Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Papa of 7

No 120v in camper, but do now.

BTW, I am new here, don't beat me bad. Lol I have a 2020 Passport 2950bh that was bought new in April. We have been on 3 short camping trips and seems everything has went well. We have a trip scheduled for Monday so I plugged in to my 50 amp plug at home yesterday so that the battery would charge up and the refrigerators would get cold. Went out about 3 hours later and I had no 120 volts anywhere. I checked breakers, I check Surge protector, I checked connections, even checked the 35 amp fuses on the convertor. Snapped all breakers inside 10-15 times and still nothing. I worked checking everything out for hours yesterday and today and found nothing. Called my dealer and suggested everything I had already done. I went out a couple hours ago and it has started working, I don't have a clue what happened unless it has some safety feature that I don't know about. It didn't have 120v anywhere for 12 hours or more.. What do you think?
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

First, Welcome to the forum if you haven't been welcomed already. I suggest you go up to the USER CP and add your camper year, make and model along with the same for your tow vehicle. Folks may miss it if you just put this info in a post and I am sure you will have more questions.

First question; Is your camper 50A service? If so what type "surge protector" are you using.

A surge protector will not do anything if your power goes out or has a fault at the power source. I recommend an ELECTRICAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM which would have provided an error code while you had no AC voltage in the camper.

The next thing that makes me suspicious is your outlet. Have you tested voltage on this outlet? Be careful messing around with alternating current if you are not electrical savvy. I would also look at a loose ground; it will be the big white wire going from your converter to the frame (not familiar with your camper model but it will go under and connect to the frame fairly close to the converter I suspect). I would then look at the converter and make sure the main neutral ground is secure in its distribution bar. That is the white wire from your power cord through the trailer to your converter. I would DEFINITELY disconnect power to the trailer before tightening any lugs that retain the neutral ground on the distribution bar. I am not sure what the official name is for what I am calling the distribution bar but it will be where the white wire from the power source connects and all the white wires go to your breakers.

If your problem isn't fixed going through these steps, drag the camper to a repair place and since it is under warranty insist that a tech go through things if possible.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
Papa of 7

It us a 50 amp supply and a 50 amp system. I bought the Surge Guard 44290, just to check to make sure no open grounds. Yes, I am savy with electricity, built and wire my entire house. I will check the wires you mentioned after it is disconnected and report any findings. Thank you so much for responding!!!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Papa; I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 44290 is just a gussied up "surge protector", not an EMS. If you look at it it might tell you there is a fault but it won't do anything about it. Here is a link to a true EMS built by Surge Guard. I have the same EMS but without wireless. I will upgrade shortly. ;

https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-Sur...68416252&psc=1

Do you have a multimeter? Did you check the outlet etc. to see what voltage was or if you had it? A VOM is a must in my opinion. From the sounds of it the power never made it to your trailer. Have you used that plug before? The breakers inside, or any physical breaker, aren't going to restore on their own after 12 hours. Was your cable properly inserted at plug; attached at trailer?

2 things I would do before leaving Monday is 1) replace that "surge protector" with the EMS I listed (there are others) and 2) buy a VOM if you don't have one and take a crash course on its use or just ask here.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
Papa of 7

Yes, I used a voltmeter and tested the end going into the rv while unhooked. I also tested it without the surge protector, which I believe only checks the box to make sure it is wired correctly. I will look into the one you mentioned. I used that plug several times since April. I removed and inserted the cord on both ends several times and sure it was inserted and tighten each time.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You had 120 on both power legs going into the RV?
Old 08-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
Papa of 7

Yes, best I remember 123 on both.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

From your description I'd suspect that you lost the neutral. When you were doing your "checks" for power were you checking from the line to neutral or line to ground? Once to turn a breaker fully off then back on there's no need to do it a bunch of times after that.
I'd check the connections in the trailer distribution panel, with no power of course, to make sure all the wires are secure. I've read of more than one instance of the connections being loose. A few ended up with melted wires from it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #9
Papa of 7

Thank you, I will do that later when the shade comes over. It is a little warm here. 90°
Old 08-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with Marshall. Next place is behind the power panel in the trailer.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #11
Papa of 7

Well you guys are great! I took the panel face off, two neutral wires were loose, one turned maybe a half turn, one a complete turn, and one was over tighten enough that it was cut into, it was laying on the ground bar, I guess messing with it allowed it to get a connection. These were all the white wires. Everything is tight now, hot side to the breakers were all tight. All of the heavy wires were tight, I even checked all the 12v connections. I believe you have saved the day, or week in this case. Thank you so much!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

If you wired a home you are comfortable with electricity. Pull your breaker panel and check incoming power there and work outward as needed. Be certain to verify a solid neutral. If you lose neutral on a 50 amp system you can easily have 240 volts on all circuits, destroying equipment.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #13
Papa of 7

Notice my last post as you were writing yours. I believe I have. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

Excellent! Glad you found the cause of the problem.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
From your description I'd suspect that you lost the neutral. When you were doing your "checks" for power were you checking from the line to neutral or line to ground? Once to turn a breaker fully off then back on there's no need to do it a bunch of times after that.
I'd check the connections in the trailer distribution panel, with no power of course, to make sure all the wires are secure. I've read of more than one instance of the connections being loose. A few ended up with melted wires from it.

I think that checking the neutral bar in the converter was one of the things I mentioned. These are OFTEN not tight and I suspect that electricity vibrates a tad and causes set screws to loosen.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #16
Papa of 7

You got it for sure! Thank you so much!
Old 08-14-2020, 05:14 AM   #17
Papa of 7

Got the the EMS ordered, shipping wouldn't be before my trip this past Monday, so I ordered it yesterday and will have it Tuesday, a week before my next trip. I made friends on this past trip who had the one you mentioned, it shut him down twice with low voltage surge. Just doing its job! Thanks again
Old 08-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa of 7 View Post
Got the the EMS ordered, shipping wouldn't be before my trip this past Monday, so I ordered it yesterday and will have it Tuesday, a week before my next trip. I made friends on this past trip who had the one you mentioned, it shut him down twice with low voltage surge. Just doing its job! Thanks again
Camping in PA this week our EMS started to alarm low voltage. Down to 105 v, it's been a rough heat wave with Temps in the upper 90's with ridiculous humidity. Fortunately I have a Hughes Autoformer. Plugged that in line and incoming voltage was steady at 110.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #19
Papa of 7

Great, Happy Camping!
Old 08-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #20
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa of 7 View Post
Well you guys are great! I took the panel face off, two neutral wires were loose, one turned maybe a half turn, one a complete turn, and one was over tighten enough that it was cut into, it was laying on the ground bar, I guess messing with it allowed it to get a connection.

Just clarify for me if you would - which panel are you talking about? The main panel in your home or the panel internal to the RV?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote