Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #21
Rber1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Sorry, no. I've never been there and had to look it up on google to see where it was at. A lot of our "close" camping is done in Townsend and we also really enjoy going south to the Chattanooga area. Next year is our first ever "Out West" trip....Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Moab area.
Trip out West sounds exciting.. Been wanting to do that same type of trip also. Just need to do a lot more research before I would undertake that type of trip. Good luck next year on your trip.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rber1234 View Post
Trip out West sounds exciting.. Been wanting to do that same type of trip also. Just need to do a lot more research before I would undertake that type of trip. Good luck next year on your trip.
What research? Hook up the RV & head towards the sunset, lots of stuff to see between your house & there. A 2 week's vacation ain't near enough time to see it all.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:12 AM   #23
notanlines

Richard, I'm with Danny. Pack a few clothes, some goodies and beer in the fridge, boot the kids and their electronics into the F-150 and GO!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:28 AM   #24
xrated

I guess a couple of things come to mind here for me. 1. I've never done a long trip before with a large camping trailer, and I'm talking a 44' trailer being towed with a CrewCab Dually with an 8' bed. So for me, I want to make sure I do the best job I can in getting it correct.....places that I can fit into, roads that I want to avoid (narrow, tight switchbacks, etc.). 2. I'm more of a "planner" vs. a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy. For example, at the end of the 350-400 mile day of driving, I want to KNOW that I have a campground spot waiting for my arrival because I planned for it and have a reservation. Obviously, things can happen along the way to cause those plans to change....road conditions, storms, flat tire, accidents on the highway that blocks traffic, etc., but at least I've tried to do my part in making it work. I also know that a lot of planning ahead of time isn't for everyone, but it's what I feel better doing. Being retired definitely takes some of the pressure off because we really don't have any "solid" deadlines and can be somewhat flexible if something does go off base a little.

I've already spent quite a lot of time on the "routing" part of it and the research for where we will be staying at the end of the day for the entire drive out there. Next up it is time to try and tweak the schedule as far as how long to stay in each area. Part of the pressure is that when you do an out west trip, and especially if you've never been out there before, is the fact that some of the more popular places to visit, like Zion for example, campground reservations need to be made long in advance of when you will be there. There are simply some places that you don't just call a day or two ahead of time and reserve a spot. Anyway, enough about that all of that.....I just say that I'm really, really looking forward to the trip, and it's still slightly over a year away.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:42 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Planning or “just going” it’s whatever makes you comfortable. We do a lot of “hybrid” style traveling since retirement.

Example: we planned a trip to Dollywood. Planned a one night stay about 1/2 way there and three nights in cg at DW. It was late March so off season.
After the three nights we extended two more nights there, Explored Gatlinburg, and Smokies. Called Loretta Lynn ranch and booked three nights there. After exploring the area we headed west. Decided to visit Memphis and while driving DW called Tom Sawyer CG in Arkansas across the river from Memphis. Stayed there three nights.

Started to head back East on a different route and repeated the process thru KY, WV, then back home. Was one of our most enjoyable trips for us and I think not having a rigid schedule is one of the factors.

Here’s the thing. I spent many years in a career where I caught this flight to x, meet these people at x+4, inspect a site at x+7, go to hotel at x+10. Catch flight home at y and repeat. So I enjoy the freedom to “ go explore and spend time” and if something interests either of us we go “check it out”.

Like I said, to each his own, the “right way” to do it is your way as long as you and your traveling companions are happy.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:08 AM   #26
Papa of 7

Now, that sounds a lot like the way I would do it. I use to go to the Smokies without hotel reservations, and try to get a room until it got so busy they were all booked up. But that was before the internet. Lol
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #27
sonnyw

Hello from a retired old fart down the road in Gallatin TN!
sonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #28
HDroadglide

welcome on board.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #29
Papa of 7

Hello Sonnyw, and HDroadglide!
Old 08-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #30
itfowler0707

Congrats on retirement. A lot of great people and info!
itfowler0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #31
Papa of 7

There sure are, I love this forum. Thanks
Old 08-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #32
tonysr

Hello from the great lake state of Michigan.
tonysr is offline   Reply With Quote