a couple of retail and restaurant companies for several decades. One thing the Legal Dept always stress was to not take on responsibility that wasn't warranted. Simple right? Well I've seen several times where a store manager would get tired of hearing customer complaints about landlord issues and take it upon themselves to have it repaired.

In a couple of those cases the customer would sue the leaseholder for damages. As a corporate representative I would be in court also. In each case the customer would prevail and basically the judge had the attitude of "you fixed it now it's your responsability".

So a "simple disclaimer"? I doubt it. Unfortunately we live in an atmosphere where we are "surrounded" by TV lawyers hacking "get your no risk to you large sum of money". And like John said, the cost to the company to fly myself and an attorney into a town, hotels, meals, rental cars, etc. could be very costly. Add in an "expert witness" or two and well, you get the idea.