Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
For some "know it all" people you don't ever have enough truck unless it is a dually 3500, even for a teardrop trailer.

NOT necessarily true. You can get tow and carry weights for your specific truck as it left the factory by giving the VIN # to a customer service person at RAM factory or they can tell you where to access that info. If you are interested. Everyone wants to give their opinions even if not requested. I was pleasantly surprised when I got this info on my RAM 2500 2013.
Open the drivers door, you'll find the same info as it left the factory as you'll get from someone sitting a desk answering the phone at the factory which they are most likely reading from the same false brochure as you'd get at the dealership.
From "one know it all" that had plenty of truck to another "know it all" that thinks they'll be just fine towing overweight PLEASE post when/where you'll be towing so the rest of us can avoid the inevitable.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #22
GHen

I’ve always questioned if an overloaded vehicle will still be covered by insurance if they cause an accident. If they won’t pay repair costs will they still pay medical costs for the innocent people affected?
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #23
CaptnJohn

My wife want d to replace our 2 year old Montana with h a much heavier Montana, especially in the CCC area. I said yes knowing the almost 3 year old F350 srw would require a new F350 drw. No bags ever needed on any of my TVs. Buying a capable TVshould be 1st and 5er 2nd. Much better than trying to make a Cadillac out of a VW.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I’ve always questioned if an overloaded vehicle will still be covered by insurance if they cause an accident. If they won’t pay repair costs will they still pay medical costs for the innocent people affected?
I think an insurance company will go to any length to not pay a claim and an attorney will go to any length to get money out of anyone with any culpability.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #25
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think an insurance company will go to any length to not pay a claim and an attorney will go to any length to get money out of anyone with any culpability.
This is 100% the truth.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
BUT if what Chuckster states is true, I would very concerned about having to drop my 5er at the side of the road for being over GAWR!
Brother in law watched it happen at Pismo beach. Last dealership I worked at, customer was bringing his unit in for service. Got pulled over 2 miles from dealership, didn’t have the endorsement on his drivers license. His trailer sat on the side of the road until he got it.

It does happen!! Got to remember, Ca and CHP are “eager for revenue”. I’m not inclined to give them any more than I have to.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Brother in law watched it happen at Pismo beach. Last dealership I worked at, customer was bringing his unit in for service. Got pulled over 2 miles from dealership, didn’t have the endorsement on his drivers license. His trailer sat on the side of the road until he got it.

It does happen!! Got to remember, Ca and CHP are “eager for revenue”. I’m not inclined to give them any more than I have to.
I can chuckle a bit at that, when we were towing with the 2001 Ram 2500, we were 1,700# over GVWR, but still about 300# under rear GAWR.
I will give the OP credit as he knows where he is at weight wise. He has also made sure he has enough wheel and tire.
What scares me is those that get a big rig and throw bags on their 2500 or 3500, and call it good without hitting the scales, and have overloaded wheels and tires!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #28
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

I don’t disagree that the CHP will make you drop the trailer but it’s not because they are eager for money. CHP doesn’t get any money from writing tickets. All of the revenue from citations goes to whichever jurisdiction (city) the ticket was written in.

The state of California however, is eager for money. Obviously. Their main source of revenue from vehicles is from registration fees, which as I’m sure you know, are pretty high here.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #29
notanlines

I believe Cap'n John and I have a small difference of opinion. The RV should be purchased FIRST and then an appropriate TV bought second. All that will happen is that the usual truck salesperson will tell the buyer that the 3/4 ton gasser they're about to buy will pull the socks off a rooster. Mama heads to the RV show in Hershey and guess what Montana she picks? RV first and TV second!
Roast me, I can take it!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Didn’t know that, Thanks for the clarification.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #31
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe Cap'n John and I have a small difference of opinion. The RV should be purchased FIRST and then an appropriate TV bought second. All that will happen is that the usual truck salesperson will tell the buyer that the 3/4 ton gasser they're about to buy will pull the socks off a rooster. Mama heads to the RV show in Hershey and guess what Montana she picks? RV first and TV second!
Roast me, I can take it!
Not always the case, those that are upgrading, you have both already, get a new 5er and Oops now the old TV is over GVWR!
Well let's see scales show over over GVWR, under both axles and tires, the new TV can wait. We towed our Copper Canyon for near seven years with the Ram 2500, never needed bags to be level.

Both Chunker and Dennis852 are pushing the limits of their SRW TV. There are many with TH that do this, want the big 5er, but refuse to use a correctly sized TV for the job, because the TV is too BIG!
I just shake my head at these people as as full timers our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW is our only vehicle AKA Daily Driver.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #32
dutchmensport

Dennis852,
I don't know much about trucks (really), but I agree the front looks nose high and the tail looks tail low. Normally, that is not too much of a problem if the out-of-level is not too great. The problem with a tail low scenario is the fact you can so easily drag the rear of the camper on even some of the slightest dips. I know. I've done it myself many times with a 41 foot 5er, and I'm sitting pretty level.

The other problem is, if you lower the front, you run the risk of hitting the bed rails. Um... this also happened once on me and I put a crack in my front cap, which I was able to fix myself. And fortunate, did not damage the truck bed rails at all. So, even a level set-up, still has issues when the camper is so long.

In your case (and I'm not arguing anything about your truck here), it sounds like your only option is to flip the axles on your camper. That will raise the front and the back some, possibly making everything level and even give you a little wiggle room to adjust the pin-box.

If you have already flipped the axles, then I honestly do not know of any other solution, except the purchase of a different truck that sits lower. It's quite obvious, your truck can't be modified any further.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #33
GHen

I agree with Dutchman, not many other options, you may need to raise the trailer to match the truck.

I don’t remember if there were comments on the shackles, I think I can raise mine a couple inches with the suspension setup, of flip axels which will go up 6”. But your steps will also go up by the same amount.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:10 AM   #34
rhagfo

I think the only way to get that trailer level is to build a sub-frame.

Tags
raptor