Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
GilaElkHunter

Furnace doesn't work

Hello:
New here, and have a brand new High Country 310RE. We picked it up in Denver first part of June was 90 degrees when tech did the walk through with us, so we didn't run the furnace. We left Denver and went to see MT. Rushmore in SD. Temps were low thirties in the mornings. We tried to use the furnace and it does nothing. Fan doesn't come on nothing have tried everything I can think of, nothing. When I opened the outside cover to the furnace there is a white plug with a red, black, and two blue wires not connected and also a black, and two red wires also not connected to anything.
I was wondering if there is something missing (control board) or something?
Could someone please take a picture of theirs and post so I can see if something is missing? Any help will be appreciated
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

Sorry but it sounds like the selling dealer delivered a unit with missing parts. Shame on them as it should have been caught at PDI before delivery. Did they do it on purpose? I hate to say it but it is a possibility. Your missing some wiring and probably the control board. I would contact the selling dealer as soon as possible by Email and include pictures.

Email will give you a “paper trail” if things get sketchy. Let us know what the dealership says.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
GilaElkHunter

I have contacted the dealer with a whole list of things that need attention on this thing. They keep telling me to bring it in, that is 700 miles from home. I can't just bring it in. They will not even reply to emails or return phone calls now. They are a large dealership with multiple locations, one being about 200 miles from home, but I am so pissed at them I don't even want to go there. I think there is another Keystone dealer a little closer (about 150 miles) that I might try their service dept.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Furnace doesn't work

I am very sorry your getting the brush off. Be very “diplomatic” when you contact another dealer as they are under NO OBLIGATION to work on your unit. Sad fact is RV dealerships aren’t like Auto dealerships. The RV dealer decides what brands and models they sell, with the only restriction being geographical.

Keep us in the loop and we will try to help you as best we can. If you Email the selling dealer again make sure you check the settings that send you a confirmation of delivery. It sounds like it’s going to be an uphill battle, I truly wish you a fast resolution with a different dealership.

I am extremely lucky to work at a dealership that prides itself in “putting out” fires, and we have the Yelp reviews to prove it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
GilaElkHunter

Thanks for the encouragement Chuckster. I have been in email contact with a Keystone rep. who said he would let me know a Keystone service center to take it to.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
GilaElkHunter

I have been looking at pictures online of furnaces like mine and it looks like the circuit board is missing.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm going to throw this out with absolutely NO proof that it might have happened, but....

If there was a trailer that the dealer was trying to get ready for delivery or if there was an angry customer sitting in the sales room (making new customers uncomfortable by complaining too loudly) the dealership may have taken the control board from your trailer to install in the angry customer's trailer and then "forgot to replace it when the new one came in" or they may have even completely forgotten to order a replacement and when they delivered your trailer, never even checked to see if the furnace worked (summer time delivery) and no documentation that the control board had been removed.....

So, you wound up with a furnace missing parts that were cannibalized for another trailer and never replaced.....

As I said, it's not what "did" happen, but what "may have" happened.... In any case, it's not what "should have happened" !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

We “rob” parts to get a unit “over the curb” but even this week in 103 degree weather, I ran the furnace in a 2019 Reflection to verify operation prior to delivery.

I only say that to reinforce that it should have been discovered at PDI. Our “main” store takes parts off, doesn’t order replacements and then sends the unit to us as a sold unit a LOT of times.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
GilaElkHunter

Yeah I told the wife the exact thing a few minutes ago... That the service dept. robbed it for someone else and didn't replace it. I had to fix the hot water heater, it didn't work on elect. that was the easy one, they never plugged it in.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:14 AM   #10
rjsurfer

My furnace failed early on in my new Cougar, circuit board failure. The dealer said there is service write up from Dometic about a wiring issue.

Maybe they "needed" your circuit board more than you needed it.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
My furnace failed early on in my new Cougar, circuit board failure. The dealer said there is service write up from Dometic about a wiring issue.

Maybe they "needed" your circuit board more than you needed it.

Ron W.
I’d like to see the TSB if there is one.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #12
GilaElkHunter

Yeah I guess someone needed it, apparently they didn't think I ever would.
I have been searching around the net and youtube and I now know for sure that is the problem, there definitely is not a circuit board in there.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #13
markjamestx

This thread doesn't sound very encouraging but needed to get my question out there. Camped now at Glacier NP, and our furnace will not ignite. Fan runs and the pilot continually tries to ignited. Been on the road now for 3 weeks and have used the furnace several mornings. Checked fuses, plenty of propane (grille and stove top burn fine). Our TT is a 2017 Bullet Premier 31BKPR.

Anyone out there have any experience with this issue? Appreciate any ideas
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:27 AM   #14
Bazowie

I dont think that furnaces work very well regardless, I put aluminum tape on every seam and spot where I thought air would escape and the air flow still sucks. I have found using a Big Buddy is the answer for me.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #15
Happy Dad

If you have the iN-Command system check this thread as a possible reason your furnace isn't working.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=35941
Old 08-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazowie View Post
I dont think that furnaces work very well regardless, I put aluminum tape on every seam and spot where I thought air would escape and the air flow still sucks. I have found using a Big Buddy is the answer for me.
Holy hot air Batman! We had a couple 40' 5th wheels both had 2 acs & only wish those acs would've cooled as well as those little furnaces heated, you could cook meat inside after it ran a few minutes before it shut off.
Check the intake/exhaust tubes outside on the furnace, wasp & mud daubers love to take up residence in there preventing the furnace to operate.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #17
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
Yeah I guess someone needed it, apparently they didn't think I ever would.
I have been searching around the net and youtube and I now know for sure that is the problem, there definitely is not a circuit board in there.
After countless calls to the dealer and being told to call Keystone, and Keystone saying call the dealer, I might just be getting a circuit board shipped to me. I will believe it when I have it in my hands.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #18
markjamestx

THE FIX: Removed the wood return air grille beneath the fridge, checked the propane tank(s), breaker, fuses and then found an on/reset switch near the outside wall on top of the furnace. Turned the thermostat off, had the DW turn it back on while I reached back under the fridge and held the reset side of the switch down. Had to use a flash light and a mirror to determine what was off, and what was reset. It worked, came on with nice warm air.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:57 AM   #19
Roscommon48

We are all holding our breath....what is the latest on your furance?

we always try to use the fireplace and always have a quiet electric heater...furance is too loud anyway.

You could have tried to get a mobile rv repair service there and have it authorized for payment by keystone...we've done that.

But, welcome to the issues we all have when we buy a trailer a long way from home or traveling long distances.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
DHred

Unfortunately dealers rob parts all the time. Manufacturers are so slow at shipping parts they have no choice. We walked away from one unit we had intended to purchase because it looked like a spare parts supplier.
DHred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace