Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
Rednite

Trying to Hookup a satellite Dish

Hi, am new here so bear with me. We have a 2014 Fuzion Toyhauler 342 and trying to hookup satellite dish. There are two satellite prep sets in the outside compartment. Then in the closet in the bedroom there is an antenna booster that has an outlet marked satellite on top and one marked TV1 on the bottom. Then behind the main TV in the living room there is one outlet that is not marked for a cable input and the other outlet is got a cable running to the TV marked antennae in on the TV. Is there anywhere I can find info on which cables to hookup where. I know you need to have the antenna booster off but that is about all.
Rednite
Rednite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
rsl

Each Sat Jack on the outside should go to a particular room. The double jack behind your living room tv SHOULD be as follows; one jack runs to the sat prep jack outside and the other goes to Over the Air antenna/Cable (if booster is on it feeds ant, if booster is off it feeds cable).
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Rednite

Thanks I am still working on it. Can get it working when I hook the coax cable up directly to the receiver but when I try the outside hookup nothing seems to work. Will check with the manufacturer I guess and see if I need to do something extra
Rednite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednite View Post
Thanks I am still working on it. Can get it working when I hook the coax cable up directly to the receiver but when I try the outside hookup nothing seems to work. Will check with the manufacturer I guess and see if I need to do something extra
You may need to pull the covers off of the recepticles to make sure the connections are tight and thst the crimps are good. This question comes up often on the forum. If you do a search you'll find lots of reading material.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Satellite coax will be totally seperate from the park cable and roof antenna coax. Often times a different color coax is used for easy install at the factory.

You can remove the face plates and identify the colors for quicker diagnosis.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
rsl

Good Point did you get a Monday morning, Friday afternoon or right before or after lunch unit that someone forgot to screw the wire onto the backside of the plate?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
mikz86ta

ram Had it in his first post. Pay no attention to the booster in bedroom also. That's only an antenna booster for air. The park Cable will also run to that booster on the specified Input but will pass thru. The booster has Air input as well. And the booster has multiple outputs. TV1 output is on the front of the plate, TV2 (as well as TV3, TV4,etc) are on the back and go to the rest of the TVs in the coach. Those outputs go to the one coax behind each TV that's for Air & Cable only. And you have the one Cable input from outside your coach.
Satellite is by itself. The SatPrep outside the coach has seperate inputs for each room. Mine has 3. Depends on how many TVs you originally have equipped. I found that if you pull the outside plate on my 2016 FZ420, the RG6 cable is 3 colors. One is white, one gray, one tan. I pulled the inside wall plates for each TV to validate each color at each TV. They actually labeled my outside SatPrep plate and surprisingly it is correct! Lol
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #8
Tinner12002

Am I missing something or why can't you hook sat to the cable input and have sat at any TV you want based on your receiver location of course??
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Am I missing something or why can't you hook sat to the cable input and have sat at any TV you want based on your receiver location of course??
Satellite requires RG6 coax and won’t operate through a non bidirectional splitter. As a rule the antenna and park cable coax is RG56, and the booster is definitely NOT bidirectional.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Satellite requires RG6 coax and won’t operate through a non bidirectional splitter. As a rule the antenna and park cable coax is RG56, and the booster is definitely NOT bidirectional.
Thanks for the clarification on that!!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Well you could do that if you hooked the satellite receiver output to the cable input, then all tv's could watch whatever channel the sat receiver is tuned to. Of course this means the sat receiver input would have to be connected directly to the dish, and you couldn't use an IR (line of site) remote control without going outside to where the sat receiver is.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:38 AM   #12
BlueknightWI

I'm going to follow this thread. This summer, we stopped on the way home from Sturgis, at a park in MN. They had free cable TV. So, I hooked my satellite coax up to the cable input and got nothing at all. Everyone else in park had cable. I even went to other connections, but still got nothing. I also had issues with my Dish hookup. Couldn't get anything using the satellite prep connections. So, I finally ran the coax through the door directly into the satellite box, and had reception.
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite