Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Awning Fix?

I don't know if my awning can be repaired. I don't have much experience with them. The issue is the area of the awning that is always exposed after it is rolled up is tattered and the layers of material are separating...doesn't look pretty.
The rest of the awning which is not exposed when rolled up is in good shape.
So, the question is do I need a new awning or is there a practical way to repair the last foot or so? I have a bad feeling I need a new one.

Thanks,
John
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I am in the same boat. I put white duck tape on the area for a temp repair. Been that way for about 3 years now, I need to re tape it each summer. I am going to phone the dealer and get prices for a replacement fabric. Thinking about going to a better fabric. In the catalogs they show 2 or 3 good, better best type replacement.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

It is not a new awning, nor a "fix all" but I ordered and used Performix VLP on the first foot or so of the awning of my last trailer. It worked for as long as I had it. I does not give you a "new" looking awning but it does reinforce/renew what you have. Get enough so you can use a brush and apply liberally - do NOT roll up while wet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:24 AM   #4
fjr vfr

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I see some of the new awnings have a metal section which when rolled up covers the vinyl material. Seems like a good idea.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #5
flyingjack

sourdough, I like your idea of "advance" reinforcing the high wear/damage areas of the awning. I saw youtube using "Flexsteel" coating. A larger can and you paint it on. Don't know anything about either product but would like your opinion. Our 2013 Montana (bought new by us) awning spends 80% of it's life rolled up. Not full-timers but plan to keep this 5th wheel forever and do repairs as needed.
Thanks
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
travelin texans

Shade Pro & Tough (maybe spelled Tuff) Tops both have reasonably priced awning & slide topper fabric replacements & neither are difficult to change with a couple people with ladders, plenty of how to videos on UTube.
Replaced my 2 largest toppers for about $100 a piece & about 2 hours with my SILs help.

Edit;
Mentioned in the following posts, there is tension on the roller tubes of both awning & slide toppers, but a pair of vise gripe type oil filter pliers will clamp on the tubes nicely to hold tension while replacing fabric.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63696_I.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	26544
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
Roscommon48

there is awning tape which might work.

but if your awning equipment is still good just have the canvas replaced....I'd recommend having someone do it, there is a tension issue when changing it out.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+awning+canvas
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Customer1

Your awning fabric is shot, there is no repair. New fabric on eBay should be about $150. I get about ten years or a little more out of the fabric.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Thanks, I'll look into that.

I see some of the new awnings have a metal section which when rolled up covers the vinyl material. Seems like a good idea.

Yes, there are awnings that have the roll up metal section at the end to protect the awning fabric. I was going to have that installed on my awning and slide toppers until I found the pricing on it - almost doubled the price of the toppers. Far cheaper to just replace the fabric every several years. I wanted to put the fabric/roll up metal protector on my 9100 awning on the last trailer but you can only retrofit certain models and mine wasn't one of them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

We has the Aluminum "awning guard" on our Holiday Rambler. It does protect the awning fabric, but there's a "Achilles heel" to everything, that style awning included.

The awning attaches to the trailer "awning rail" with a 1" canvas strip, then there's the aluminum guard, then the awning fabric. So, when the awning rolls up, the aluminum does "encase the fabric, protecting it" BUT that canvas strip still dry rots, loses its waterproof coating, leaks down the side of the trailer and eventually gets mold, mildew and green "yucky stains" on the side of the trailer....

So, for the money, I won't pay that price for the same/similar problems in 5 years.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #11
fjr vfr

A lot of good information. Now to start researching the different options.
Not going anywhere for awhile, so I have the time.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #12
Badbart56

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/search...acement+fabric

These folks ship fast.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
crk112

Curious what I should be doing to my awning ahead of time to prevent this? Appreciate all the good advice on here...
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
raylinkz

I use Eternabond tape

https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...s%2C263&sr=8-2

Haven't tried it on my awning, have repaired my roof around the skylight, excellent repair for over 2 years. Will repair my awning when it starts to fade from the sun and weather. will use 2 rows of 6" with the top row overlapped about 2 inches (give or take).
raylinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #15
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It is not a new awning, nor a "fix all" but I ordered and used Performix VLP on the first foot or so of the awning of my last trailer. It worked for as long as I had it. I does not give you a "new" looking awning but it does reinforce/renew what you have. Get enough so you can use a brush and apply liberally - do NOT roll up while wet.
I can only find it in a small 1 oz tube that is meant to be applied to small tears. Even the company web site does not list any larger sizes.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylinkz View Post
https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...s%2C263&sr=8-2

Haven't tried it on my awning, have repaired my roof around the skylight, excellent repair for over 2 years. Will repair my awning when it starts to fade from the sun and weather. will use 2 rows of 6" with the top row overlapped about 2 inches (give or take).
A 50' roll of 6" EternaBond tape sells for around $75. You can buy a replacement vinyl awning for $135 on eBay and sometimes find a replacement fabric awning for $35-45 on clearance. Not to suggest that EternaBond wouldn't work for your intended purpose, it may. Rather I'd ask, why spend $75 to repair a small part of the awning fabric when you can buy a new one for not much more ($75 vs $50-135) ? Surely, when the "rollup part" of the awning is damaged by UV, the rest is fairly close to similar damage..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
I can only find it in a small 1 oz tube that is meant to be applied to small tears. Even the company web site does not list any larger sizes.
Here's a 12 ounce size or a 1 gallon size. According to the spec sheet. a gallon will give 60 sqft coverage, so 12 ounces would cover around 6 sqft of surface.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=30861

The 1 gallon size is listed near the middle of the webpage in a link to that product. 12 ounces is $20 plus shipping, 1 gallon is $93 plus shipping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #18
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Surely, when the "rollup part" of the awning is damaged by UV, the rest is fairly close to similar damage..... YMMV
Our 2011 Alpine awning looks brand new except for the few inches at the top that are exposed 100% of the time wether rolled up or not. Rest is even colorful with little fading. Would love to find a repair that doesnt require replacing an 18 foot wide awning.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #19
FordFella

For awnings and slide toppers, Stone Vos is the way to go. 10 year warranty and made in USA. Everything is custom made...

www.stonevos.com
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
Our 2011 Alpine awning looks brand new except for the few inches at the top that are exposed 100% of the time wether rolled up or not. Rest is even colorful with little fading. Would love to find a repair that doesnt require replacing an 18 foot wide awning.
If, by using the term "repair" you mean "fixing what's on the trailer now" you might consider taking the fabric off the trailer, having that "16" faded/cracked part" replaced at a marine upholstery shop. Most can cut off the damaged part, sew on a "better than OEM awning protective layer" and do it for about the same cost of a new fabric of equal quality"... It's the "of equal quality" that gets most people. Keystone, on most of their trailers, use "standard quality" or "entry level quality" awning fabric. Replacing that with a $125 awning fabric is about an "apples to apples" trade. On the other hand, you can purchase an acrylic awning fabric with an improved HD UV guard for about $400. That will probably be the last awning fabric you'll ever need to buy.

As a comparison, you can buy a 120" Carefree slide topper for $300 or you can buy the same length Carefree slide topper for $1200. Both cover the slide, but they don't use the same components and they are "night and day different in quality". Both work, just one works better, for a longer time with less visible deterioration and improved function. But they both provide "shade" so in the end, they both "do the job".

It's sort of like buying a leather sofa at Big Lots and buying a leather sofa at Neiman Marcus.... They're both "called leather" but they aren't nearly the same quality. Same with canvas awning fabric, vinyl awning fabric, acrylic awning fabric...

That same "few inches" that you describe as "bad on your awning" is the same "few inches" that rot and mold/mildew on even the best awnings with an aluminum UV cover... They all have that "vulnerable attachment spot"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
awning