Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
saleen89ca

leak

Hey everyone I have a 2012 312bh. I have recently discovered a leak some where in the front bedroom. I believe it is under the bed. Question, how do I access this area? and has anyone else had this issue?? Thanks in advance for you help and advise.
saleen89ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
ajk170

Saleen89- I luckily haven't had a leak under my bed but looking at what I think your layout looks like, the bedroom setup looks a little similar to my '15 316RL. First I would ask when does it leak, only when on city water or only when using the pump and tank or when using the toilet flush or simply all the time? Based on that, you can figure out what type of issue you're looking at, valve, fitting or broken line. Also the rate that it leaks, pouring out or simply just seeping out that eventually accumulates. This too can indicate where and the type of leak. Knowing how my /15 Outback 316RL is, when I open up my access panel all the pex piping connects to the inlets and then immediatley go through a hole in the floor and branch out from there under the coach. Knowing that, if mine leak in the bedroom I know that the leak must be coming from teh pipes that are above the hole and thus either fittings, valves or a blown pipe in that area.

So, looking at picture of your coach, on the left side of the bed, the carpeted bump-out under the left wardrobe should have an access panel - you have to feel around for the screw-cap covers and pop those off to reveal the screwheads in order to remove the access panel. I can see from the outside photo that your water intake is right there. But before popping that panel, I would lift up the bed to see if there are any access panels under there tha I could remove to inspect. Where you see the water penetrating from is where you need to start to look for access. I suspect that it's leaking from the left side of the bedroom. Unlike your coach, my hot water heater and pump are all accessable in that little area (my left wardrobe sits over the hot water heater. So I would start with the under the bed first to see where the water is leaking, and if its from the left side of the bed, I would look for access panels under the bed (towards the head) for access and if nothing then move to the carpeted areas looking for the screw covers to open an access panel there.

If your fresh water tank isn't sitting under your bead, I suspect it's a valve or the pump (such as the city/fresh water tank) that's broken (assuming you've used that a few times in the recent past) or a connection that's just become worn out.

The only other thing you can do that I can think of is dropp some of the coroplast under the bedroom to start looking there, but if it's leaking below the floor, it's hard to rationalize how it's then leaking up into the bedroom.

I'm sure others will also chime in to help, there's a lot smarter people on here than me and they probably know things that I don't!

Here's what I used to get an idea of your coach. Let us know if this is wrong!
https://www.rvt.com/Keystone-Outback...56218-UX309706
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
ajk170

I would also say, that if it's a fitting that's worn out and needs to be replaced - or a blown pipe, I use Shark Bite fittings on all my pex. These are expensive but simple to use that any DIYer can tackle plumbing jobs. I get mine from Amazon but the home stores carry them but in a more limited number of sizes and type. Also, Shark Bite is just a brand name of the type of fitting, these types of fitting are made by others, but I have had zero issues with Shark Bites thus recommend them.

Here is what I just changed on my black tank flush connection (i used a few other parts as well to change the entire connection, but this is the pex connection that I used).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
saleen89ca

Good day ajk170:
Thanks for your quick reply, I found the access panel and found the leak. The bottom of the pump has a very small crack in it and is leaking a small amount of water. We have diagnosed the problem and now we are going to get a new pump and this should solve the problem.

Thanks again. for your help, I was truly lost and had no idea where to start.

Kind Regards
Saleen89ca
saleen89ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
ajk170

Saleen89ca- No problem! Glad I was able to help!
Cheers!
-Andy

Tags
leak