Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

Am out camping in Camp Wood Texas at the Nueces River RV & Cabin park and Monday night there was a hard freeze across most of this area of the world. Power got knocked out at our home and the well stopped working. There are contact points that have to be manually tripped when this happens so I had to drive home about an hour and half and get the well going. On the way back my truck died on Hwy 90 in Sabinal and I had to call Good Sam towing. Had to wait six minutes to talk to an operator due to higher than normal call volumes (do they always say this in every auto-message?). They got the tow truck dispatched (had been in San Antonio) and the truck got there in under an hour and towed my truck to Uvalde where I got to Griffith Ford and they were wonderful and got my issue fixed immediately; also got the oil changed at the time and was able to get back to the camp ground without issue. Cudos to Good Sam in this case but I think, like any towing service provider, it is the luck of the draw if they have a local towing service on their call list or how long it would take the tow truck to get to your location if the tow truck dispatched if the truck is many miles away. I once had to get a tow through Progressive Insurance tow system and I was in San Antonio and needed towed to a local dealer (it was a Can Am Spyder) and it took 9 hours of confusion and waiting. The issue is generally with the contract tow companies.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #22
diesel22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post
Anybody subscribe to a roadside assistance plan? (Good Sam, Escapee, etc)

if so, which one, and is it worth it?
Had GS. Had a blowout in northern BC. Don't know about the service as had no cell connectivity. Changed the tire on my fifth wheel and drove another 180 km to the next town. Bought a used wheel and tire the next day and then drove 500 km to Whitehorse where I bought four new tires.
diesel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #23
Mikelff

I have USA Travel care. Used them twice last year. Had to wait about an hour and a half for help the first time, about 45 minutes the second. They had limited tools both times. I loaned them some of my tools to get the job done. My problem are the jacks. I guess I really need to break down and buy a 12 ton jack. Luckily I made it to my campground and they changed my tire there. Sometimes I have heard of people having to pay for repair and send in receipts for reimbursement. That can take over a month. At least I didn’t have to do that. So basically its a crap shoot. If you need it and don't have it you pay through the nose. I have come close to breaking even so I guess I’m glad I have it.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #24
Northern Lights

Good Sam

We've had Good Sam roadside for quite a few years. The plan for a 5th wheel is $125.00 per year.
We used their roadside towing service before we sold our MH & got the Montana. Never had a problem. They once towed the MH all the way from Key West to Miami for a repair that couldn't be done in the Keys. That's about 170 miles. I'm glad I didn't have to pay that tow bill.
We used them once this year for a flat tire & were satisfied with their assistance.
They also cover all vehicles & utility, cargo, motorcycle and boat trailers with the plan we have.
But, I evaluate all options when it's time to renew.
Northern Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #25
Traveler2017

I have BCAA RV Plus which CAA/AAA have used it twice for tow vehicle issues and once for a flat tire on the RV all three times received exceptional service. The flat service and one battery boost were in California and one time in Canada for flat on the tow vehicle.
VE7HSQ
Traveler2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #26
Viet_Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post
Anybody subscribe to a roadside assistance plan? (Good Sam, Escapee, etc)

if so, which one, and is it worth it?
I have Good Sam Platinum Complete. It offers much more than roadside assistance. It also covers road hazards to repair or replace your tire and/or wheel, emergency medical evacuation, pays to have your RV returned to home in case of illness, etc. They have a special running right now for $119.95 the 1st year with auto renewal. If you don't want to keep it after a year, just call and cancel auto renewal.
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #27
B-O-B'03

I am a 28+ year member with AAA Plus RV.

We have used it with the trailer a couple of times, once we were 75 miles south of Amarillo on 287 and the alternator seized up, it was after midnight and I was glad we had cell service. I think the wait was less than 2 hours and the driver towed us to a western auto parking lot, in Amarillo, where we "camped" until they opened and I could buy a replacement.

The second time we were headed to Big Bend NP and the front seal of the transmission blew, dumping fluid on the crossover exhaust pipe and starting a fire (that was exciting ) It was after midnight that time too and the tow was 125 miles, with 5 of us + the driver in the cab of the flatbed for the tow back to the house (glad we hadn't brought the dog too).

Plus RV covers the first 100 miles of any tow.

When we first got it, it also covered the kids and their cars, now it is just the 2 of us with 2 cars, pickup and trailer. I am not sure of the cost, the DW takes care of it, but I think it is under $100.

-Brian
Old 12-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #28
HDroadglide

I have Good Sams and AAA. Never need them but if I do I can give a call.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #29
DDuncan51

Good Sam

Good Sam. I've subscribed to Good Sam for as long as I can remember. I've used them a few times. Each time I got priority and fabulous service. It's a bit expensive, but well worth it for the piece of mind.
DDuncan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #30
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
I have the best good Sam offers. I haven’t used it but I believe in getting the best you can for these type of policy’s. I have two 35’ boats I keep at my house I can be anywhere in the Chesapeake bay and I will be towed back to my pier if I have a big problem or any marina I choose along the way. I can even be on someone else’s boat and have the same coverage. It’s BOAT US unlimited towing and wasn’t a whole lot more then intermediate coverage that would only tow to the nearest marina which could be 100 miles away from my pier. And it did pay for itself a few times over the years with my sons boat.
I think when your on the side of the road somewhere facing a long tow back home in your rv ,the extra money for the best coverage would be well worth it and is the cost of one dinner in a nice restaurant once a year
I used SeaTow for years. Well, I PAID SeaTow for years, never used it. This summer I talked to my State Farm agent and she explained my boat coverage...tow me to nearest port or where I launched. Good enough.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:33 AM   #31
jimborokz

We've had Good Sam since our first 5er seven years ago. Used it three times. Had blowouts two different times on Interstates and was back on the road within an hour. Both times had very competent operators. The other time was with our current rig. We got hung up on the spare leaving our private winter site. Our first rig didn't have the spare under the tail. That time they brought in three trucks before they got me out. First one broke his cable. Second one was just too light to handle the job. They brought in a bigger truck and he got me out. They had to left the weight off the spare and then get me back in the site where I then back off the site the way I came in. The whole ordeal took about 4 hours and I was worried about time limits. The operator said no problem as it was all his fault it took so long.
When we renewed this year I got the platinum plan cause DW was concerned if something happened to me and she's not gonna haul that rig.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:09 AM   #32
Dadwoolery

We have Good Sams and AAA. Last year traveling out of Beaver, UT we blew a brake line going down the mountain. Good Sams hauled the truck and camper back to Beaver. Very happy with the service.
2000 Ford F350 DRW, 7.3 Powerstroke
Dadwoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #33
Phil Saran

I've had AAA road service for about 48 years and added the RV
coverage about 35 years ago.

I've had to use them for the car/truck and once when I had a MH.

So far have not had a need for the 5th wheel trailer.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #34
Badbart56

From my experience as a supervisor over a DOT sponsored roadside assistance program in Florida (Road Rangers) Good Sam's was the most competent service by far. So many AAA service providers had no capability for moving fifth wheel trailers. And the response time for AAA was questionable at times.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote